Penang Tourist Visa

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:o

After a trip to Penang on the 14th of nov 2007, my friend got the stam " NO MORE VISA IN PENANG" he's been in Thailand for 6 month on a tourist visa and now no more.

So long Thailand the fun is over!!!

Mattias

And I have a friend who came back from penang yesterday (15th) with 5 previous t.v.'s from Penang and laos and wasn't given that warning. "So long Thailand, the fun is over"? For you maybe, but perhaps not for all of us.

After a trip to Penang on the 14th of nov 2007, my friend got the stam " NO MORE VISA IN PENANG" he's been in Thailand for 6 month on a tourist visa and now no more.

Mattias

And I have a friend who came back from penang yesterday (15th) with 5 previous t.v.'s from Penang and laos and wasn't given that warning. "So long Thailand, the fun is over"? For you maybe, but perhaps not for all of us.

I have a VISA O so for me no problem... My friend do have only stayed on Tourist visa. This is his third time after a trip to Europe... They said 3 visas then go back to Europe. Sorry, do'nt kill the mess....

Mattias

Mattias

I have a VISA O so for me no problem... My friend do have only stayed on Tourist visa. This is his third time after a trip to Europe... They said 3 visas then go back to Europe. Sorry, do'nt kill the mess....

Mattias

Laos,Vientiane seems to bee the place to go even for us living in Phuket, please keep us updated.

Mattias Phuket

Mattias

Mattias

Laos,Vientiane seems to bee the place to go even for us living in Phuket, please keep us updated.

Mattias Phuket

Yes, Mattias. I can see the next change being three t.v.'s and being told to go to back to Europe - a matter of sooner ot later?!

Mattias

Mattias

Mattias Phuket

Are you or do you know someone that has gotten a multiple entry O visa from Vientiane? I was told that they only issue single entry visas. It would be a lot easier for me to fly from Chiang Mai to Vientiane rather than Penang.

So what's the bottom line here if anyone knows? Is Penang out for getting tourist visas if you have a bunch in your passport already or not? Does anyone have concrete facts on this or just the usual heresay?

It's hard to ever arrive at a "bottom line" if for no other reason than the rules can change fast and very few people have exactly the same travel history.

Someone I know has just gotten his 4th consecutive tourist visa from Penang and did receive the "no more" stamp. He had not received the "application may be rejected" stamp when getting his 3rd.

So what's the bottom line here if anyone knows? Is Penang out for getting tourist visas if you have a bunch in your passport already or not? Does anyone have concrete facts on this or just the usual heresay?

It's hard to ever arrive at a "bottom line" if for no other reason than the rules can change fast and very few people have exactly the same travel history.

Someone I know has just gotten his 4th consecutive tourist visa from Penang and did receive the "no more" stamp. He had not received the "application may be rejected" stamp when getting his 3rd.

Sounds pretty gawd damm grim if you ask me

Fred,

No, Penang is still good for tourist visas. Usual story -whether you get another in your(perhaps) packed passport is another matter. This seems to be under scrutiny there now. The "hearsay" as far as I am concerned goes: does'nt matter if you have a new passport (at Vientiane,Penang wherever), they can still trace your history. I am not convinced on that one and will be testing it out in Laos in December with a new passport. Worst that can happen for me is I have to stay in Laos for three months...yippee!!!!

And there have been reports of people getting the stamp after only two visas.

If these reports are all true then it is obvious that there are inconsistencies in Penang. The only other explanation is that other factors are in play which may have something to do with the overall history of the applicant in Thailand.

There certainly are inconsistencies at all consulates; not so much at the embassies(?), I guess. Has to do with change of staff at the consulate, workload, new directives from Bangkok; what they think of the individual visa applicant, etc.

Edited by 7

I live in Penang and i heare this is happening all the time.

Even from a guy ho was not given a tv because he already had ben

given tree tv. One 2004 one 2005 and one 2006. Now this time 2007

he was not receiving it.

I dont want to brag, but i felt it was a matter of time this was going

to happen. Moved to to Malaysia 6 mo ago. Thailand is now only

fore short holidays.

Fore me Mattias express the same emotion i felt before when i got

the message from Thai government. October 1-2006! :o

To sad really. I to love Thailand. But better here in Malaysia than back

home (sweden) anyway! :D

I live in Penang and i heare this is happening all the time.

Even from a guy ho was not given a tv because he already had ben

given tree tv. One 2004 one 2005 and one 2006. Now this time 2007

he was not receiving it.

I dont want to brag, but i felt it was a matter of time this was going

to happen. Moved to to Malaysia 6 mo ago. Thailand is now only

fore short holidays.

Fore me Mattias express the same emotion i felt before when i got

the message from Thai government. October 1-2006! :o

To sad really. I to love Thailand. But better here in Malaysia than back

home (sweden) anyway! :D

The news just keeps on getting worse (from Penang). From what you've said here, they're counting all TV's in the passport irrespective on when they were issued.

It would seem absurd to count visas from 2 and 3 years ago.

From what you've indicated here the applicant was refused a visa without ever having a warning stamp.

I would recommend that anyone who goes to Penang for a tourist visa has some 'visa exempt entry' days available in case they are turned away and cannot gain entry back into Thailand. My other recommendation would be to not bother going there in the first place.

I agree with tropo on this. It seems now that Penang is the worst possible place now to go for a tourist visa if you have a few in your passport already. Why bother going there if you know you are going to get a nasty stamp in your passport? I'd much prefer to go to PP or even Manila and get my warning or refusal to my face. There have been rumors in the past that the Penang consulate was going to be shut down; I dont think that's a bad idea at all

All Consulates and Embassies have been instructed to limit the amount of TV,s issued. The only places where it would be considered easier to obtain are those issued in your HOME country.

Thailand IS closing the door on all foreigners who are "abusing " the TV system.

Why the quotes on "abusing"? Seems clear enough that tourist visas were never intended for permanent or semi-permanent stays in Thailand.

All Consulates and Embassies have been instructed to limit the amount of TV,s issued. The only places where it would be considered easier to obtain are those issued in your HOME country.

Thailand IS closing the door on all foreigners who are "abusing " the TV system.

Why the quotes on "abusing"? Seems clear enough that tourist visas were never intended for permanent or semi-permanent stays in Thailand.

Sigh...................... ABUSING is with reference to foreigners using TV,s for semi-permanent residence in Thailand. They were not designed for that obviously.

I fail to see the point of your post.

Sigh...................... ABUSING is with reference to foreigners using TV,s for semi-permanent residence in Thailand. They were not designed for that obviously.

Just wanted a clarification whether you were of the mind that using TV's for that purpose was abuse, or whether you were lessening the impact of the word abuse by use of quotes in an attempt to defend the practice. Thank you for taking the time to respond and for clearing things up.

Just wanted a clarification whether you were of the mind that using TV's for that purpose was abuse, or whether you were lessening the impact of the word abuse by use of quotes in an attempt to defend the practice. Thank you for taking the time to respond and for clearing things up.

Not another one?

There's no point discussing abuse here.

There's no abuse when a system is allowed. When it's no longer allowed it can't be abused either.

Some people have sufficient funds to take extended or permanent vacations anywhere they please.

If a person can show sufficient funds and money being spent in Thailand (ATM withdrawals) a tourist visa may still be issued to any applicant irrespective of tourist visa history. It would seem that Penang now requires proof that a person is not working.

J

If a person can show sufficient funds and money being spent in Thailand (ATM withdrawals) a tourist visa may still be issued to any applicant irrespective of tourist visa history.

Is this fact? If so, how does one go about obtaining a tv provided he has sufficient funds?

You are welcome.

However..........the word " abuse" was used in a UN meeting. It is not my take on it.