Pros & cons of dating a Thai(man).

Hiro357

The same subject directed at Thai women usually results in a generalisation that all Thai girls lie and only want you for your money. That the good girls only date Thai men and not farang. Also that the rich, or hi so, will only date Thai men also. We have all seen such posts. 

Then we read this thread and it generalises Thai men are useless. I wonder why the good or rich choose them then if we are to believe other generalisations, it's not like they are in a poverty situation and will take the crap just to make their lives better. Maybe because every person is different, so we can't take a specific example and apply it to everyone. Just like we can't say all Thai girls want us for our money. 

Generalising only extends so far, that is why it is thought best not to do it as it just ends up looking stupid. Not a fear of offending people, it just doesn't give any sort of accuracy. Learn the specific person!

Edited by wildewillie89
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hiro357 said:

why would so many farangs wish to settle down here for good? Is it because everything's cheaper? Or the women?

Going out on a ledge here but....

I think most farang males come to LOS for the women. I believe the average Thai woman thinks a farang will not resort to violence, they will be generally honest and they have more money. These three things are attractive if you consider the local alternatives.

And I agree varun, this thread is starting to have the troll feel to it.

3 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

And the only way to do that is to learn each guy in the relevant context. As everyone is different. Not make a generalisation from one situation and apply to the whole country. The OP hasn't even shown  signs of acknowledging any positive things about Thai men. Which suggests he had preconceived thoughts which are not open to change. So why bother with the thread to begin with? Just to try and ignorantly confirm these thoughts based on incredibly restricted experiences members have had with the odd Thai guy?

Read my first post again. I have listed a number of positive things about this Thai guy, as well as criticism of my own culture. Or were you so biased that you chose to skip those?

Edited by Hiro357

It seems one can't have a decent discussion without a bunch of snowflakes getting offended for having their illusions shattered. My title and original post both include PROs and cons of dating a Thai. Yet people either focus on the cons due to their over-sensibility, or because they have similar negative experience as my gal pal. Any pros are also welcome. But if people can't handle a discussion, then this discussion board is no longer useful.

• Like 1

Posts containing inflammatory comments directed at other members have been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hiro357 said:

You are really thick. 

1.By BS I mean beating around the bush. But the truth I meant was what really happened to my friend.

2.I stated multiple times that I agree with the consensus that violence is a deal breaker. But I'm not the one who needs to make a decision.

3.What is the point of any discussion about cultures if people like you always brush it off as generalizing?

Some people here are overly cynical. Maybe it's an age thing. 

Read the threads about Thai women. 30 pages in and no point or consensus. Just bashing. Just a view from one family circumstance that has been generalised to mean the whole country is the same. It is why you cannot make generalisations in study, as they are worthless. Incredibly restrictive viewpoints. Broaden your mind and go and speak to the local authorities, workplaces, whatever re violence in Thailand. Just last month the assistant head village wife came to my family for help as she was beaten. Her husband now must give her the house she lives in and half his salary or lose his job. 

It is not always dealt with by police, as that law is relatively recent. Just like Japan, the police used to never get involved in domestic violence issues. But new laws give them that right, and even if the woman does not go to the police, there are still other options available like above. 

It is not acceptable, in modern Thai law, or culture if you want to call it that, to beat partners. Like the post that you agreed with previously. 

Edited by wildewillie89

2 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

Read the threads about Thai women. 30 pages in and no point or consensus. Just bashing. Just a view from one family circumstance that has been generalised to mean the whole country is the same. It is why you cannot make generalisations in study, as they are worthless. Incredibly restrictive viewpoints. Broaden your mind and go and speak to the local authorities, workplaces, whatever re violence in Thailand. Just last month the assistant head village wife came to my family for help as she was beaten. Her husband now must give her the house she lives in and half his salary or lose his job. 

It is not always dealt with by police, as that law is relatively recent. Just like Japan, the police used to never get involved in domestic violence issues. But new laws give them that right, and even if the woman does not go to the police, there are still other options available like above. 

It is not acceptable, in modern Thai law, or culture if you want to call it that, to beat partners. Like the post that you agreed with previously. 

I understand that perfectly. But my posts contains no maliciousness of any kind. At least that's my intention. My main purpose here is to help this girl.

So seeing that you have some experience, what would you recommend she do about the abuse she has received?

13 hours ago, Hiro357 said:

I understand that perfectly. But my posts contains no maliciousness of any kind. At least that's my intention. My main purpose here is to help this girl.

So seeing that you have some experience, what would you recommend she do about the abuse she has received?

Tell me that isn't a serious question. 

12 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

Tell me that isn't a serious question. 

I'm guessing your reason of saying that is to suggest that she should walk away. So your so proclaimed Thai laws that protect women's rights don't cover her. No half of a house for the abused Japanese girl.

Edited by Hiro357

On 10/25/2017 at 4:35 PM, wildewillie89 said:

And the only way to do that is to learn each guy in the relevant context. As everyone is different. Not make a generalisation from one situation and apply to the whole country. The OP hasn't even shown  signs of acknowledging any positive things about Thai men. Which suggests he had preconceived thoughts which are not open to change. So why bother with the thread to begin with? Just to try and ignorantly confirm these thoughts based on incredibly restricted experiences members have had with the odd Thai guy?

To be fair to Hiro (unless "he" is a pseudonym for the friend he is asking about) is that he likely hasn't dated any Thai men, so is probably viewing their behavior through a glass darkly.

On 10/26/2017 at 8:35 AM, stevkob said:

I think most farang males come to LOS for the women. I believe the average Thai woman thinks a farang will not resort to violence, they will be generally honest and they have more money. These three things are attractive if you consider the local alternatives.

Usually they only want the money and don't care about a bit of violence or honesty at all.

All the Thai girls I've been through, zero honesty and plenty of domestic violence aimed at me.

It's a violent and dishonest country.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

• 8 months later...

I was dating a Thai Guy he was a good <deleted> and gentile man  was shy. At times he would flip out because l Feel he need open up more about his feeling on his life.  He helped me through alot and never treated me bad. He recentley moved far away for his job from me. I still keep in contact with him, but not sure if the relationship will work out distance is hard on me but i know he will have a special place in my heart. He helped me through my dads death and knew about some issues i had but i know for me my eye will wander and i know i will prob be dating a new Guy soon . I cant be by myself to long I am  not getting any younger. I like feeling of be with someone.

Edited by Annie 66

On 10/24/2017 at 11:23 PM, Hiro357 said:

Not a single slap in the face but, getting on top of her and beating the shit out of her kind of violence.

If this is in fact true, then the ONLY advice you need to give your friend is this: STAY THE FXXX AWAY from this guy!! He's a loser, big time, and he isn't going to change anytime soon (if ever). 

As for the other points you raised, well, they just confirm what a loser this guy is. 

On 7/5/2018 at 11:05 AM, Annie 66 said:

I was dating a Thai Guy he was a good <deleted> and gentile man  was shy. At times he would flip out because l Feel he need open up more about his feeling on his life.  He helped me through alot and never treated me bad. He recentley moved far away for his job from me. I still keep in contact with him, but not sure if the relationship will work out distance is hard on me but i know he will have a special place in my heart. He helped me through my dads death and knew about some issues i had but i know for me my eye will wander and i know i will prob be dating a new Guy soon . I cant be by myself to long I am  not getting any younger. I like feeling of be with someone.

My eye will wander? Are you sure that your eyes are handling your sexual desire? A special place in your heart? Sorry, but who cares about that? 

Are you really looking for a Thai man who's taking care of you? Why do you think has the other one left you? Wouldn't you be with him now, if he'd have loved you? 

Pleas wake up.