Phnom Pen requires in person applications now?

I'm going to Cambodia next month to visit my Dad in Kam Pot and to get a visa in the process.  Last year I did the same and I tried to use a visa service from Kam Pot as users here suggested but ultimately the visa company failed to ask for proper documents and I stupidly didn't do my due diligence which resulted in no visa and my passport being returned (almost missed my flight too).

This year I just had my Dad ask them again  if I make sure to get the proper documents (I know what they are now) can they do it? They replied the Thai Embassy no longer allows 3rd party submissions so I need to apply in person.

My question is, can anyone confirm this is the actual policy or is this visa service just incompetent or not willing to take the risk? I'd like to not have to go back and forth for the visa and find a visa service. This has been the policy in Thailand since 2005 it stands to reason Cambodia won't allow it either.

Thanks.

As far as I know the embassy still accepts applications from agents. I have seen no reports about it. I suspect the agent just cannot do it because they do not have contacts in Phnom Penh to help them.

Not familiar enough with Cambodia to be if much help. Perhaps contacting an agent in Sihanoukville or Phnom Penh would be best.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As far as I know the embassy still accepts applications from agents. I have seen no reports about it. I suspect the agent just cannot do it because they do not have contacts in Phnom Penh to help them.

Not familiar enough with Cambodia to be if much help. Perhaps contacting an agent in Sihanoukville or Phnom Penh would be best.

Thanks Joe. If another person sees this and had a contrary experience recently maybe they can let me know. My Dad could ask them for me if anyone had a number of an agent.

1 hour ago, genericptr said:

This year I just had my Dad ask them (the agent) again  if I make sure to get the proper documents (I know what they are now) can they do it? They replied the Thai Embassy no longer allows 3rd party submissions so I need to apply in person.

You could have the agent contact Lucky Lucky Moto Shop's visa-service office, and they can relay it through them - assuming your local agent has a courier to get your application+passport+docs to Phnom Penh.  Expect it to take a week, though. 

8 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

You could have the agent contact Lucky Lucky Moto Shop's visa-service office, and they can relay it through them - assuming your local agent has a courier to get your application+passport+docs to Phnom Penh.  Expect it to take a week, though. 

I could actually submit the passport after I got off the plane before I go to Kam Pot then pick it up the day I leave (I arrive Sat-Friday so the embassy is closed until Tuesday after the Thai holiday). Do you have any contact information so I could have my Dad call and ask? Thanks.

1 hour ago, genericptr said:

I could actually submit the passport after I got off the plane before I go to Kam Pot then pick it up the day I leave (I arrive Sat-Friday so the embassy is closed until Tuesday after the Thai holiday). Do you have any contact information so I could have my Dad call and ask? Thanks.

Lucky Lucky Moto

413E Monivong Boulevard
[email protected]
010 998 099
099 808 788

16 hours ago, genericptr said:

Thanks Joe. If another person sees this and had a contrary experience recently maybe they can let me know. My Dad could ask them for me if anyone had a number of an agent.

Not sure if I understood well - you are requesting a visa for Cambidia? Well, that would be very easy: just fligh & get your 30 days visa directly from the immigration at Phnom Phenh airport, $ 40 in cash. No waiting, no aplications & no agency required.

To get in Phnom Phenh (and everywhere else) a visa for Thailand you have to vsit the Thai embassy personally. 

Edited by German farang

I would not put much stock in what Travel agencies in Kampot tell you about Thai visas, they are good for Vietnamese visa only.

Ana and motah travel in Sihanoukville specialize in Thai visas.Exept for a brief period 15 years ago after the burning of their embassy, when Farangs had to appear in person, not only did they allow agency to do it, but encourage you to go through agencies by giving anybody a hard time who dared to appear in person.As one agency in PP told me the get 'paid' by the agencies.They have to much to lose by reversing that.

15 minutes ago, German farang said:

To get in Phnom Phenh (and everywhere else) a visa for Thailand you have to vsit the Thai embassy personally. 

Yeah a Thai visa. Why do you say you must appear in person? That's the question I'm asking. I'm hearing the visa services in Kam Pot are wrong you don't need to appear in person. 

14 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

I would not put much stock in what Travel agencies in Kampot tell you about Thai visas, they are good for Vietnamese visa only.

Ana and motah travel in Sihanoukville specialize in Thai visas.Exept for a brief period 15 years ago after the burning of their embassy, when Farangs had to appear in person, not only did they allow agency to do it, but encourage you to go through agencies by giving anybody a hard time who dared to appear in person.As one agency in PP told me the get 'paid' by the agencies.They have to much to lose by reversing that.

Last year when I was there it was just me and 2 other guys with stacks of passports so I'm inclined to believe you but I need to contact an actual agency I guess to be sure. It's the same in the Thailand that when a company says "it's not possible" that often means they can't do it themselves but don't want to lose face by being honest. If they just told the truth I wouldn't be wasting everyones time trying to figure this out.

If I understand you correctly, you will be traveling to Cambodia from Thailand to see your Dad. While there you want to get a visa to return to Thailand. I that is the case why not just get a reentry of you current visa sorted out at the airport before you leave?

If what I assumed is incorrect can you explain what you are trying to do?

2 hours ago, tryasimight said:

If what I assumed is incorrect can you explain what you are trying to do?

Yes I'm getting another Thai tourist visa because I want to stay in Thailand longer than 1 month. I'm trying to determine if the embassy allows 3rd party submissions from visa services.

3 minutes ago, genericptr said:

Yes I'm getting another Thai tourist visa because I want to stay in Thailand longer than 1 month. I'm trying to determine if the embassy allows 3rd party submissions from visa services.

Can you get the visa waiver 30 days on arrival and then extend for another 30?...that'll give you two months more or less without too much hassle.

Sorry I have no knowledge of the 3rd party application process. What are you really looking for ? A SETV to give you 3 months or so?

Edited by tryasimight

1 hour ago, tryasimight said:

Sorry I have no knowledge of the 3rd party application process. What are you really looking for ? A SETV to give you 3 months or so?

Yes that's exactly right. The question was specifically about the embassy and their 3rd party submission rules.

Yes agents are still doing single entry visas. I have friends doing it now, waiting for their passports to come back. I was at the Thai embassy myself last month and there were half a dozen agents with stacks of passports.  Good luck

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kkpat said:

Yes agents are still doing single entry visas. I have friends doing it now, waiting for their passports to come back. I was at the Thai embassy myself last month and there were half a dozen agents with stacks of passports.  Good luck

First hand confirmation, that's what I wanted! Thanks.