Does the KRACK wifi vulnerability affect me as a 3bb user?

davidst01

It's an issue worldwide and potentially affects all WiFi users.

It depends on your router type/manufacturer and/or client software (Android? Windows? Linux? iOS?).

Nothing that your provider (3BB or which ever) can do anything about.

But for me the alarm is highly exaggerated.

Depending on your situation it might be a no event.

I suggest you go through the existing KRACK thread:

Apple stated:  

“Apple is deeply committed to protecting our customers’ data. The fix for the KRACK WiFi vulnerability is currently in the betas of iOS, macOS, watchOS and tvOS and will soon be rolled out to customers.”

As for Google:  Google said that the November 6 patch would fix the issue. Google’s own devices will receive the update instantly, but it’s going to take some time before device manufacturers and carriers approve the update. In fact, it could take weeks or months. Android fragmentation isn’t ideal in those cases.

21 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

It's an issue worldwide and potentially affects all WiFi users.

It depends on your router type/manufacturer and/or client software (Android? Windows? Linux? iOS?).

Nothing that your provider (3BB or which ever) can do anything about.

But for me the alarm is highly exaggerated.

Depending on your situation it might be a no event.

I suggest you go through the existing KRACK thread:

I covered this in a previous post. It's nonsense. WPA2-PSK wifi has not been cracked. They can't steal anything. Use a strong , 32 character, passphrase not in a dictionary, and you're safe.  

3 hours ago, jgarbo said:

I covered this in a previous post. It's nonsense. WPA2-PSK wifi has not been cracked. They can't steal anything. Use a strong , 32 character, passphrase not in a dictionary, and you're safe.  

And I replied to you that maybe you should read what the hack actually is as it is bugger all to do with your password........

4 minutes ago, topt said:

And I replied to you that maybe you should read what the hack actually is as it is bugger all to do with your password........

This is getting tiresome. The so-called Krack is an attack on WPS, which used to be buggy, and which only a bloody fool would activate. As for the rest of my post it was general info. I work on this stuff and see staggeringly stupid actions. Apologies.  

Edited by jgarbo

I have an Asus 86U router....I just updated it with hot off the press firmware update from Asus to fix the KRACH vulnerability on the 86U...I have just installed the firmware.   See a summary of the fixes for my Asus 86U, specifically where I circled the fix for the KRACH vulnerability. 

However, I have another Asus router (a 55UHP) I'm using in Access Point mode but it hasn't rec'd a firmware update yet to fix the KRACH vulnerability, but I expect it won't be long before it gets a firmware fix also..  Since my 86U is a high end Asus router and the 55UHP a mid range Asus router I expect Asus may be updating it's more pricey/high end router's first.   And since my 55UHP is hooked to my 86U as an Access Point only it is now protected from KRACH because my 86U is controlling my network/feeding the 55UHP.   

Also don't have to worry about my my ISP-provided fiber optics router feeding my Asus 86U because my ISP router is set to bridge mode turning over full router control to my 86U....all the ISP provider router is doing is converting the fiber optics signal to a PPPoE/ethernet signal to feed another router (my Asus 86U in my case) which will have control of your home network. 

If my ISP-provided router was still in router mode it would still be the controlling front door into my home network for a KRACH attack.  And since ISP-provided routers rarely receive a firmware update and/or are set to prevent user attempted firmware update then a person's home network can remain vulnerable to the KRACH. 

Summary of firmware fixes for my Asus 86U

59ef3fce26ac7_Capturefirmwareupdate.JPG.742fb4d4901748dbed0f05e42e906e6c.JPG