Thais ask why hasn't Thailand got these - Fire Escape Chutes

rooster59

fire.PNG

Image: Daily News

Thais online were asking why Thailand is lagging behind the West in new technology to escape from fires in high rise buildings.

Many had seen videos on YouTube showing a system in the development stage called a Fire Escape Chute. It consists of a tight tube of material that people fleeing fires up to ten stories high can hop into to get to ground level.

A director of public safety Thewanuwat Anirutthewa said that there was no law in place in Thailand to allow such a method to escape fires. The law states there must be one internal and one external escape route of stairs, he noted.

While a professor of science at top Bangkok university Chula said that people who thought such a system was widespread in the west were mistaken.

Fire escape chutes are in the early developmental stage and all people had seen was a promotional video.

It was far better at this stage for Thailand to ensure that existing fire regulations were actually adhered to rather than seek another
safety alternative.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-23

4 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

fire.PNG

Image: Daily News

Thais online were asking why Thailand is lagging behind the West in new technology to escape from fires in high rise buildings.

Many had seen videos on YouTube showing a system in the development stage called a Fire Escape Chute. It consists of a tight tube of material that people fleeing fires up to ten stories high can hop into to get to ground level.

A director of public safety Thewanuwat Anirutthewa said that there was no law in place in Thailand to allow such a method to escape fires. The law states there must be one internal and one external escape route of stairs, he noted.

While a professor of science at top Bangkok university Chula said that people who thought such a system was widespread in the west were mistaken.

Fire escape chutes are in the early developmental stage and all people had seen was a promotional video.

It was far better at this stage for Thailand to ensure that existing fire regulations were actually adhered to rather than seek another
safety alternative.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-23

"It was far better at this stage for Thailand to ensure that existing fire regulations were actually adhered to rather than seek another
safety alternative."

A very good point, and always needed as a basic, plus there should be regular inspections and huge fines if the escape stairwells are blocked with shop stock, old furniture, etc.

However always looking at new developments is also a must.

How does this work? The tunnel will stop you from falling down hard? Does this work with skinny and fat people as well? Can't believe that.

If i lived in a high condo i would buy a long rope and a safetyharnas to connect to the rope by a automatic speedlowering connection so i could just throw the rope over the balcony and jump while wearing the harnas.

So Chula can just gossip a bit about the new farang technology instead of developing something better themselves?

This tunnelthing won't last long in the Thai sun and has to be replaced every x years i bet.

17 minutes ago, nev said:

It is very dangerous living in high rise buildings in Thailand not just because of escaping fires.

...but also because of lazy management. For example, In the apartment block where I currently live, smoke detectors with failing batteries sometimes 'chirp' every 30-seconds; sometimes for over a month! Oh and when I report this fact to the assistant building manager, all he does is give me grief when I remind him of his responsibilities under the provisions of the Thai Building Act, 1992.

My apartment has a great balcony (4th floor)...but even if I wanted to escape via that avenue I couldn't as it has an entire floor to ceiling wood and Steel Frame enclosure...great for privacy and crime prevention but a death trap. If there is a fire in the hallway outside my door I am pretty much toast.

7 minutes ago, trogers said:

Why do people prefer chutes to fire staircases?

I would most DEFINITELY take the stairs where I live trogers. After all, if management cannot replace Lithium 9V/PP3 batteries in my building's smoke detectors, I could never trust them to actually install these fire chutes in the proper manner.

5 minutes ago, marginline said:

I would most DEFINITELY take the stairs where I live trogers. After all, if management cannot replace Lithium 9V/PP3 batteries in my building's smoke detectors, I could never trust them to actually install these fire chutes in the proper manner.

And of course changing a battery to save your life is far beyond your abilities?

Just change it and send the guy the bill for it, including 50 us$ an hour for your time.

Top customer reviews

Bykujaron 12 September 2017
Verified Purchase
Bought this as a battery for a CO & Smoke alarm thinking it would last for more than 2 years which normal Duracell batteries last. It lasted for four months.
Edited by Thian

Just now, Thian said:

And of course changing a battery to save your life is far beyond your abilities?

No Thian; not beyond my abilities but more often than not, beyond my financial resources krub. My Thai employer doesn't pay me regularly you see and so many times, all I have is enough money to pay for food and a return motorcycle taxi to get back to work - the following morning.

26 minutes ago, Thian said:

How does this work? The tunnel will stop you from falling down hard? Does this work with skinny and fat people as well? Can't believe that.

If i lived in a high condo i would buy a long rope and a safetyharnas to connect to the rope by a automatic speedlowering connection so i could just throw the rope over the balcony and jump while wearing the harnas.

So Chula can just gossip a bit about the new farang technology instead of developing something better themselves?

This tunnelthing won't last long in the Thai sun and has to be replaced every x years i bet.

59 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Thais online were asking why Thailand is lagging behind the West in new technology to escape from fires in high rise buildings

This is how Thais look at almost ant safety meassures...

A. cost too much money, B. who need it? it will not happen to us,

C. compensations are almost non existent here, or pays very little, 

D. there are many other safety concers that are much more imporatnt than

fire chutes and they being over looked or ignored, so why bother about this one ?...

Edited by ezzra

5 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Haha the first guy gets stuck all the time, imagine this happening when the building is on fire. Or many Thai ladies going down in it while holding their louis vuiton purses.

I would still prefer to have my own rope in a box on the balcony and an abseil-system to go down slow. Or just a parachute and jump over the railing.

These are nothing new, they have been around for a long time, and they are not as good as some people make out. I could give you many reasons for not using them, built in fire escapes are far better providing they have been designed correctly.

9 hours ago, nev said:

It is very dangerous living in high rise buildings in Thailand not just because of escaping fires.

I suppose you forgot the fire in a London, UK, building?

Living and working in high rise buildings always bring extra risks, anywhere in the world, notwithstanding safety rules and means of escape.

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

even if you could find people in the amorphous 'government'; that :

a) wanted to listen to you

B) were vaguely interested

C) had any real decision-making capacity that was not a sham

why would they act ? safety ??

you must be joking

thai government does not serve the people unless their actions first serve their own ends

Edited by YetAnother

9 hours ago, Thian said:

Just change it and send the guy the bill for it, including 50 us$ an hour for your time.

Top customer reviews

Bykujaron 12 September 2017
Verified Purchase
Bought this as a battery for a CO & Smoke alarm thinking it would last for more than 2 years which normal Duracell batteries last. It lasted for four months.

Not to mention the danger of bad quality lithium batteries that can explode or self ignite!

36 minutes ago, Krungbin said:

Not to mention the danger of bad quality lithium batteries that can explode or self ignite!

That won't happen in a smoke alarm thing.

That can happen if the battery is hot from discharging fast followed by charging fast while it was still warm. Or by shortcut but also other batteries will have serious issues in that case.

2 hours ago, Muggi1968 said:

SkySaver 260' Personal Rescue Device 

Thank you Muggi1968 for sharing details of this device. The cheapest price I've seen for this so far by the way - is US$899
260' 1-25 floors/stories 
The leading rescue products in the world SkySaver combines top professionals in the rescue and emergency readiness fields and cooperates with safety organizations from around the world to create and market the most advanced, safe and innovative evacuation devices - to save lives. The company's flagship product - SkySaver - was developed by a team of world-renowned experts. 
A First: Fast and Safe Self Evacuation from Multi-Story Buildings SkySaver was developed in order to evacuate people trapped in multi-story buildings during fires, terror attacks or natural disasters. Years of research developing the most advanced technologies were invested in order to create a quality safety product for you. With SkySaver, if you work or live in a multi-story building - you will be safe and ready for an emergency more than ever. 
How Does it Work? 
SkySaver is a compact kit in the shape of a backpack that can be comfortably carried and easily stored. The bag includes an integrated harness, a cable that is tolerant to high temperatures, and a unique automatic braking mechanism that allows a steady rate of descent. In the event of an emergency, SkySaver enables you to escape from the building in three simple steps: 

• 1. Put the backpack on and adjust the straps.
  • 2. Clip the carabiner to the pre-installed anchor point.
  • 3. Descend through any opening and the unique braking mechanism automatically lowers you to safety.

SkySaver is always available, without the need for help, training or an outside power source. Within seconds you will be out of danger. 
Specifications: 

• Uses and Features: High Rise Self Rescue
  • Number of Users: 1
  • Product Weight: 26 lbs.
  • Descent Load: 66 lbs. - 300 lbs.
  • Descent Speed: 6.5 feet/sec (max)
  • Max Descent Height: 260 feet
  • Braking System: Friction
  • Cable Material: Galvanized Steel
  • Size: One Size Fits Most
  • Constant Speed
  • Anchor Bolt included
  • Strong & Versatile Cable
  • Limited Warranty 7 year
  • Standards: ASTM E2484-08, ASTM F1772-12, 12.1.2, ANSI Z359.4

11 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

knowing the locals they would get the chutes mixed up and fit the one for the 4th floor on the fourteenth floor and you have a 10 floor drop.....

The locals would use the chutes as bins and toss garbage into them. I'd bet any amount of money on it.

47 minutes ago, marginline said:

Thank you Muggi1968 for sharing details of this device. The cheapest price I've seen for this so far by the way - is US$899
260' 1-25 floors/stories 
The leading rescue products in the world SkySaver combines top professionals in the rescue and emergency readiness fields and cooperates with safety organizations from around the world to create and market the most advanced, safe and innovative evacuation devices - to save lives. The company's flagship product - SkySaver - was developed by a team of world-renowned experts. 
A First: Fast and Safe Self Evacuation from Multi-Story Buildings SkySaver was developed in order to evacuate people trapped in multi-story buildings during fires, terror attacks or natural disasters. Years of research developing the most advanced technologies were invested in order to create a quality safety product for you. With SkySaver, if you work or live in a multi-story building - you will be safe and ready for an emergency more than ever. 
How Does it Work? 
SkySaver is a compact kit in the shape of a backpack that can be comfortably carried and easily stored. The bag includes an integrated harness, a cable that is tolerant to high temperatures, and a unique automatic braking mechanism that allows a steady rate of descent. In the event of an emergency, SkySaver enables you to escape from the building in three simple steps: 

• 1. Put the backpack on and adjust the straps.
  • 2. Clip the carabiner to the pre-installed anchor point.
  • 3. Descend through any opening and the unique braking mechanism automatically lowers you to safety.

SkySaver is always available, without the need for help, training or an outside power source. Within seconds you will be out of danger. 
Specifications: 

• Uses and Features: High Rise Self Rescue
  • Number of Users: 1
  • Product Weight: 26 lbs.
  • Descent Load: 66 lbs. - 300 lbs.
  • Descent Speed: 6.5 feet/sec (max)
  • Max Descent Height: 260 feet
  • Braking System: Friction
  • Cable Material: Galvanized Steel
  • Size: One Size Fits Most
  • Constant Speed
  • Anchor Bolt included
  • Strong & Versatile Cable
  • Limited Warranty 7 year
  • Standards: ASTM E2484-08, ASTM F1772-12, 12.1.2, ANSI Z359.4

Interesting, but doesn't say if they are single use item or you can roll the cable up again and train with it.

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Interesting, but doesn't say if they are single use item or you can roll the cable up again and train with it.

There should be no need for training per se because the device is programmed to lower the person wearing the device gently.

It probably is "single-use" therefore ExpatOilWorker because of the limited 7-year warranty too.

After all, the odds of being involved in a high-rise, life-threatening fire twice in such a short period of time - must be astronomical; don't you think?