Non-O ends just before I return, what should I do?

I am married to my Thai wife and we have children. I have been in Thailand for 12 years and have some experience with visas.

However my one year multi entry Non-O visa will end about a week before I return to Thailand next February. I am in Thailand now but will leave in December for 2 months.

Is there any way to extent this that early before I leave? Should I try to return on a 15 day tourist visa and just redo the whole process for the Non-O. It took me over a month last time.

Are their better options out there? Honestly I have been looking at the 20 year tourist visa for 1,000,000 Baht as a way to not have to deal with immigration issues yearly as I travel often. Is there any real down side to this?

Any suggestions welcomed, thanks in advance.

3 minutes ago, tonray said:

Instead of coming in on a tourist visa exemption since you will be out of the country why not apply for a new Non-O before you re-enter ?

I had the understanding that I could only do this 2 weeks before my other one expired. Is that not true? Can I start the process now, 3 months in advance?

Edited by TyGrr

17 minutes ago, TyGrr said:

However my one year multi entry Non-O visa will end about a week before I return to Thailand next February. I am in Thailand now but will leave in December for 2 months.

Do you have a non-o visa issued by an embassy or a extension of stay issued at immigration with a multiple re-entry permit?

@ubonjoe

It was issued here in Thailand. Took about 45 days sadly. A window I might not be able to do when I return.

I will be traveling so trying at an embassy somewhere will not be an option either.

Thanks

1 hour ago, TyGrr said:

It was issued here in Thailand. Took about 45 days sadly. A window I might not be able to do when I return.

I will be traveling so trying at an embassy somewhere will not be an option either.

You have an extension of stay not a visa if you it got here in the country at immigration.

If you not back in the country by the time your extension ends you will have to start all over again by getting a new non-o visa entry.

You will get a 30 day visa exempt entry if you are from a country that qualifies for one.

Okay, thank you for the help ubonjoe.

Is there any disadvantage (other than the fee) for the 20 year tourist visa over the Non-O? I want to just be able to come and visit my family when I'm able, not when the immigration needs me to do more paper work.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, TyGrr said:
2 hours ago, tonray said:

Instead of coming in on a tourist visa exemption since you will be out of the country why not apply for a new Non-O before you re-enter ?

I had the understanding that I could only do this 2 weeks before my other one expired. Is that not true? Can I start the process now, 3 months in advance?

I think he meant, and I would suggest, getting a new single-entry Non-O Visa from a Thai consulate abroad (where you are going) before you return.  After returning, you can get an extension from your Non-O Visa by the same process you use to extend, currently. 

If you travel frequently, a 1-year Multiple-Entry Non-O Visa from a consulate abroad would also work.  The caveat is you must leave Thailand and return every 90-days (or extend for 60 more days at immigration before the Out/In trip).  But you could also apply for a 1-year extension from any of its entries, like a single-entry Non-O Visa - same as you did the last time.

Getting the Non-O Visa abroad would save the hassle of trying to "convert" a tourist-type entry to a Non-O in-country, which adds additional steps and paperwork, and may be near-impossible at some offices (Jomtien, for example).

Yet another option, since you seem to be willing to spend some serious coin on this, is to inquire with a Visa-Agent, to see if they can get your extension done early.  Given they routinely arrange visas for those who do not even qualify for them, I would bet they can get an early-extension for someone who actually does qualify.  This should involve a fee that which is a tiny-fraction of the cost of an Elite Visa, and should include a multi-re-entry permit.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, TyGrr said:

Is there any disadvantage (other than the fee) for the 20 year tourist visa over the Non-O? I want to just be able to come and visit my family when I'm able, not when the immigration needs me to do more paper work.

I assume you mean the 20 year Thai Elite membership allows a 5 year PE visa to be issued (4 times). It allows unlimited one year entries.

You best option is to get a multiple entry non-o visa that allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue. You can get one at the consulate in Savannakhet Laos with without financial proof.

Thanks guys, I will not be able to able to get the Non-O on my next two month trip. I could however get one in Loas either before or after my trip. I do have proof of funds so that would not be an issue.

A visa service might work but I do not know of any around here, I'll have to ask around. I have always done it the hard way before :(

The Thai Elite membership more or less makes it so I will not have to visit Loas each year for the next 20 years. This is a huge plus for me as I went to university here and I pretty much live here with family. I want to be able to come here when needed.

I'm trying to find any down side to the 20 year membership program other than money. I'm more or less trading money for time here and no other disadvantage that I can see. I just want to makie sure I'm not missing something. As far as I understand it all I will need to do is leave once a year and do my 90 day reports. I almost never stay more than 90 days at a time so this should not be an issue. 

Thanks again guys.

"I have been in Thailand for 12 years and have some experience with visas." 

I just have no idea that I was here on an extension not a visa. Please don't share you vast wealth of experience with anyone else. 

2 hours ago, TyGrr said:

I'm trying to find any down side to the 20 year membership program other than money. I'm more or less trading money for time here and no other disadvantage that I can see. I just want to makie sure I'm not missing something. As far as I understand it all I will need to do is leave once a year and do my 90 day reports. I almost never stay more than 90 days at a time so this should not be an issue. 

Apart from cost, the only other significant disadvantage of the Thailand Elite PE visa, over a Non O, is that it does not allow you to work. If the money is not a major consideration, the PE visa certainly cuts through virtually all the immigration hassles associated with coming and going for arbitrary lengths of time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TyGrr said:

It's a good, albeit expensive, option. A downside is that you are paying upfront for a 20 year membership, but they only issue the visas for 5 years at a time, so in the unlikely event that they wind up the scheme you have no guarantee that future visas will be issued.

As you are married, and travel a lot, I would say that a Multiple Entry Non-immigrant 'O' visa is the best option unless 1M baht is easily affordable. If circumstances change you can apply for another 1 year extension at immigration during any of the 90 day entries from the ME 'O' visa.