Most Thais support alcohol sales ban on Buddhist holidays

rooster59

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, transam said:

So you believe Polls....laugh.gif.96854decc9fdc3bb90d425f58301a53a.gif....You believe local Buddhist folk would vote against Buddhist stuff...laugh.gif.96854decc9fdc3bb90d425f58301a53a.gif

If ma & pa shops are Buddhist folk surely they would follow the rules over making a few quid...?.......

If Buddhist folk would surely obey the rules then they would never drink alcohol on any day.

8 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

It's a stupid law in your opinion as a Westerner used to different societal norms but it's not a stupid law in the eyes of the Thais and, last I checked, this is their country so their rules apply.

I don't personally know any Thais that think it's a sensible law or serves any purpose. Indeed, Thai Ron, I am used to different social norms as I've been an "expat" since I was six years old due the nature of my parents' work and I feel at liberty to deem something to be illogical and backward and voice that opinion at will.  Last time I checked freedom of speech was banned in Thailand but I still feel comfortable expressing an opinion on this particular issue. If you have a problem with that, so be it, we agree to disagree. 

15 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

I don't personally know any Thais that think it's a sensible law or serves any purpose. Indeed, Thai Ron, I am used to different social norms as I've been an "expat" since I was six years old due the nature of my parents' work and I feel at liberty to deem something to be illogical and backward and voice that opinion at will.  Last time I checked freedom of speech was banned in Thailand but I still feel comfortable expressing an opinion on this particular issue. If you have a problem with that, so be it, we agree to disagree. 

So because you don't personally know any Thais who think it's a sensible law, that makes your point of view a "lock" does it?

I don't know any Thais who think it's sensible and I don't know any Thais who think it's daft but I'm sure that if I wanted to waste a minute or two of this life by soliciting their opinion on this law, they'd ask the equivalent of "Who gives a toss?"

If they want to buy a drink on a buddha holiday, they know where to get one.

You're looking for logic and reason in a country where those things are fluid to put it mildly.

If as you say, you've been an "expat" since you were six, shouldn't you have shed the rigidity by now?

Nobody gives a shit what farangs think in Thailand and so it should be.

2 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

So because you don't personally know any Thais who think it's a sensible law, that makes your point of view a "lock" does it?

I don't know any Thais who think it's sensible and I don't know any Thais who think it's daft but I'm sure that if I wanted to waste a minute or two of this life by soliciting their opinion on this law, they'd ask the equivalent of "Who gives a toss?"

You're looking for logic and reason in a country where those things are fluid to put it mildly.

If as you say, you've been an "expat" since you were six, shouldn't you have shed the rigidity by now?

You do.....:stoner:

1 hour ago, Thai Ron said:

"Nobody gives a shit what farangs think in Thailand and so it should be"

Perhaps if you are a racist, personally I am not and I think people should care what all citizens and residents think in a country.