Thai woman "learner driver" ends up in the Chiang Mai moat

webfact

Thai woman "learner driver" ends up in the Chiang Mai moat

2pm.jpg

Pictures: Manager Online

A Thai woman learning to drive ended up driving her new Mitsubishi Attrage and family into the Chiang Mai moat.

But Nitchapat Thaiwichai, 40, and her three passengers including girls aged 3 and 8 in the back were all saved thanks to a man who dived in to help.

The accident happened downtown near the Chiang Mai Ram hospital where the company employee was doing a U-turn.

She apparently mistook the brake for the accelerator as they are very close.

A video and still pictures on Manager showed the clear Thai lettering on the back of the car that the driver was new and learning how to drive.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-27

6 minutes ago, Thian said:

Looks like a busy road, how can she plan to make a U-turn there?

I bet she bought her driverslicense.

it amazes me that people feel the need to offer up a comment without even reading the headline, let alone the entire article.

she did not buy he license, she had a learners permit.

it,  however, begs the question, why she was "learning" with her entire family in the car, but thats another issue altogether.

1 hour ago, HooHaa said:

she did not buy he license, she had a learners permit.

There is no such thing in Thailand. I wish there was. First hand knowledge as my kid has just gone through the process of getting her first Thai DL

I had my first driving lesson in Melbourne, (accompanied by a monitor, who had his own brakes etc.).  It was 6ish at night in full traffic with a blinding, thunder and lightning  rainstorm. ( I remember that the GPO was flooded).  I nearly pee'd in my pants I was so frightened.  I was a complete wreck when I got out, I could hardly stand, but I tell you, I became one hell of a good driver after.

Whilst I agree with most of the comments above, I do not with the remarks about why she was driving around the Ram.

learning in heavy difficult traffic is the best thing.  BUT BUT B UT where was the monitor and why were there children in the car.

3 hours ago, Maejo Man said:

How on earth do they learn to drive (or not as the case may be) in registered driving schools of which there many in Chiangmai without some form of license ?

Where is a driver school? I live in Chiang Mai 5 years non stop, and I never saw any driverschool or any car from a drivingschool anywhere in Thaialnd. And we are living in the moat.

1 hour ago, chickenrunCM said:

Where is a driver school? I live in Chiang Mai 5 years non stop, and I never saw any driverschool or any car from a drivingschool anywhere in Thaialnd. And we are living in the moat.

you just saw a marked learner's car passing by IN the moat.

joking aside, there are schools where people can get the training needed, IF they want.
But who wants to spend 4000 B to learn how to reverse around the corner or park the car in a space 2 meters longer than the car, let alone go learn how to drive up and down doi saket a few times staying in lane with an average speed of 50 or over, or drive on the road around the moat in rush hour ....
Rather have the kids learn that in the driving school's car than in mine.

Edited by KKr

you just saw a marked learner's car passing by IN the moat.

joking aside, there are schools where people can get the training needed, IF they want.
But who wants to spend 4000 B to learn how to reverse around the corner or park the car in a space 2 meters longer than the car, let alone go learn how to drive up and down doi saket a few times staying in lane with an average speed of 50 or over, or drive on the road around the moat in rush hour ....
Rather have the kids learn that in the driving school's car than in mine.

That's what I did with my wife and daughter, driving school near Changpuak Gate, dual controls, to be honest they weren't bad.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So what happened to the new strict test?

"video and still pictures on Manager showed the clear Thai lettering on the back of the car that the driver was new and learning how to drive. "

The article says nothing about a learner's permit, just about the small writing on the back window.

I saw one today do a right turn and completely misjudge it and almost knock over several parked motorbikes in a marked parking area. Then reverse into the main road to complete the turn making traffic screech to a halt.

Completely hopeless, and lethally dangerous...

:whistling: