Why less asthma here then in Europe?

Destiny1990

We often complain about things here that not suits us and well perhaps its our nature but in my Country Belgium each time i go back in summer i get immediately hay fever red eyes Runny nose sneezing pretty annoying. Besides that breathing air is more difficult probably bronchitis asthma  kicks in. Soon as i reach Thailand hayfever gone and i can much easier breathe. Seems to me better air quality in Thailand then in Industrial Belgium!! I spoke with an asthmatic German guy in Jomtien he says the same thing and thats is even the reason why he lives in Thailand.

My immediate thought is that there is less pollen in the air here. I'm fortunate, I've never suffered this, but my daughter did.

She was, primarily brought up in the middle east and did not have any problems whilst we were there. But every year she and her mother would go back to the UK to escape the summer heat and as soon as they got there, the asthma would kick in and would trouble her until their return.

Pollen is blamed in many such cases. 

Edited by Moonlover

12 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

My immediate thought is that there is less pollen in the air here. I'm fortunate, I've never suffered this, but my daughter did.

She was, primarily brought up in the middle east and did not have any problems whilst we were there. But every year she and her mother would go back to the UK to escape the summer heat and as soon as they got there, the asthma would kick in and would trouble her until their return.

Pollen is blamed in many such cases. 

Yes but i think there might be more reasons but indeed pollen is an important one.

My experience is that I had suffered with asthma for 50 years from the age of 5 until I moved here. I had been on daily ventolin and becotide inhalers. About 2 years after moving here I returned to the UK and had a check-up with my new doctor who asked why I was on all this medication since I don't have asthma. He immediately cancelled my prescription. It wasn't easy to give it up and not have my ventolin close at hand, but eventually I did. I gave it up 9 years ago and have never taken or needed it since.

Of course I do wonder now that if I ever decided to move back to the UK whether the asthma would return.

40 minutes ago, keithcresswell said:

My experience is that I had suffered with asthma for 50 years from the age of 5 until I moved here. I had been on daily ventolin and becotide inhalers. About 2 years after moving here I returned to the UK and had a check-up with my new doctor who asked why I was on all this medication since I don't have asthma. He immediately cancelled my prescription. It wasn't easy to give it up and not have my ventolin close at hand, but eventually I did. I gave it up 9 years ago and have never taken or needed it since.

Of course I do wonder now that if I ever decided to move back to the UK whether the asthma would return.

Yes most likely it will. I just been back from Europe and i got allergic reactions within 15 minutes. Maybe if u go back in the winter time u will have less symptoms.i agree no need for Ventolin in Thailand.

Edited by Destiny1990

I know a university in Germany, were they study allergic reactions from all over the world.

The funny and true thing about it:

All kind of European allergic reactions like hayfever etc. are gone in Thailand, BUT that is the same with people, you move from other areas to Europe: They studied ppl from arab countries with heavy allergic reactions to camel hair (quite common there) and guess what happens, when they move to Europe: Not only their allergy is gone in Europe, they also don't get European hayfever etc.. The scientists say, you grown up in an environment and maybe get allergic reactions there, but that stops immediately, if you move to another area in the world. On the other side, if you live long enough in a new area, you may - or may not - adapt the allergies, that ppl have there.

I have Aspergillosis (fungal spores in my lungs).

In the UK, I suffered badly from bronchitus and pneumonia.  My doctor said that a hot and humid climate would ease my symptoms (the humidity 'lubricates' the lungs).

So I moved to Thailand in 2002.  My symptoms were much improved and I rarely have any problems now with my Aspergillosis illness, (but the symptoms rapidly return when I visit the UK).

So I am 'marooned' in beautiful south-east Asia for health reasons LoL

Depending in which area you are in then can be better or worse. As you claim by yourself.

You do forget the yearly burning of the fields in the north and the big health problems is makes.

Not forget the nice industrial and city air many areas have like bangkok, samut parakan, chon buri or Rayong

All is relative to the area you are in and how sensitive you are.

My daughter suffers with asthma and needs her inhaler most of the time in the UK.  However, in Thailand she doesn't need it at all.  She's recently spent a year here on an ED visa and never once needed her inhaler but on return to the UK she did.  When she asked a doctor in the UK, he said that the pollen in Europe is much more aggressive hence the reason she needs ventolin back home.

I had asthma quite severely  as a kid in England. Moved to Australia with my parents as a young teen.....had it quite severely still and was hospitalized once for it. Fast forward to 2001 when I came here.....symptoms drop to virtually nothing. The only time I seem to get it is with dodgy air conditioners. It has to be the dust/spores or whatever, not sure.

I am happy to live here because of that and many other reasons.....

By the way hay fever was also an issue in Aus and not here. 

Edited by 248900_1469958220

You can also get asthma from the cold climate during the winter,  in Norway it's not uncommon .  Another reason to spend time In Thailand and escape the cold weather in Scandinavia.  

When I checked in to my job here 15 years ago, the Doctor asked me if I had any breathing problems, I said I have been diagnosed with Asthma most of my life - he said come back & see me in three months...........75% of my "Asthma" disappeared, took me off everything and put me on Singulair, once a day, I haven't used an inhaler in years.........turns out most of my 'Asthma' since childhood was allergies to 'you name it, I was allergic to it'  took me out of that environment, cured itself.  Still allergic to Crustaceans, shrimp, crab, lobster, no cure for that.

6 hours ago, Makhao said:

I know a university in Germany, were they study allergic reactions from all over the world.

The funny and true thing about it:

All kind of European allergic reactions like hayfever etc. are gone in Thailand, BUT that is the same with people, you move from other areas to Europe: They studied ppl from arab countries with heavy allergic reactions to camel hair (quite common there) and guess what happens, when they move to Europe: Not only their allergy is gone in Europe, they also don't get European hayfever etc.. The scientists say, you grown up in an environment and maybe get allergic reactions there, but that stops immediately, if you move to another area in the world. On the other side, if you live long enough in a new area, you may - or may not - adapt the allergies, that ppl have there.

I can confirm. I have suffered from acute Hayfever all of my life, been de-sensibilised etc. but nothing helps, yet in Thailand, in spite of the abundance of air pollution, dry grass, dust, flowers and trees always in bloom, a beautiful garden with all sorts of fruit and flowers, I have no symptoms. When I return to Europe the symptoms always return immediately, usually in the taxi from the airport to home!

IMO it's nothing to do with air quality. I was never allergic to anything till middle aged, then I developed hayfever in London, probably to pollen from a tree there, but no problems in Thailand.

Last 5 years I slowly developed hay fever in LOS, and now take medication daily or suffer.

BTW, different allergens affect different areas of the body. In Thailand I get sore eyes and throat.

4 hours ago, HHTel said:

My daughter suffers with asthma and needs her inhaler most of the time in the UK.  However, in Thailand she doesn't need it at all.  She's recently spent a year here on an ED visa and never once needed her inhaler but on return to the UK she did.  When she asked a doctor in the UK, he said that the pollen in Europe is much more aggressive hence the reason she needs ventolin back home.

Moving from the UK to Australia significantly reduced my symptoms, but when tested some years ago my main allergens were some specific grass groups that presumably are less common in my new location. On a number of trips to Thailand at different times of the year, I have had no issues at all.

36 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Interesting topic.  So is it the warmer weather?  The humidity?  Less pollen?  Or actually cleaner air?  I wonder.

People are allergic to specific allergens. If the allergen they react to is absent they won't get hay fever. Nothing to do with the air, except as a means of transmission.

South East Australia is notorious for its high pollen counts in the Spring.  A lot of the grasses and weeds imported from Europe a century or so ago, produce very large amounts of pollen.

Moving to a drier state cured the problem.

No doubt these weeds and grass cannot grow in Thailand, and is safer for those of us with allergies.

It's just a pity about the pollution - i.e. Chiang Mai from burning crops and diesel exhaust.

Hayfever is usually a combination of allergies. I had a full test done years ago at the London Chest Clinic as they wanted my data due to me being a chronic asthma sufferer:

I'm allergic to all sorts of pollen, dust mites, fungus spores and animals, too many for a desensitizing programme, which was what they were doing.

They said that was what aggravated my asthma.

So, logically, the different crops grown here and the micro organisms in the air must be different as I am much less prone to asthma attacks or heyfever symptoms here than I was in the UK.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

Hmm. 

Well I've been asthmatic since my teens and I believe I'm still asthmatic. Control it with a combo or prevention (steroid) and rescue meds.

I've not a had anything close to a major problem since I've lived in Thailand but I can tell the underlying condition is still there. 

The difference I think is I don't have the same kind of allergic oriented TRIGGERS here compared to some places I've lived in the U.S. 

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Hmm. 

Well I've been asthmatic since my teens and I believe I'm still asthmatic. Control it with a combo or prevention (steroid) and rescue meds.

I've not a had anything close to a major problem since I've lived in Thailand but I can tell the underlying condition is still there. 

The difference I think is I don't have the same kind of allergic oriented TRIGGERS here compared to some places I've lived in the U.S. 

Much as I said myself.

Here colds are as rampant as anywhere. The aircon recirculates air and does not refresh it. People don't carry tissues or a nose wipe so sneeze into the air.

Often you go from 32c to about 24c in a matter of minutes just shopping, which I find can literally chill my bones.

In the rainy season like at the moment you can get soaked and then have to sit in wet clothes for hours in cold aircon if you have no change where you are.

That combination can deliver the circumstances to get pneumonia I think.

(I guess you have the steroid and Salbutinol sprays for the asthma?)

:wai:

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

I use Ventolin and then 50 mcg Clenil (steroid prevention med). 

Ventolin 4 puffs then Clenil 2 puffs, 2 times daily. 

The Ventolin opens up the lungs for the Clenil. 

But one problem. Long term use of steroid inhalers causes cataracts.

Edited by Jingthing

55 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I use Ventolin and then 50 mcg Clenil (steroid prevention med). 

Ventolin 4 puffs then Clenil 2 puffs, 2 times daily. 

The Ventolin opens up the lungs for the Clenil. 

But one problem. Long term use of steroid inhalers causes cataracts.

Cataracts are easy to fix these days.

I use Symbicort - inhaled steroids are not as bad as they sound, as they don't get into your bloodstream

Unlike most people here, my asthma gets worse in Thailand, better in Sydney.