Type "O" Retirement Visa Question Please

I read that you can enter Thailand on a 30 day visa on arrival and convert it to a Type-O visa at the immigration department after entering Thailand for purposes of getting a 1 year extension on the basis of retirement.

From what I read though, only the following countries can apply for the 30 day visa on arrival: Andorra, Bhutan, Bulgaria, China, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, India, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius,  Papua New Guinea, Romania, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan.

Otherwise, if you are from Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Brunei, Belgium, Canada, Czech, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Oman, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Slovak, Slovenia, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, UAE, United Kingdom or USA you get what is known as a 30 day visa exempt stamp.

My question is the 30 day visa exempt stamp the same as the 30 day tourist visa on arrival? And can you enter Thailand on a 30 day visa exempt stamp (if you are from one of the above countries) and still convert that to a Type O visa at immigration in Thailand?

Thank you ubonjoe. I didn't realize the visa on arrival is only 15 days. I had thought it was also a 30 day visa, like the 30 day visa exempt entry. But after rereading a couple of sites more closely (below) I see that it is in fact only a 15 day visa:

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/907-suvarnabhumi-visa-on-arrival

https://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/visa-on-arrival

Anyway, you have answered my more important question that a 30 day visa exempt entry can be changed to 90 day non-immigrant category O visa. Thank you.

I also read though that if you enter on a 30 day visa exempt entry that you will need to show a return airplane ticket or an onward air ticket to another country to obtain a 30 day visa exempt entry? I guess if you explain to the immigration officer that your plan is to apply for a 90 day non-immigrant category O visa within 15 days of entering the country that they will waive the requirement for a return airplane ticket or an onward air ticket to another country?

Thank you ubonjoe. I didn't realize the visa on arrival is only 15 days. I had thought it was also a 30 day visa, like the 30 day visa exempt entry. But after rereading a couple of sites more closely (below) I see that it is in fact only a 15 day visa:

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/907-suvarnabhumi-visa-on-arrival

https://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/visa-on-arrival

Anyway, you have answered my more important question that a 30 day visa exempt entry can be changed to 90 day non-immigrant category O visa. Thank you.

Yes that was how I got my initial retirement visa , 30 day visa exempt on arroval , then a 90 day visa followed by a retirement one.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, JimMorris said:

I also read though that if you enter on a 30 day visa exempt entry that you will need to show a return airplane ticket or an onward air ticket to another country to obtain a 30 day visa exempt entry? I guess if you explain to the immigration officer that your plan is to apply for a 90 day non-immigrant category O visa within 15 days of entering the country that they will waive the requirement for a return airplane ticket or an onward air ticket to another country?

It is the airlines that will want to see a ticket out of the country within 30 days. Immigration seldom asks to see one.

yes, i did this several months ago in bangkok. 

usa passport, entered on visa waiver allowing

30 day stay.  applied for O visa, reason retirement. 

(different form if applying to change type of visa) 

was able to do this during the 30 days without

getting a 30-day extension as already had a bank

account for money transfer set up.

last month got first annual extension of permit

to stay.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is the airlines that will want to see a ticket out of the country within 30 days. Immigration seldom asks to see one.

I see. You mean for example, if one were to fly to Bangkok from Malaysia, without a Thai tourist visa in their passport, or holding a return ticket, that the airline check-in counter in Malaysia might insist that you have an air ticket to depart out of Thailand after 30 days before letting you onto the plane?

In that case I think one can explain to the airline that you either plan to convert to a retirement visa upon arrival in Thailand or that you plan to take a bus to Cambodia from Thailand after 30 days. I don't see this being an issue.

I thought that it was the Thai immigration authorities at the airport in Bangkok that would be asking for a ticket out of the country. On one law firm in Thailand's website I read it says this in regards to retirement visas:

*Note that a ‘free-on-arrival’ 30-day tourist visa is unsuitable as you will not be allowed to enter Thailand unless you are holding either a return ticket or an onward ticket to another country.

Edited by JimMorris

7 minutes ago, JimMorris said:

I thought that it was the Thai immigration authorities at the airport in Bangkok that would be asking for a ticket out of the country. On one law firm in Thailand's website I read it says this in regards to retirement visas:

*Note that a ‘free-on-arrival’ 30-day tourist visa is unsuitable as you will not be allowed to enter Thailand unless you are holding either a return ticket or an onward ticket to another country.

I can say from my own personal experience that immigration has never asked for one. Same for many other people.

You can use a oneway ticket to a nearby country to take of the airlines 30 day requirement. You can find them on low cost carriers for as little as 1000 baht by purchasing it an advance.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

yes, i did this several months ago in bangkok. 

usa passport, entered on visa waiver allowing

30 day stay.  applied for O visa, reason retirement. 

(different form if applying to change type of visa) 

was able to do this during the 30 days without

getting a 30-day extension as already had a bank

account for money transfer set up.

last month got first annual extension of permit

to stay.

Thank you for this info. By the way, is there a form for the 30 day visa waiver that you had to fill out at the airport and bring to the immigration counter upon arrival? Or do you just go right to the counter with your passport and no form needed for the 30 day? I think you are also supposed to show that you are carrying at least 10,000 Baht in cash.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JimMorris said:

Thank you for this info. By the way, is there a form for the 30 day visa waiver that you had to fill out at the airport and bring to the immigration counter upon arrival? Or do you just go right to the counter with your passport and no form needed for the 30 day? I think you are also supposed to show that you are carrying at least 10,000 Baht in cash.

All you need is your passport and completed TM6 arrival/departure card they will give to you on the plane before you arrive.

The 10,000 is correct requirement is correct but seldom asked for unless you have a long history of entries.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

All you need is your passport and completed TM6 arrival/departure card they will give to you on the plane before you arrive.

The 10,000 is correct requirement is correct but seldom asked for unless you have a long history of entries.

Thanks. So just proceed to the immigration counter with the TM6 form and that is it. Good.

8 hours ago, JimMorris said:

I see. You mean for example, if one were to fly to Bangkok from Malaysia, without a Thai tourist visa in their passport, or holding a return ticket, that the airline check-in counter in Malaysia might insist that you have an air ticket to depart out of Thailand after 30 days before letting you onto the plane?

In that case I think one can explain to the airline that you either plan to convert to a retirement visa upon arrival in Thailand or that you plan to take a bus to Cambodia from Thailand after 30 days. I don't see this being an issue.

Sometimes airlines don't check.  Sometimes they will let you sign a "waiver" form where you take responsibility.  Other times they won't let you board at all without it.  But if you get there early, you will have time to buy a cheap onward-ticket to somewhere within 30-days on your phone, then use that for check-in purposes.

10 hours ago, Paul9989 said:

On the 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank financial requirement for a one year retirement visa, I wonder if they would accept the equivalent in a foreign currency in a Thai bank in a foreign currency account?

That seems to vary depending on the immigration office. Commonly, it is allowed, as long as the funds are available for withdrawal on demand without financial penalty.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chuang said:

BTW the 800K in thai bank must the fund be transferred from overseas ....thanks

There is no requirement for the funds to of come from abroad to apply for an extension of stay application.

To apply for a non immigrant visa at immigration proof it came from abroad is required since their is no requirement for it to be in the bank any longer than on the date you apply. They will accept proof the funds were earned here by working legally also.

14 minutes ago, Jack james said:

I stopped in japan for a visit, then continued on. One way ticket. They were not going to let me on . They had me sign a release document saying they weren't responsible. I waiting on my non o.

Just to clarify, I assume you are saying the airline made you sign an indemnity document that you would reimburse them for any costs they incurred should you be denied entry. That happened to me a few times in the past when I was coming to Thailand for a visa exempt entry. Out of interest, which airline was this?

On 10/23/2017 at 11:27 PM, JackThompson said:

Sometimes airlines don't check.  Sometimes they will let you sign a "waiver" form where you take responsibility.  Other times they won't let you board at all without it.  But if you get there early, you will have time to buy a cheap onward-ticket to somewhere within 30-days on your phone, then use that for check-in purposes.

That sounds like a good way to go. Thank you. I doubt they would force the issue of the ticket and not let you on the plane without one, but buying one on the spot is a good backup plan. These days though with boarding passes being all electronic, you often don't even have to check-in at the counter and even see anyone at check-in if you don't have checked baggage.

• Like 1

I assume for the 800,000 Baht verification of funds they want a letter signed by the bank dated no older than 7 days prior to when you go to the immigration department to request.

If you arrive on a 30 day visa exempt stamp, and then go to immigration within 15 days to convert the visa to a type O and get the first 90 day extension, do you need to bring the letter from the bank with you at that time?

Also, are they going to ask to see a new letter, again no older than 7 days, when you go back to immigration after 60 days to extend the visa to a 1 year visa on the basis of retirement?

So in total will you need to get 2 letters from your bank, one when you convert the visa and extend it for the first 90 days and then again when you extend it to a 1 year visa?

2 minutes ago, JimMorris said:

I assume for the 800,000 Baht verification of funds they want a letter signed by the bank dated no older than 7 days prior to when you go to the immigration department to request.

If you arrive on a 30 day visa exempt stamp, and then go to immigration within 15 days to convert the visa to a type O and get the first 90 day extension, do you need to bring the letter from the bank with you at that time?

Also, are they going to ask to see a new letter, again no older than 7 days, when you go back to immigration after 60 days to extend the visa to a 1 year visa on the basis of retirement?

So in total will you need to get 2 letters from your bank, one when you convert the visa and extend it for the first 90 days and then again when you extend it to a 1 year visa?

The 7 days varies by office. Some want the bank letter done on the same day you apply and others no older than the day before. About all offices want your bank book to be updated on the day you apply.

To apply for the visa you also need a letter from the bank stating the funds came from abroad.

You get a new 90 day entry not an extension that will start on the date you apply for the visa. As soon as the visa is stamped in your passport they cancel your current 30 day entry and do a new entry stamp.

You will need a new letter from the bank and your bank book updated when you apply for the one year extension.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The 7 days varies by office. Some want the bank letter done on the same day you apply and others no older than the day before. About all offices want your bank book to be updated on the day you apply.

To apply for the visa you also need a letter from the bank stating the funds came from abroad.

You get a new 90 day entry not an extension that will start on the date you apply for the visa. As soon as the visa is stamped in your passport they cancel your current 30 day entry and do a new entry stamp.

You will need a new letter from the bank and your bank book updated when you apply for the one year extension.

Ok, thanks. So in total you need 2 letters as I suspected, one when you convert your 30 day visa to a 90 day type O visa and another one when you get the one year extension on the type O visa.

I assume though the letter from the bank stating the funds came from abroad is only required when you get the 90 day visa?

Also, on the "one year extension", I assume they are only really giving you a 9 month extension at that point? Or do they extend the 90 day visa for an additional full year so that you really end up with close to 15 months?

Lastly, when you renew each year, I assume you just need one letter each year showing a balance of 800,000 Baht and you don't need a letter stating that the funds came from abroad each year after the first one?

I assume though the letter from the bank stating the funds came from abroad is only required when you get the 90 day visa?

Correct only for the visa application.

Also, on the "one year extension", I assume they are only really giving you a 9 month extension at that point? Or do they extend the 90 day visa for an additional full year so that you really end up with close to 15 months?

You will get a one year extension of the 90 day permit to stay from the visa application. It starts at the end of the 90 days.

5 minutes ago, JimMorris said:

Lastly, when you renew each year, I assume you just need one letter each year showing a balance of 800,000 Baht and you don't need a letter stating that the funds came from abroad each year after the first one?

No need for proof the funds came from abroad.

After the first extension the 800k baht will need to be in the bank for 3 months.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will get a one year extension of the 90 day permit to stay from the visa application. It starts at the end of the 90 days.

After the first extension the 800k baht will need to be in the bank for 3 months.

Perfect. Many thanks. Clear on all.

On 10/25/2017 at 12:45 PM, ubonjoe said:

I am wondering if it would be a problem if someone has already already converted a 30 day upon arrival exempt visa to a Type O visa, is into the 90 day visa period, and must travel overseas for 60-90 day before being able to convert the visa to a full one year retirement visa. In a case like this would the Type O visa just be cancelled when the person leaves the country without any problems? And when the person returns to Thailand, I assume they would just have to re-enter on a new 30 day upon arrival exempt visa and start the process all over again of converting to a 90 day Type O visa, then extending for 1 years, etc.

Regarding the requirement of having 18 months remaining int he passport when applying for a retirement visa, is the 18th months required and calculated from the date of the first 90 Day Type O visa application or does one still need to have another 18 months remaining on the passport expiry date when they extend the 90 day visa to the one year visa?

1 hour ago, JimMorris said:

I am wondering if it would be a problem if someone has already already converted a 30 day upon arrival exempt visa to a Type O visa, is into the 90 day visa period, and must travel overseas for 60-90 day before being able to convert the visa to a full one year retirement visa. In a case like this would the Type O visa just be cancelled when the person leaves the country without any problems? And when the person returns to Thailand, I assume they would just have to re-enter on a new 30 day upon arrival exempt visa and start the process all over again of converting to a 90 day Type O visa, then extending for 1 years, etc.

You could get a single re-entry permit (1000 bath) to keep the remainder of the 90 day entry valid when you return from the trip. As long as you entered before the end of the 90 days you could apply for the extension.

1 hour ago, JimMorris said:

Regarding the requirement of having 18 months remaining int he passport when applying for a retirement visa, is the 18th months required and calculated from the date of the first 90 Day Type O visa application or does one still need to have another 18 months remaining on the passport expiry date when they extend the 90 day visa to the one year visa?

There is no 18 month requirement. That is only to apply for a multiple entry visa at an embassy or consulate.

If you had less than one year remaining on your passport when you applied for the extension it would be issued to the date your passport expires.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could get a single re-entry permit (1000 bath) to keep the remainder of the 90 day entry valid when you return from the trip. As long as you entered before the end of the 90 day you could apply for the extension.

Thank you. This is also good to know. Sorry I didn't word my question more clearly. My questions were, assuming the 90 day visa would expire while traveling outside of the country:

1 - Would there be any penalty for leaving the country and letting the 90 day visa expire without first converting it to a full one year visa?

2 - Would you be able to return on a new 30 day exempt visa on arrival, convert it to a new 90 day Type O visa, and start the whole process again after the 90 day visa expires without being prevented from doing so because you didn't extend the previous 90 day visa to a full one year visa before it expired?

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no 18 month requirement. That is only to apply for a multiple entry visa at an embassy or consulate.

If you had less than one year remaining on your passport when you applied for the extension it would be issued to the date your passport expires.

Thank you. What made me think there is an 18 month requirement is that it says so on the Ministry Of Foreign Affairs website for getting a Non-Immigrant “O-A” (Long Stay) visa on the basis of retirement. I realized you are saying that this only applies getting a multiple entry visa at an embassy or consulate, but on the MFA website is doesn't say that. It simply states having a passport with validity of not less than 18 months as one of the requirements. You may see here:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

Edited by JimMorris
Clarificaiton of quesitons