Amazing Thailand - Police Checkpoint is everywhere

Mr Kie

Hi guys, i'm a Thai citizen just wanna know what you guys think of Thai police checkpoint. i always asked to stop by the police at almost every checkpoint for urine check when i travelling to the Northeastern regions where my hometown is. at early time i was okay with that but it's too often recently and they never keep the record of each person after done that check. i have never ever done anything related to drugs or any illegal stuffs. and this is really annoying  when you travelling, like you don't have any convenience even you follow all the traffic laws. 

What i see mostly this will happen in E-saan more than anywhere else. if you driving pickup car will be the first target and the black color is the main target too. 

some directions just within few hours driving i see at least 3 to 4 checkpoints. it's like in the country where there is war going on. what amaze me is that they kind of breaking the law, some checkpoint don't have the authorized person to do the job. their main target are all male whether driver or passengers. they mix up the urine in one place and drop the solution at one time. this is actually i think it not allowed by law but they said it is not wasting time and money.

All in all they are making money, mostly from low educated person especially farmers from E-saan, and this make me more angry about it. 

So guys just let me know what you think about it and if you have any experience at the police checkpoint or if you find something not right or any corruption going on please let share it here, i wanna have more info from you guys. and i will do investigation myself too. 

Don't forget whenever you see the police checkpoint, be ready about it, turn your video camera on and start filming all things while you are talking to them, this will protect your from any unexpected things. Thanks guys. 

Seems to be the case, just going to the next major city 90 minutes away you will be stopped 3-4 times. Living here, you soon get used to them and they just become another part of life. One advantage of them is they force people to slow down a little bit (especially the more permanent checkpoints). I guess back home the police are always on patrol looking for people, here they just do checkpoints so really the police bother you a lot less here (if you just drive around your local area). 

Never been stopped for a urine check. 

Would have been stopped easily over 100 times. It is now 3 times from memory I have been asked for money - didn't give money any of the times, but I was technically in the wrong all times (a warning would have sufficed 2 of the times). Many will see the farang and stop me, usually be very polite, just ask to see the license, say 'very good' and send me on my way. Others will wave me through if they are clearly targeting something else that day. 

I am targeted a lot more if I am driving a pick up as opposed to the wife's little car. A lot easier to get out of paying for fines here than back home, police seem to be more forgiving. Everyone will have different experiences of course, and things like age, car, attitude etc probably contribute to those experiences.  

Edited by wildewillie89

I've passed countless of these checkpoints all over thailand (today 3, just going from nong khai to udon). But to me it seems they are mostly just interested in cars.

So far i've been stopped on my motorbike only twice (from probably far more than 100 checkpoints that i drove through). One time in the south it was some "show" thing, they even had a tribune set up there, and a lot of government officials were spectating this checkpoint. Just asked to see my drivers license and where i go, everybody was friendly, they asked if they can take a picture with me (probably not many farang there). Then i could continue.

The other time was somewhere near Korat, a police officer which could even speak english stopped me in a checkpoint, he seemed kinda unfriendly. Asked for my driving license, but even asked questions like what i'm doing in Thailand (tourist/working), and so on. Then took my IDP and showed / explained it to his colleagues, maybe to show off, maybe to teach them, or a bit of both. After 2 Minutes he was done and i could continue.

So from a bikers perspective i can't report any negative experiences about the countryside checkpoints.

For what do they want to fine you when you are just driving in your car?

Edited by jackdd

Isaan is a really big place so if the OP can narrow down exactly where all these roadside fruit stands are, it may help define where there's maybe a serious drug issue, either running or taking? I do recall taking a day trip down a minor road earlier this year, about 15 km from the city and was surprised at the amount of traffic check points they had dragged off to the side of the road and unmanned during the day. I was thinking if they man those at night, driving down this road would be a real pain in the ass. Maybe that's a major 'drug alley' or simply a valley with too many lao khao fueled late-night motorists?

FWIW, I live in Udon Thani, arguably the capital of Isaan and I drive a (white) pickup frequently to Bangkok, Pattaya and back. Beyond the regular 'security' stops, I haven't been singled out for any 'secondary inspection' expect once recently when a silly cop said the shrubs in the back of the truck were 'too high'. Told him he was being too funny.

I understand why the police check points surely you being Thai should know as well because the police understand many Thai men that said not all but of the behavior of drinking the laow kaaw whiskey from 150M bottles while driving for just one example.

Dunno what your on about but in my experience wind window down say hello and your waved though always in the car.

In the truck loaded they wanna have a check and talk with the Mrs and that's OK as far as l'm concerned,  there doing there job.

i travelling from Yasothon to Bangkok passing the checkpoint at Payakkaphum district, Kasetpisai, Putthaisong and Pratai. some time i visit Chaiyaphumi overthere a lot of checkpoints too and direction from Korat to Buriram are a lot too. 

I think probably i'm Thai from E-Saan that's why i'm always asked to stop and get checked. 

I talking to many Thai friends we all say the same if you driving truck the police will stop you and ask for your driving licence, of course some stop is good but mostly i experiences wasn't that good. they will not tell you what you did wrong at first, but instead he will ask for driving licences and then take it with him and then ask to do urine check otherwise will not get the license back. 

Well that sounds alright to all of you.

Some time they set the checkpoint up right next to the traffic light, it's very dangerous and get bad traffic when the light turn green it just not moving. anyways thanks for comments. 

I was on a bus to Mai Sai and also returned to Uttaradit and we must of hit about 10 check-points on the round trip. The thing that surprised me the most was they were not interested in me but wanted to look at all the Thai ID's or other Asian looking people. I would have thought that I would be the first person as being a non-Asian to be checked but they just by passed me.

Folks always say they love Thailand for the freedom...non-nanny state etc

Yet after years in Thailand I got so use to being stopped by cops not for a problem

but so they could look for one in hopes of a backhanded payday of a few hundred baht

Yet now we have moved back to the States for a bit over a year & I have never been stopped...not once by any cops.

Here it seems they actually need a reason to stop you....odd that :wink:

Edited by mania

i thank you for your post. it is good to hear from a thai point of view.  too many times we only here the moaning and complaining from farong on how they are being treated by police.  from your storys and that of farong stories, it does sound like the thai men are being racially profiled for urine tests..  specially in essan that might be the right thing to do.?   but still not fair.  please continue to post your points of view on anything.

Whenever we've seen a check point all they appear to be doing is checking whether our tax disc is up to date and we're waved through without stopping. My wife was stopped for speeding outside Khon Kaen, caught with a radar gun and paid up a receipted 300 baht, but they always set up in the same place so you know to expect them next time. Sure enough, there they were the next time we came that way.

16 hours ago, Mr Kie said:

Some time they set the checkpoint up right next to the traffic light, it's very dangerous and get bad traffic when the light turn green it just not moving. anyways thanks for comments. 

No it doesn't sound fair at all us farangies / falangies get fair treatment by police it seems there stricter with Thai people.

I think your right about Isaan people being treated differently by police forces outside Isaan.

How are the police in Isaan treating Isaan Thai people. ? ?

17 hours ago, Mr Kie said:

i travelling from Yasothon to Bangkok passing the checkpoint at Payakkaphum district, Kasetpisai, Putthaisong and Pratai. some time i visit Chaiyaphumi overthere a lot of checkpoints too and direction from Korat to Buriram are a lot too. 

I think probably i'm Thai from E-Saan that's why i'm always asked to stop and get checked. 

I talking to many Thai friends we all say the same if you driving truck the police will stop you and ask for your driving licence, of course some stop is good but mostly i experiences wasn't that good. they will not tell you what you did wrong at first, but instead he will ask for driving licences and then take it with him and then ask to do urine check otherwise will not get the license back. 

Yes, some checkpoints are in incredibly stupid locations.

I think one aspect of it is Thai seem to be more polite, due to the different structures of the community. The Mrs will generally be polite. but also say shes doing something work related or conveniently have her official ID on display and the conversation will generally be over (as complains made by other officials carry more weight). For Thai who are not officials, they immediately put themselves in a vulnerable position and allow themselves to be pushed around. I would find out the law re urine samples and just have it ready and your camera ready. Police here are rarely questioned, they usually back down when you do question them it seems. 

For me, I will initially be polite, but that politeness will go quiet quickly if they push me on a certain issue. I find fighting them to be beneficial in high traffic areas (in my incredibly small experience of being stopped and questioned), as they get annoyed losing so much money as other cars pass by so they just let you go. So I will ask for things like the photo or to see the speed gun displaying my speed. How can you fine me without any evidence? I don't actually know the law of evidence here, but you will see their eyes changing direction from you to all of the other cars driving past. Very rarely will a farang police officer let a young male off.

Edited by wildewillie89

I'm a naturalize thai citizen and can pass for a Thai, I live right outside of Bangkok most of the times and there are check points daily going back to my house. Majority of the times I am not stop, even though I am driving a pickup truck. In my area, the police stops cars that have dark windows, pickups that have exhaust and racing parts, looks like a delivery person, old cars, teenagers.

Like the OP said, record everything, you never know if you run into a rogue cop that tries to frame you by dropping drugs in your car. Or if a cop tries to frame you but you don't have footage on your phone since they ask you to stand on the side. If the cops confronts you saying they found drugs, ask people nearby to film you and tell the cops loudly that you have cameras in your car and it will prove that the cops dropped the drugs in the car. That would make the cops sht their pants.

Its always good to be prepare.

After visiting Vietnam, I'm quite amazed that Thailand with thousands of police checkpoints claims it is a democracy. Never saw one checkpoint in Vietnam, and that's a Communist country.

Most of the time the checkpoints only want to check the tax disc on the car. The only potentially nasty time I've experienced was when I couldn't find my Thai driver's licence immediately, and the cop got angry and put his hand on his gun. I found it eventually, and he calmed down.

Most of the checks in the Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai area seem to be targeting drugs, particularly yaa baa.

5 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Live just outside of Old City Chiang Mei and ride scooter. 10 times thru check points stopped 7 have license, helmet and registration checked each time. "Good day" let me go. 

There is a big difference between checkpoints in and out of city. Before this thread was mostly about the checkpoints out of cities

23 hours ago, Mr Kie said:

Hi guys, i'm a Thai citizen just wanna know what you guys think of Thai police checkpoint. i always asked to stop by the police at almost every checkpoint for urine check when i travelling to the Northeastern regions where my hometown is. at early time i was okay with that but it's too often recently and they never keep the record of each person after done that check. i have never ever done anything related to drugs or any illegal stuffs. and this is really annoying  when you travelling, like you don't have any convenience even you follow all the traffic laws. 

What i see mostly this will happen in E-saan more than anywhere else. if you driving pickup car will be the first target and the black color is the main target too. 

some directions just within few hours driving i see at least 3 to 4 checkpoints. it's like in the country where there is war going on. what amaze me is that they kind of breaking the law, some checkpoint don't have the authorized person to do the job. their main target are all male whether driver or passengers. they mix up the urine in one place and drop the solution at one time. this is actually i think it not allowed by law but they said it is not wasting time and money.

All in all they are making money, mostly from low educated person especially farmers from E-saan, and this make me more angry about it. 

So guys just let me know what you think about it and if you have any experience at the police checkpoint or if you find something not right or any corruption going on please let share it here, i wanna have more info from you guys. and i will do investigation myself too. 

Don't forget whenever you see the police checkpoint, be ready about it, turn your video camera on and start filming all things while you are talking to them, this will protect your from any unexpected things. Thanks guys. 

I just read where the police must take you to a closed building to do the urine test The police station is one . They cannot ask you to drop urine in the open So be carefull I trust the Thai police as far as I can throw them 

Would I be right in guessing that you drive a black pickup, Mr Kie? Whether or not, you do say that you see more checks on these vehicles and I think there are 2 understandable reasons for this. Firstly, if a cross-section was to be taken, across all BP drivers, you can be sure that a large proportion will be YOUNG and MALE and wealthy enough to use drugs if they so desired, and second, most BP drivers drive as if they're either on drugs or desperately needing to get to their next fix.

They are a menace to other road users, much more so than your typical Thai driver and if the cops give you and/or them a hard time, change your colour to a restful deep blue or green . . . or maroon and deep yellow, perhaps.

After visiting Vietnam, I'm quite amazed that Thailand with thousands of police checkpoints claims it is a democracy. Never saw one checkpoint in Vietnam, and that's a Communist country.

because they are already communist and there is nothing more to be worry about. ?

Edited by Foozool

I used to live in Holland 5 years studying found no police checkpoint even one. i traveled crossed the border to Belgium i couldn't even notice it's a border except the road is better in Holland.

I've been to Sri Lanka 2 weeks for business trip out upcountry i didn't see any checkpoints  

I've been to Pakistan in Lahore 2 times, i visited farms outside the city couldn't see the police checkpoint only the military camp or checkpoint but that's understandable for other reasons 

I lived in Germany for 1 month i couldn't see the police checkpoint either. 

I been to Vietnaam in Ho Chi Min City but i was only in the City so couldn't see policemen too, but here in Bangkok is almost every corner. 

I'm Isaan guys, i'm driving Black Pickup car with Yasothon plate. when i travel to Western part of Thailand, i see some checkpoints but they never ask me for urine test, they seems nicer than policemen in Isaan. so my opinion they are treating people differently.   

Edited by Mr Kie

5 hours ago, Foozool said:

because they are already communist and there is nothing more to be worry about. ?

do you know if there is corruption going on there within the organization ?

English businessman buddy of mine does weekly trips from Bangkok doing deliveries all over Isaan before coming home to Udon. He has just posted on another forum that multiple police check points with piss testing is back with a vengeance. He had it explained by a senior officer at one of the traffic stops that he as a foreigner has the right to refuse the piss test but his Thai-born son who works with him doesn't have that option. If he refuses, he gets arrested.

Edited by NanLaew

1 minute ago, Mr Kie said:

do you know if there is corruption going on there within the organization ?

The Vietnamese police are worse than the Thai ones when it comes to traffic stops. They can even get away with beating up on those that get arsey, or who can't produce the paperwork or they just don't like the look of.

7 hours ago, Ossy said:

Would I be right in guessing that you drive a black pickup, Mr Kie? Whether or not, you do say that you see more checks on these vehicles and I think there are 2 understandable reasons for this. Firstly, if a cross-section was to be taken, across all BP drivers, you can be sure that a large proportion will be YOUNG and MALE and wealthy enough to use drugs if they so desired, and second, most BP drivers drive as if they're either on drugs or desperately needing to get to their next fix.

They are a menace to other road users, much more so than your typical Thai driver and if the cops give you and/or them a hard time, change your colour to a restful deep blue or green . . . or maroon and deep yellow, perhaps.

you're right...i driving black pickup with Yasothon plate. this is so true, a friend of my drives BMW never get stopped by police. so type of car is also a target here. my point here is if they keep the record in the system then next time they don't need to do it again for the urine test. i pass that checkpoint every weekend back to my home, but the police guys didn't remember my face. just wasting my time. imagine it's every weekend. 

Edited by Mr Kie

After you paid for the fine, here is the money goes

for example 400 bath = 50% goes to local government.

= 5%  public income 

= 45% pay the police that working at the checkpoint 

Remember this number is only when they issue the receipt. if no receipt then it all goes to the policemen who working at that checkpoint. this could possibly be one of the reason why there are so many police checkpoints in Thailand. 

m2fat.jpg