Bike accident - Are Farangs really victimised?

AllanB

1 hour ago, hdkane said:

I disagree strongly with the folks who believe that farangs are not victimized here...the society and all its institutions are corrupt to the core...the ONLY thing you can do to protect yourself is to have good insurance...and let that company deal with the corruption...if not, you WILL be the victim...to think otherwise is to disregard thousands of examples that show otherwise...if you think that you will be treated the same as thais, while having the same variables as thais (e.g.., a motorbike or car or whatever circumstances), is to disregard the obvious history of this country...you are stupid if you think you will be treated the same as thais, if all is equal except for nationality...seriously, how can some people on this forum be so stupid?

Never be surprised on here about.what those "Rosey specs" can do.

My second crash I was doing a u turn and I thought the oncoming  car was going slower than he was, he hit me just behind my was throwing me off but luckily the road was wet so I just had minor abrasions. The pick up was a company car (bank) it lost all the front bumper and mouldings and not sure what other damage. Police/ insurance decided 50/50 he didn't see me/ slow down enough and I turned in front of him. However the other Driver paid for my ambulance/clinic  and gave  me 1000 baht to help get my bike repaired. And no police charges. So this confirms what others have said. It is the person who most likely is in a better position to pay that does.

On 10/19/2017 at 4:49 PM, colinneil said:

So you are saying that i am making up stories about me being made paraplegic by a crazy Thai driver.

Did not receive 1 baht compensation because of police lies.

Farangs are treated fairly, my a++e.

Didn't sound like he was saying that at all, you just have different experiences to share.

On the subject of lying police costing you, I once had a similar experience on my motorcycle (but without your unfortunate outcome). I had started going straight over at a set of lights on green when a car slammed into me from my right. It hit the crankcase about an inch in front of my leg so I was very fortunate that I was sent flying through the air, with only a sore ankle to show for it. My bike was not so fortunate. I called the police. The cop, the old couple and I were all stood together by the side of the road. The woman proclaimed "You can't see what colour the lights are when the sun is in your eyes". I had been rightly insisting that they had gone through on red. I turned to the cop and said "there you are, she's just admitted it" He replied "I didn't hear anything". This was in Cambridge, England. Not all lying scumbag cops are in Thailand. This was also at a busy junction with lots of other vehicles around. Not one of them stopped.

Edited by Blue Muton
Typo

2 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

Not always. I got sideswiped by a drunken Thai girl on a  m/c whilst driving mine. Some Thais happened to see it. They came to look after me and not her she said she was drunk. A policeman came took one look at my m/c and said not you. She had fled the scene. I went to the local hospital. I was taken care of by some paramedics by the roadside taken by ambulance to the public hospital Xrayed, saw a doctor and got my out patient medicine. Total time at hospital 45 minutes. A week later went to Poli e Station and Police asked the girl what you pay to farang!  She only earned 9,000 a month so I asked for 5,000 and my bike repaired. Little did I know I would be in bed for 5 weeks. I got a serious groin injury. But you can't get blood out of a stone. 

She kicked you in the bo***cks?

3 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I dunno about being treated more fairly, but I noticed Thai drivers slow down more when I cross the street. Maybe because I'm a tall guy although my ex told me it's probably more headache for them if they hit a foreigner.

Might be the Star Trek uniform?

1 hour ago, Blue Muton said:

Didn't sound like he was saying that at all, you just have different experiences to share.

On the subject of lying police costing you, I once had a similar experience on my motorcycle (but without your unfortunate outcome). I had started going straight over at a set of lights on green when a car slammed into me from my right. It hit the crankcase about an inch in front of my leg so I was very fortunate that I was sent flying through the air, with only a sore ankle to show for it. My bike was not so fortunate. I called the police. The cop, the old couple and I were all stood together by the side of the road. The woman proclaimed "You can't see what colour the lights are when the sun is in your eyes". I had been rightly insisting that they had gone through on red. I turned to the cop and said "there you are, she's just admitted it" He replied "I didn't hear anything". This was in Cambridge, England. Not all lying scumbag cops are in Thailand. This was also at a busy junction with lots of other vehicles around. Not one of them stopped.

This the situation I fear the most and it effects my riding accordingly. I have seen many such accidents and watched them on video many times, because they are the most numerous on Youtube.

Actually, UK law does have something surprising to say about this....

My very first accident aged 18 was where, late at night, I set off on a green light, another larger car jumped red and I clipped his back wheel as he sped across, flipping him over. Having 3 witnesses and thinking I was 100% in the right I was surprised by the magistrate's decision.

The decision was that I was 33% liable for the accident, as I should have checked that the way was clear before proceeding through green. It is/was in the highway code, anyway that was more that half a century ago and I remember it.... 

Yes I am for real.
As weird as it sounds it does happen this way sometimes. 'Farangs' that live here are often treated differently than than the 2 week tourist. I have experienced it myself unrelated to this topic.
Perhaps not all barstool/ Thaivisa stories are real.
I can see that happening as well .can you think a copper will be different cos you live there than a two week tourist man.

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

On 10/19/2017 at 5:49 AM, colinneil said:

So you are saying that i am making up stories about me being made paraplegic by a crazy Thai driver.

Did not receive 1 baht compensation because of police lies.

Farangs are treated fairly, my a++e.

I dont think he said that.  You have been here long enough to know that just like everything else it's luck of the draw with who you are dealing with. I have had friends that like yourself have had real issues with police and then like myself I have had some friend that never had an issue.  Sure I have had the typical 100-200B just because, but nothing major. I have had two accidents in the last 20 year in Thailand, one time it was my fault I hit a big SUV with my civic police came insurance showed up everything taken care of never even asked for my driver license. Second time a motorcycle hit me, police took my side. 

As for a farang being treated better, well 20+ years ago yes, nowadays it all depends where you go.  It still appears I'm shown respect when I meet with any industrial company, but if in Pattaya, BKK etc not so much!!!

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Has a farang ever caused an accident?

No. Did you not get the memo that Farang are superior?

One accident here, insurance guy came and sorted everything. I didn't speak, not my business. I didn't pay the excess, so wasn't judged to be at fault, not sure why.

On 10/19/2017 at 2:21 PM, AllanB said:

She hit a clearly visible truck and this "Thai" family still had to pay dearly.

What we don't know about that accident is:

if the truck was stopped right in the middle of the road or it was already pulled off the road. 

It does make very much difference. People never mention key details. 

Edited by Foozool

Yeah, my neighbour hit a kid on a motorbike riding the wrong way down a dual carriageway.  They admitted kid at fault but kids aren't guilty. Neighbour had to pay all hospital bills before police would give her a report, without that her insurance wouldn't cover the damage.

Falangs get to pay because they can, sometimes with small accidents, a thousand or two for the Thai driver and the same for the policeman will let you be released.

7 hours ago, Foozool said:

What we don't know about that accident is:

if the truck was stopped right in the middle of the road or it was already pulled off the road. 

It does make very much difference. People never mention key details. 

I clearly stated in my OP that he was parked at the side of the road, so that is settled. That is not to say I know everything about the case, the exact climatic conditions, colour of the truck, but it was on s straight road and was stationary.

In the UK that would be 100% biker's error, as the use of warning triangle (of whatever design) is merely advisable.

In terms of wealth, both parties were roughly on par, but there is no excuse for throwing someone in jail. not sure this would happen to a Farang....maybe if he was rude/aggressive, which could have been the case here, I don't know.

On a more practical note- I have first class insurance and a top of range front and rear view dashcam. Should one make it be known to all and sundry at the time of the accident that everything has been recorded (I have heard of police taking the camera and thus the evidence) or keeping my powder dry until insurers arrive revealing all to them initially. I could also remove the SD card if the police spotted and demanded the camera although it is fairly well hidden behind the rear view mirror.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2017 at 2:46 PM, malcoml said:

I find farangs do pay but not for the expected reason.

I was involved in a minor accident and produced my insurance and license. The police said we were both to blame 50/50.

The police left me at the mercy of a Thai crowd. An argument broke out  and the fact I could have stood my ground. I felt sorry for the lady and my bike was in no shape to ride of so I just handed of about $200 and they all got in and fixed my bike and she went to the doctors.

Yes I was annoyed at paying but then I didnt want to ruin my day and well in farang land I would have had tp pay a 600 insurance excess.

I have done the same....ride another day...rather that deal with get what I can mentality of the  mob..

The law here can be a bit strange here, if not downright unfair.

A friend of mine's 20 year old daughter was raped after accepting a lift from a work mate, aged about 50, married with 3 kids. They spent 3 hours at the police station and eventually held an interview with the rapist, his family and her family. He admitted his guilt and the cops ordered him to pay the girl 50,000 baht. That was it, no prison, or any form of punishment and in the end she got nothing.

I guess thing are different here. 

I have have been involved in 4 accidents over the last 5 years.  1 bike and 3 car.  While the driver of the other vehicle has blamed me, the insurance company, and recently the police have sided with me.  I always let the person rant on how dangerous I drove, despite the accident scene clearly showing what happened.  

Bought a new car 2 months ago.  Silly lass pulled straight out across two lanes and ran into the side of me.  She had no insurance and claimed I was doing 90kph.  If you know immigration exit that has the slopped entrance, there is a carpark opposite where you make a u-turn to get back to main road.  From that u-turn to the slopes she claimed I was doing 90kph, in a mini van!  Even the copper laughed at her.

Never had an issue with police or insurance.  But every driver had lied like a 5 year old dipping their hands in the cookie jar!

Edited by BBJ

I have have been involved in 4 accidents over the last 5 years.  1 bike and 3 car.  While the driver of the other vehicle has blamed me, the insurance company, and recently the police have sided with me.  I always let the person rant on how dangerous I drove, despite the accident scene clearly showing what happened.  

Bought a new car 2 months ago.  Silly lass pulled straight out across two lanes and ran into the side of me.  She had no insurance and claimed I was doing 90kph.  If you know immigration exit that has the slopped entrance, there is a carpark opposite where you make a u-turn to get back to main road.  From that u-turn to the slopes she claimed I was doing 90kph, in a mini van!  Even the copper laughed at her.

Never had an issue with police or insurance.  But every driver had lied like a 5 year old dipping their hands in the cookie jar!
When you have an accident what's the procedure at the scene? Swap insurance details? Or do police need to come?

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

When you have an accident what's the procedure at the scene? Swap insurance details? Or do police need to come?

I've only needed the police once and that was 2 months ago at the immigration.  The woman would not admit fault despite the accident being so obvious.  She had no insurance to back her up so my insurance involved the police.  Still, despite the police drawing a grade 1 example of why she was at fault, she refused to sign the document and admit responsibility.  It was left for my insurance and the police to deal with the matter.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
5 hours ago, BBJ said:

In a Car - Ensure you have 1st Class insurance. Call them immediately (they are usually with you within 30 mins). 

Your insurance 'agent' deals with this stuff daily, they will know exactly what to do, but that doesn't mean you have to agree with their decision if you feel you are being treated unfairly. 

There is no need to communicate with the other party at all. 

Do not move your car until the Police arrive. If there are people around someone will call them, or you can ask a local to call the Police for you. 

Do not accept fault if you believe you are not at fault, even if the Policeman suggests you are to blame (he's probably just being lazy even if he makes up some obscure rule).

Take lots of photos of the scene - they will be useful (and have for me in the past).

Had an accident, called my insurance.

I was at least partially at fault (head on collision, single track blind bend, I was too fast).

My insurance dealt with the other party. He had no vehicle tax, no compulsory insurance, no driving licence. He left the scene as it would have cost him more in police fines if they came than it would cost to fix the car. My insurance fixed my car.

How that would have paid out if I wasn't insured I don't know. 7500B/year for class 2+1. Worth the peace of mind.