New York vows to sue Trump over immigrant children protections

webfact

New York vows to sue Trump over immigrant children protections

By David Shepardson

tag-reuters.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump gestures as he visits with flood survivors of Hurrican Harvey at the NRG Center, in Houston, Texas, U.S., September 2, 2017. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

(Reuters) - New York and Washington state on Monday vowed to sue President Donald Trump if he scraps a program shielding from deportation immigrants who came to the United States illegally as children.

The Trump administration is expected to announce on Tuesday that he will end the so-called Dreamers program but give the U.S. Congress six months to craft legislation to replace it, according to sources familiar with the situation.

U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions will announce plans for ending the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, program at 11 a.m. (1500 GMT) on Tuesday, but will not take questions, the Justice Department said on Monday.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, in a joint statement with the state's attorney general, Eric Schneiderman, said, "The president's action would upend the lives of hundreds of thousands of young people who have only ever called America their home."

The attorney general of Washington state, Bob Ferguson, also threatened legal action. "I will use all the legal tools at my disposal to defend the thousands of Dreamers in Washington state," he said in a statement.

Ferguson and Schneiderman were among 20 attorneys general who wrote to Trump in July to say that if he ended the program, they would defend it "by all appropriate means."

Nine Republican state attorneys general have said they would file suit on Tuesday if Trump did not end the program.

The White House declined to comment on Monday.

DACA is a policy created by former President Barack Obama that protects nearly 800,000 young people, often called "Dreamers," from deportation and allows them to work legally.

Under the shift Trump is considering, any Dreamer with a valid work permit would be able to remain in the United States until the permit expires, in the absence of congressional action, sources familiar with the matter said.

At the same time, the Department of Homeland Security would not target Dreamers for deportation, one of the sources said.

Dreamers are a fraction of the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants in the United States, most of them Hispanic. Trump as a candidate promised to deport all of them, but many Americans have rallied to support the young adults, who have spent large parts of their lives in the United States.

While Republicans in Congress have generally taken a hard line on illegal immigration and are sympathetic to the argument that Obama overstepped his bounds in creating DACA, several have stepped forward to call for action to protect the Dreamers.

House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan, the top elected Republican official, on Friday urged Trump not to rescind the program, as did Senator Orrin Hatch. Senator James Lankford said on Monday it was not appropriate to "hold children legally accountable for the actions of their parents."

Another Republican, Senator Tom Cotton, who has been particularly outspoken on reforming immigration laws, told the Washington Examiner he supports legislation that would protect dreamers and take legal steps to reduce illegal immigration.

Many prominent business leaders, including the chief executive officers of Microsoft , General Motors and Facebook Inc -- Satya Nadella, Mary Barra and Mark Zuckerberg, respectively -- have also urged Trump not to reverse the Dreamer program.

(Reporting by David Shepardson in Washington; Editing by Steve Orlofsky and Leslie Adler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-09-05

40 minutes ago, webfact said:

Senator James Lankford said on Monday it was not appropriate to "hold children legally accountable for the actions of their parents."

Stop "tearing families apart!"  When parents are held accountable for their actions and get deported, the kids they brought into the country illegally, go with them. 

Enforcement will be tough during transition back to sanity.  But..... from X date forward, folks contemplating a trip into the US illegally, will know there is no more loophole.  That will be the new normal, and how it ought to be. 

Politicians created this mess in the first place.  It's not sacrosanct or irreversible. 

5 hours ago, irwinfc said:

"...who came to the United States illegally as children"

liberals have created this confusion that illegal is ok and wrong is right (or left?)

Actually ,liberals have pointed out something that is also pointed out in the bible which is that the sins of the father should not be borne by his children. Why should children raised in America by undocumented immigrants be punished? It is cruel and unchristian for a country whose leaders fall over each other trying to prove how christian they are.

10 minutes ago, kamahele said:

Actually ,liberals have pointed out something that is also pointed out in the bible which is that the sins of the father should not be borne by his children. Why should children raised in America by undocumented immigrants be punished? It is cruel and unchristian for a country whose leaders fall over each other trying to prove how christian they are.

Very simple really, they're children of undocumented immigrants therefore they're illegal. Their parents' legal country of residence bears the responsibility.

Guest Jerry787

i was on bts 2 months a go, a drunkie' mid 50 american, smelling as he shall have a seen a shower few months a go, already half drunk at 3 pm wearing the infamous hat, "make america great again" , well i understand who are the one who voted trump.

cowards, racist, nazis are the one who attack the weak one, they have no courage to face reality, they hide their loser life, attacking the weak one, who if not trump can go against children ?  

and who , if not a loser red hat wearing fellow will agree with trump that they are not children, they are illegal... 

history even before the roman empire, teach a lesson, that maybe the red hat forgot, btw one beer to another, every empire will fail and once fail, how bad you did to innocents and others, they will pay you back... logical consequence of karma.

15 hours ago, kamahele said:

sorry, but not everyone answers to the same god/God. hence, in an attempt to maintain equality we create and follow laws made for ourselves. as for liberals, i couldn't care less about what they think. i've long abandoned understanding how they even think, if they think at all

22 hours ago, irwinfc said:

"...who came to the United States illegally as children"

liberals have created this confusion that illegal is ok and wrong is right (or left?)

I guess most Americans are liberals:

A majority of voters, 58 percent, think these undocumented immigrants, also known as Dreamers, should be allowed to stay and become citizens if they meet certain requirements — a sentiment that goes well beyond the existing DACA program. Another 18 percent think they should be allowed to stay and become legal residents, but not citizens. Only 15 percent think they should be removed or deported from the country.

Support for allowing these immigrants to remain in the U.S. spans across party lines: 84 percent of Democrats, 74 percent of independents and 69 percent of Republicans think they should stay.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/05/poll-trump-deporting-daca-dreamers-242343

15 hours ago, Jerry787 said:

i was on bts 2 months a go, a drunkie' mid 50 american, smelling as he shall have a seen a shower few months a go, already half drunk at 3 pm wearing the infamous hat, "make america great again" , well i understand who are the one who voted trump.

cowards, racist, nazis are the one who attack the weak one, they have no courage to face reality, they hide their loser life, attacking the weak one, who if not trump can go against children ?  

and who , if not a loser red hat wearing fellow will agree with trump that they are not children, they are illegal... 

history even before the roman empire, teach a lesson, that maybe the red hat forgot, btw one beer to another, every empire will fail and once fail, how bad you did to innocents and others, they will pay you back... logical consequence of karma.

Wow. You actually saw an American in Thailand wearing trump merch? That's fascinating. I've never seen that and don't really expect to. I did see a Thai boy wearing a funny Thai t-shirt -- "trump ... finally a president with balls" but that doesn't count. Clearly a "gift" from an American with enough sense not to out himself in that way outside his home territory. 

Edited by Jingthing

Wow. You actually saw an American in Thailand wearing trump merch? That's fascinating. I've never seen that and don't really expect to. I did see a Thai boy wearing a funny Thai t-shirt -- "trump ... finally a president with balls" but that doesn't count. Clearly a "gift" from an American with enough sense not to out himself in that way outside his home territory. 

In four years I've never met a trump supporter in Thailand. Turns out my two most likely suspects think he's batsh*t crazy.

I think most of Trumpsters here in Thailand are closeted, or on Soi Six bar stools.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

I guess most Americans are liberals:

A majority of voters, 58 percent, think these undocumented immigrants, also known as Dreamers, should be allowed to stay and become citizens if they meet certain requirements — a sentiment that goes well beyond the existing DACA program. Another 18 percent think they should be allowed to stay and become legal residents, but not citizens. Only 15 percent think they should be removed or deported from the country.

Support for allowing these immigrants to remain in the U.S. spans across party lines: 84 percent of Democrats, 74 percent of independents and 69 percent of Republicans think they should stay.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/05/poll-trump-deporting-daca-dreamers-242343

those 1993 respondents probably are liberals, but 1156 (58%) registered voters are not most Americans. you'll need the opinions of the other 200+ million registered voters. polls are like tasteless broth - take 'em with heaps of salt.

19 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

those 1993 respondents probably are liberals, but 1156 (58%) registered voters are not most Americans. you'll need the opinions of the other 200+ million registered voters. polls are like tasteless broth - take 'em with heaps of salt.

First off, historically polls are overwhelming quite accurate. And you'll need a lot stronger case to argue against numbers like these. But in addition, lots of Republican office holders are also against Trump on this. Unless they're politically suicidal, that's a pretty strong argument in favor of the unpopularity of Trump's decision.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:13 AM, kamahele said:

Isn't it amazing how wingnuts, normally devout atheists who waste no opportunity to condemn all believers (except the terrorists maybe), are all suddenly transformed when they think there's something in the Bible or Christian doctrine they can rationalize?   AND isn't it amazing how multiculturalism suddenly has to ride shank's mare when it comes to the prospect of actually having to return to one's own?

Most "dreamers" are not children anymore, and can & should take responsibility for themselves. (Gasp!  What??  Responsibility???   No way!!!)   If they've got a gripe, take it up with their abusing, IRresponsible parents who smuggled them across the border in the first place. (Smuggle a kid OUT of the U.S. and watch what happens to you!)  If you sincerely pine so badly for citizenship, leave the country, and get your butt in line for immigration like everybody else!    And if they're kids, return them to their home country where they're still young enough to assimilate (many of whom never really assimilate to the U.S. in the first place, requiring all of US to learn Spanish and give them their public education, not to mention voting materials, in Spanish instead...). 

One president abuses his authority to CAUSE this problem, and the next one has to endure charges of cruelty and inhumanity to DEAL with it.

So now New York (and several other states) are gonna' sue.  What a surprise.  I'm sure they can find an Obama appointee to do their bidding.  But then there's the Supreme Court, finally having been returned to some semblance of Constitutionality by the most recent appointee.   I'm sure the taxpayers in those states are going to be deliriously happy with millions in legal expenses. 

Edited by hawker9000

Next steps ... trump free USA and then trump free planet!

He's such a throwback, like Nazis and KKK marching in the streets are throwbacks, that his sick xenophobic white resentment movement fueled up. Is the social disease he represents a shameful blip or a trend?

On 9/5/2017 at 4:13 PM, kamahele said:

Haven't you heard? The United States is no longer a Christian country. 

Has nothing to do with Christianity. It means either you have a country that abides by the law and its borders or you don't. If you don't, then it means you don't give a crap about your country, the laws, or the people in it. You think your citizenship is everyone's citizenship. You are saying your citizenship is second class or doesn't mean anything. Don't give a crap about the borders either.  These kids came with their parents. It's the parents they should be angry at.  And we should not be enabling them.  Feeling sorry for their problem is one thing but it's time Congress got off their ass and actually do something. Trump just gave them 6 months or else. Isn't it strange no one has even offered any solutions to the problem just bitch about it?  Some of these DACA kids have had plenty of time to file for legal status now,  just why haven't they?

Has nothing to do with Christianity. It means either you have a country that abides by the law and its borders or you don't. If you don't, then it means you don't give a crap about your country, the laws, or the people in it. You think your citizenship is everyone's citizenship. You are saying your citizenship is second class or doesn't mean anything. Don't give a crap about the borders either.  These kids came with their parents. It's the parents they should be angry at.  And we should not be enabling them.  Feeling sorry for their problem is one thing but it's time Congress got off their ass and actually do something. Trump just gave them 6 months or else. Isn't it strange no one has even offered any solutions to the problem just bitch about it?  Some of these DACA kids have had plenty of time to file for legal status now,  just why haven't they?

They have no grounds to apply for legal status. That's the point of DACA. Yes congress should have acted long ago but they have not and it's not a great bet they will with a 6 month deadline especially considering all the other things they should be doing and probably won't.

There are some bad apples among the dreamers of course but they vast majority deserve to be called Americans not dreamers.

Interesting reading on the situation they find themselves in.

USCIS has made it clear that DACA beneficiaries do not possess legal status, but does not state that DACA beneficiaries are unlawfully present; in fact, it states that DACA beneficiaries will not accrue unlawful presence time here while they are in this deferred action status.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_Action_for_Childhood_Arrivals

Except you only read the first paragraph.  I just got my wife her green card and went through the system.  Those qualifying for DACA gave them a delayed deportation of 2 years.  So it served no purpose for them to not apply for a green card.  This is not Citizenship!  The two are totally separate from each other. All they needed to do was to file for a Green Card (Legal residency).  Then after a prescribed time (5 years) you can apply for citizenship. All this takes money and money Congress refused to fund.  Immigration is self funded via fees.  Most failed to do this or lacked the funds to do it.  But it was available to them. Per the article you just quoted:

Form I-131 Application Type D*, with a fee of $575 needs to be submitted to USCIS.[50]

(It should be noted Form I-131 must also be submitted by anyone that applies for a "Green Card" or other residency option regardless of how they arrived upon US soil).

Edited by Mrjlh

3 hours ago, Mrjlh said:

Except you only read the first paragraph.  I just got my wife her green card and went through the system.  Those qualifying for DACA gave them a delayed deportation of 2 years.  So it served no purpose for them to not apply for a green card.  This is not Citizenship!  The two are totally separate from each other. All they needed to do was to file for a Green Card (Legal residency).  Then after a prescribed time (5 years) you can apply for citizenship. All this takes money and money Congress refused to fund.  Immigration is self funded via fees.  Most failed to do this or lacked the funds to do it.  But it was available to them. Per the article you just quoted:

Form I-131 Application Type D*, with a fee of $575 needs to be submitted to USCIS.[50]

(It should be noted Form I-131 must also be submitted by anyone that applies for a "Green Card" or other residency option regardless of how they arrived upon US soil).

They cannot apply for a Green Card because their initial entry was not legal.  

Most previous amnesty programs do not give people citizenship, but they do give legal status, such as the ability to get a green card and thus a path to citizenship.  

The two most common ways to receive a green card include sponsorship by family members or employers - yet many DACA recipients may not have immediate family members who are US citizens or lawful permanent residents. Furthermore, many employers may be reluctant to sponsor immigrant employees due to the cost, time, effort, or logistical challenges.

http://www.businessinsider.com/daca-dreamers-how-to-immigration-trump-news-2017-9

Congratulations to your Misses.

IMG_0317.PNG