How to live for 4000 baht a month. Not inc rents.

dfdgfdfdgs

IMHO those who can live like the OP deserve some kudos; however, I do have to wonder if they would be living under a bridge in their home country.

On a purely mercantile level, I forget who it was that said " Life is like a s##t sandwich. The more bread you have, the less s##t you have to eat".

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

IMHO those who can live like the OP deserve some kudos; however, I do have to wonder if they would be living under a bridge in their home country.

On a purely mercantile level, I forget who it was that said " Life is like a s##t sandwich. The more bread you have, the less s##t you have to eat".

The more bread you have, the better it tastes ..........

Note: 'have' not 'spend'

Edited by MaeJoMTB

On 10/28/2017 at 7:12 PM, fiddlehead said:

That's pretty good and I always get some ideas from these threads. 

I understand some people go through ups and downs in life and might have to live as cheaply as possible at times. 
But I think you missed a few: 

Internet? 

Soap, shampoo, shaving cream, coffee, 

Phone?

Snacks? 

He only washes clothes 3 times a month, no mention of soap for that or his body, wouldn;t sit next to him in a bar..............see my Avatar, even my shack has air conditioning  :smile:

On 28/10/2017 at 10:14 PM, InMyShadow said:

It's loathing because you western pathetic bums slumming it in a devolping country make us normal people look bad as well

Go home before your 2 year overstay kicks in.

we all know it's going to happen

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

No it's your own self loathing.

No one really knows when their finances may take a serious knock be it currency fluctuations,sudden hospital costs ,divorce, being scammed or a whole host of other things that might bite you.Most of us will ride through it but as you get older with more of a fixed income it will become harder and it's good to know just how low you could go if you had to.

Many of us are here for the long term and have little or no interest in returning to our countries of origin permanently.Personally i  know I can 'survive'  on 1000b a day and I'm  a long way from having to do that,and very glad I don't have to.

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

He only washes clothes 3 times a month, no mention of soap for that or his body, wouldn;t sit next to him in a bar..............see my Avatar, even my shack has air conditioning  :smile:

many here seem to take issue with only washing clothes 3 times a month (every 10 days). I wash mine every weekend but can easily stretch that to every second weekend if needed.

Sounds to me like the people that have issue with this "washes clothes 3 times a month" might not be able to afford the clothing to do this and maybe they should be looking to the OP to live a more frugal life.

Edited by Techno Viking

18 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

many here seem to take issue with only washing clothes 3 times a month (every 10 days). I wash mine every weekend but can easily stretch that to every second weekend if needed.

Sounds to me like the people that have issue with this "washes clothes 3 times a month" might not be able to afford the clothing to do this and maybe they should be looking to the OP to live a more frugal life.

I guess because it's hard to believe that someone as frugal as he sounds watching every baht would have a wardrobe full of clothes. 

*waits for someone to tell me you can buy a sackful of clothes for 50 baht at Big C

11 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I guess because it's hard to believe that someone as frugal as he sounds watching every baht would have a wardrobe full of clothes. 

*waits for someone to tell me you can buy a sackful of clothes for 50 baht at Big C

I doubt the OP arrived with just the clothes on  his back.

27 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Sounds to me like the people that have issue with this "washes clothes 3 times a month" might not be able to afford the clothing to do this 

Hey , if you have a Thai GF they will insist to handwashing every 3-4 days..

use a river of water

50 baht worth of powder mostly all wasted

20 baht liquid "nam hom"

But of course if you are like this Op

you will not afford a Thai GF on expense allowance of 130baht/day

So must get used to do EVERYTHING with hand, including washing clothes.5555

13 hours ago, torrzent said:

Hey you might be onto something.....maybe you should submit a proposal for a cheap charlie master chef reality show on the Food channel....see who can make the best grub on the cheap.  Maybe get Simon Cowell as one of the tester judges.  Can imagine the look on his face when he tries the food in that pic!

Zzzzzzzz

6 hours ago, Naam said:

no idea! but to be fair... the purchase power of 300 Baht in the 70s was a multiple of today's Baht. in BKK a clean 4star hotel was 400 Baht, a suite in the old Nana Hotel was 600 Baht, 6 grilled rock lobsters in an airconditioned proper restaurant was 60-80 Baht depending on weight, taxi fare BKK to Pattaya (lasting 3-4 hours) 200 Baht, top shoeshine job 5 Baht and the ladies could converse in a rudimentary English, German and Arabic. those were the days.

Jesus Christ. I can't wait for the day in 2047 when I'll be forming full time and reminiscing about 3600 baht Conrad nights, 60 baht kebabs from the cart a 5 baht beng bengs.

Poster of the year for sure.

16 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

Hey , if you have a Thai GF they will insist to handwashing every 3-4 days..

use a river of water

50 baht worth of powder mostly all wasted

20 baht liquid "nam hom"

So must get used to do EVERYTHING with hand, including washing clothes.5555

what are you dribbling and why are you quoting me ?

Edited by Techno Viking

23 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

<snip>

<snip2>

Maybe he has found a Thai GF who loves him for who he really is.

also no budget for travel...so all walking

I could eat 3 meals a day for about 120 baht a day drinking the free water.  That's still almost 4,000 baht a month.  And once again no transportation.

And of course you would be drinking nothing but water.  And sex...better be handy.

I haven't read through all the pages but some of the criticism I have read explains why we have a serious problem with our planet and it is doubtful that civilization as we know it today will manage to last another 100 years unless the amount of carbon dioxide released is drastically reduced. If most people were like the OP we wouldn't have this serious problem.

So instead of being critical I think the OP deserves congratulations. The past 40 years has seen the lucky few well off gain immense riches while the poor masses have been getting much poorer.

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

Maybe he has found a Thai GF who loves him for who he really is.

Not me, my wife is with me for the money.

Sorry, I thought this thread was about how much we spend on ourselves, not how much we pay our wife/gf to sleep with us.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

24 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Sorry, I thought this thread was about how much we spend on ourselves, not how much we pay our wife/gf to sleep with us.

I said 'most' or at least that's what most want you to believe.

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

I simply do not understand why anyone would want to live like that. If you have no money and have to live like that, it seems you planned your life poorly. It still seems more pleasant to go to work.

You are assuming they can find work. Technology has eliminated or minimized a lot of formerly well-paid professions.

As I sit here sipping on my Baileys and ice I am trying to figure out what I would have to go without to live on that amount.  Nope, not going to go without but if he can live on that than good on him. My lifestyle is not over the top but what I want and when I want, I buy it. I came here to live a comfortable life but to do it on 4000 bah, nope, no way.  By the way, I'm not into bars or the girls found there, but I do like a good food and a good drink so I do save a few baht by not indulging where I don't need to.  Oh, and my dog, he eats that amount in food each month so he would blow that budget straight away. :wai: 

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Let's not kid ourselves. Thai women are with us because of the security we provide, compared to their previous precarious existence. Threaten that, and you arouse a raging demon.

1 hour ago, nivram4491 said:

I haven't read through all the pages but some of the criticism I have read explains why we have a serious problem with our planet and it is doubtful that civilization as we know it today will manage to last another 100 years unless the amount of carbon dioxide released is drastically reduced. If most people were like the OP we wouldn't have this serious problem.

So instead of being critical I think the OP deserves congratulations. The past 40 years has seen the lucky few well off gain immense riches while the poor masses have been getting much poorer.

Another credulous prediction, one which neither of us will be around to confirm or refute. But given that Carbon Dioxide is the source of all plant life are we too expect that we will have the "Attack  of the Plants", that will kill off us humans because there is no way that CO2 will.  :wai: