What do I need in the way of a low cost streaming device?

giddyup

At present I download my favorite TV series and movies onto a flash drive and then play through my TV. I don't know anything about streaming devices so need a pointer as to what to buy that's not too expensive. Thanks.

Google's Chromecast is a brilliant piece of engineering magic that can play anything on a TV screen with a HDMI input costs about $35 US

Can't figure out how to order it from the Google store in Thailand but they do list AIS as an authorized re seller

https://store.google.com/magazine/retailers_chromecast_2015

Coupled with this free player for your PC and you can cast anything on your computer to your TV screen

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/videostream-for-google-ch/cnciopoikihiagdjbjpnocolokfelagl?hl=en

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Google's Chromecast is a brilliant piece of engineering magic that can play anything on a TV screen with a HDMI input costs about $35 US

Can't figure out how to order it from the Google store in Thailand but they do list AIS as an authorized re seller

https://store.google.com/magazine/retailers_chromecast_2015

Coupled with this free player for your PC and you can cast anything on your computer to your TV screen

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/videostream-for-google-ch/cnciopoikihiagdjbjpnocolokfelagl?hl=en

Lazada sell them, but for around 2000 baht. How do they justify that?

Edited by giddyup

5 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Chromecast is your best option. You can stream anything on your PC screen to your TV. Your TV must have an HDMI port.. B1750.

http://www.lazada.co.th/google-chromecast-2015-red-3608161.html?spm=a2o4m.category-030403010000.0.0.1b11acd29tYkqz&ff=1&sc=EWgX

So the computer has to be switched on and what you want to watch has to be on the screen? I think I want something like Roku that has around 2500 streaming channels to choose from and not be limited to what is loaded on the PC. It seems to make more sense to have a device like a Roku than pay extra for a Smart TV. Am I correct?

Edited by giddyup

I have a Roku Premiere + (although now they have upgraded streaming sticks).  I’ve used Roku in the US for more than 3 years and it’s great.  The Roku box can also travel with you and be installed on any screen that has hdmi inputs.  I don’t know what it would be like in Thailand, but in US there’s a very diverse channel selection.  I’ve used Chromecast and as mentioned it will mirror on tv what’s on your computer screen.

I also use a Apple iPad for streaming when away from home.

55 minutes ago, cardinalny said:

I have a Roku Premiere + (although now they have upgraded streaming sticks).  I’ve used Roku in the US for more than 3 years and it’s great.  The Roku box can also travel with you and be installed on any screen that has hdmi inputs.  I don’t know what it would be like in Thailand, but in US there’s a very diverse channel selection.  I’ve used Chromecast and as mentioned it will mirror on tv what’s on your computer screen.

It seems from what I've been reading that Roku doesn't work too well in Thailand. Hopefully someone who knows more than me can comment.

6 hours ago, cardinalny said:

I, too, use Roku.  They have different versions, one designed specifically for travel.   No PC or laptop needed (for any of the versions).  It's a compact device that essentially turns a TV (with an available HDMI socket) into a Smart TV and comes with an RF remote (so not the IR-type that needs to be "pointed at" something to work like most TV remotes).   The Roku just needs wifi access to the internet (and decent bandwidth), and setting up connections in hotels is fairly easy (you WILL have to be able to find the input select setting on the TV menus that selects the HDMI input).   'Comes with a collection of 100s of  streaming "apps" (you could call them "channels; e.g., Netflix, Hulu, etc.), some free, some subscription, and add'l ones can be added.  You "select" the apps you want to install; easy to uninstall/reinstall later.   The different Roku versions usually cost somewhere under USD100; 'don't know if they can be purchased anywhere in Thailand; I got mine in US.  Can be upgraded with microSD memory cards.

Even the non-"travel" versions are not at all bulky and could be conveniently packed up & transported.

Several websites out there offering reviews and comparisons of the different media streaming devices.

I also have a free iPhone app called 'TV Cast', which allows me to find almost any video (occasionally I'll hit an unsupported video format) on the internet with my iPhone, and then "cast" it to the TV via my Roku & wifi (so not limited to Roku's channels/apps).  The app "finds" your already installed and working Roku, so hardly any setup involved.

If you have Win 10, you can set it to use a Wireless display, which most modern TVs can handle. You would need a home wireless network. Then there is the option of direct HDMI cable between your computer and TV.

Downloading it and watching it when you want to without spinning circles isn't too bad an option!

Edited by jacko45k

For about 2.5k, you can get this:

http://www.lazada.co.th/android-smart-tv-box-2017-magicsee-iron-2gb16gb-s905x-quad-core-712-1-hdmi-av-2-46407105.html?spm=a2o4m.search.0.0.308d1ff0ipNNXM&ff=1

It's a great box.  Put KODI on it and you're set.  For best results, make sure you've got a very good wifi signal.  If not, direct connect the box to your network.

A lot of good info in this subform in the pinned topics on KODI.

It really depends on just what the OP wants...

If he JUST wants to play local files to his TV, then connecting a PC or laptop via HDMI cable to his TV is the absolute simplest, easiest, cheapest method. [That assumes both the TV and PC have available HDMI ports.] No fiddling with wifi or issues about wifi strength, interference, etc. Just play on the PC and the video and audio come out on the attached TV.

If he wants to play streamed content from the big wide world, then that's where streaming boxes and dongles come into play. Any website or file that you can play in the Chrome browser on a PC or laptop can be streamed via wifi to a HDMI port equipped TV if you buy and plug in a Chromecast dongle made by Google. Some smart TVs even come with built in Chromecast capability.

But if the OP doesn't want to use a PC or laptop as the source of his content, then that's where streaming boxes like Roku, Mi Box, Shield Tv, etc come into play. Those kinds of devices, once plugged into an available HDMI port on the TV, often can play local files, but they're really more focused on playing other content that's out there in the Internet from services like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, IFlix, etc. (which still often can also be accessed via web browsers).

One complication on the streaming boxes/dongles front is the Thai government earlier this year announced that they were making it illegal to import streaming devices into Thailand unless they've first been licensed by the NBTC, which apparently is a difficult thing for an end-user/buyer to accomplish. One user here recently has reported having his streaming box/boxes confiscated by Thai Customs.

Streaming devices, including the Chromecast, are available here in Thailand in some shops and from some Thai online sources, but you really have to be careful to make sure you're getting an authentic and correct item you want as opposed to a China version that may or may not support EN language and may or may not have Google Play Store support, etc etc. The prices also are generally inflated.

You can also source streaming devices from various online sources like Lazada whose sellers will import them into Thailand and where you can purchase COD and thus not have any $ risk if the package is seized by Thai Customs. But again, you have to be very careful to make sure you're getting the correct/proper item and know what recourse you have, if any, if the purchase goes bad.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

17 hours ago, giddyup said:

So the computer has to be switched on and what you want to watch has to be on the screen? I think I want something like Roku that has around 2500 streaming channels to choose from and not be limited to what is loaded on the PC. It seems to make more sense to have a device like a Roku than pay extra for a Smart TV. Am I correct?

Once you cast to chromecast with your mobile or pc you don't have leave it on that program. Go read your mail if you want while watching TV.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

There's a review on Youtube of it by Redskull and he says he wouldn't recommend it as it doesn't allow access to Google Play and all apps need side install? Is this true?

I don't access Google Play from inside KODI.  Rarely access it at all anyway.  But I do it when the box first fires up.  In Android mode.  You can install anything you want there.

I have and use a variety of technologies mentioned in this thread, including the Chromecast.

But for my, and my style, I've never enjoyed or felt comfortable noodling around finding TV content on a small smartphone or tablet and then flinging to a TV via Chromecast.

For me, it's much simpler and more comfortable to simply have a streaming device plugged into the TV (Android TV, Roku, Fire TV, etc.) and then control those via a remote control, and navigate and make my content choices viewing them on the big screen as opposed to my 5.5 inch smartphone.

So I have Chromecasts, but almost never use them in favor of Android TV, Fire TV, Roku, etc.

One issue about Roku is, AFAIK because it's a primarily U.S. device, that your available selection of apps and content may be more limited if you register the device (payment card) with a non U.S. address and/or try playing content via the Roku box/stick with a non U.S. IP address.

If anyone here with a Roku has used it with a non-U.S. IP or payment address, maybe they can speak to that point...

https://thevpn.guru/american-roku-outside-usa-change-region

These are the kinds of international use comments I've seen in the past regarding using Rokus:

When I bought my Roku streaming stick in the USA, the guy assured me I could access all its channels at my home in Jerusalem. I set up my stick and my account once home, and only THEN realized the sales guy was incorrect, and the stations available to me here in Israel are worthless and obscure. Can I delete this acct and set up a new one as per your instructions? Won’t it recognize my internet connection from my initial set up and block me again? Thanks.

If you use your American Roku account to sign into the Roku the first time you set it up, you will be able to add American channels to it. However, to watch content via these channels while in India, you either have to use VPN or Smart DNS proxies.

However, if you want to watch Indian channels on your Roku, you have to create a new Indian Roku account. In this case, there’s no need for VPN.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I started off with Western Digital media players years ago.  Downloaded content, either put it on a USB drive or accessed a networked drive to play it.  WD's later devices had services similar to what Roku offered.  I looked into them, but for the money, it was just too easy to download whatever I wanted.  I did a few trials with sites like Netflix, Hulu, etc.  They aren't cheap!  Especially when you need several to really get to all the content. 

I'm super happy with an Android box and Kodi.  I rarely watch live TV, so that makes it easier.

22 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

But I do it when the box first fires up.  In Android mode.  You can install anything you want there.

OK, that' what I meant from Android mode. The guy on Youtube said cannot access Google Playstore in Android mode, but thanks for the heads up saying you can. I've got a Beelink device in meantime, very happy with that as well. 

• 4 months later...
On 26/10/2017 at 8:42 AM, craigt3365 said:

For about 2.5k, you can get this:

http://www.lazada.co.th/android-smart-tv-box-2017-magicsee-iron-2gb16gb-s905x-quad-core-712-1-hdmi-av-2-46407105.html?spm=a2o4m.search.0.0.308d1ff0ipNNXM&ff=1

It's a great box.  Put KODI on it and you're set.  For best results, make sure you've got a very good wifi signal.  If not, direct connect the box to your network.

A lot of good info in this subform in the pinned topics on KODI.

Magicsee Iron S905X is good for boiling eggs, but that's about it, as it runs so hot with Kodi that it crashes after less than an hour, unless you make drastic hardware and firmware modifications.

Been there got the T-shirt, with a lot bought straight from manufacturer, so no knock off's

Edited by janclaes47

I ended up buying a cheap Android box ($25) from AliExpress, loaded kodinolimits on to it and  everything worked fine, except there was a bit of time involved finding the program I wanted, but at the end of the day I still prefer to download what I want to a flash drive and play it on my TV. The problem I found with the kodinolimits was that there were just too many choices and I was all over  the place with my viewing. I ended up disconnecting the box and going back to my old ways.

17 hours ago, giddyup said:

I ended up buying a cheap Android box ($25) from AliExpress, loaded kodinolimits on to it and  everything worked fine, except there was a bit of time involved finding the program I wanted, but at the end of the day I still prefer to download what I want to a flash drive and play it on my TV. The problem I found with the kodinolimits was that there were just too many choices and I was all over  the place with my viewing. I ended up disconnecting the box and going back to my old ways.

These days, I've pretty much abandoned Kodi (except for very occasional and specific uses) and instead use the single Android app Terrarium to essentially provide the same kinds of movie and TV content.

Unlike Kodi add-ons that are constantly changing, coming, dying, etc etc., Terrarium has been a consistent, well-performing, reliable app for me over a long period of months.

• Like 2