Trip to Nan

Spaniel

On 2 Jan wife and I will be driving from Bangkok to Nan arriving at Nan city on the 3rd.     We will stay in Nan city a couple of days then we will drive to Bo klua and  have a 2 day stay at the Boklua View Resort which is on route 1081.    From there I'm think of heading north on 1081 and kind of make a loop around to route 1080 and on to Pua.      My question is has any  one recently traveled north on 1081 to 1080, and if so how is the road and anything particularly interesting to see?

I've driven all those roads in the past year, and the roads are generally very good.  Obviously there are some rough patches here and there, but nothing worth worrying about.

From Bo Kluea, you take the 1256 across to Pua.  That whole loop around the 1081/1256 is gorgeous.  Some great views along the way, and in November last year almost no traffic at all.  We plan to do it again later this month.

Between Nan and Phrae, be sure to stop off for an hour at Pha Nang Khoi Cave (search that on Google Maps) - a delightful (and when we were there a couple of years ago, completely deserted) temple cave, with lights and no entry fee, no office.  Lovely spot.  

And, closer to Phrae, also off the main road, is Pae Muang Pee Forest Park (search Google Maps).  A fantastic area of eroded rock formations that is very photogenic under blue skies (best to go early morning or late afternoon)

Have a great trip -- you'll love it!

great roads and nan is nice.  If u wish head a bit further north and  go see the sunrise at Phu Chi Fa, ( off of 1093) Fantastic!! and well worth it.There bungalows up near the top and than its a 5 minute drive and a 10 minute walk in the dark. head to the helicopter pad for sunset. Gets VERY busy on weekends

Not exactly your route, but we recently had a driving holiday of BKK - Khaikor - Uttradit - Phrae - Nan - Chiangrai - Sukhothai - BKK. Both Phrae and Nan were very nice places to visit; in Phrae we stayed at Huern Na Na Hotel and in Nan we stayed at Wiang Kaew Hotel, both i'd recommend. The road from  Phrae to Nan was nice enough (i didn't think it that special) but the first 90 minutes out of Nan on the 1091 to Chiangrai was a really  beautiful drive. In Nan look out for the little tourist tour bus (easy to spot) as its cheap, gets you round all the sites and you'll understand the layout of Nan quickly. In Nan check out this great restaurant on the river (5 minutes drive from the hotel) http://www.hueanchaonang.com/

You do realise it is about a 9hr / 700 km drive from BKK to Nan; a lot to do in one day.

On 12/5/2017 at 9:08 AM, phuketrichard said:

great roads and nan is nice.  If u wish head a bit further north and  go see the sunrise at Phu Chi Fa, ( off of 1093) Fantastic!! and well worth it.There bungalows up near the top and than its a 5 minute drive and a 10 minute walk in the dark. head to the helicopter pad for sunset. Gets VERY busy on weekends

Phu Chi Fa looks like it is off route 1155 in Chiang Rai.     We will be staying at the Boklua View Resort in Nan on 5 and 6 Jan then nothing planned for the 7th and 8 before returning to Nan for two days.     Maybe we will drive to Phu Chi Fa  on the 7th.

On 12/5/2017 at 4:07 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

Not exactly your route, but we recently had a driving holiday of BKK - Khaikor - Uttradit - Phrae - Nan - Chiangrai - Sukhothai - BKK. Both Phrae and Nan were very nice places to visit; in Phrae we stayed at Huern Na Na Hotel and in Nan we stayed at Wiang Kaew Hotel, both i'd recommend. The road from  Phrae to Nan was nice enough (i didn't think it that special) but the first 90 minutes out of Nan on the 1091 to Chiangrai was a really  beautiful drive. In Nan look out for the little tourist tour bus (easy to spot) as its cheap, gets you round all the sites and you'll understand the layout of Nan quickly. In Nan check out this great restaurant on the river (5 minutes drive from the hotel) http://www.hueanchaonang.com/

You do realise it is about a 9hr / 700 km drive from BKK to Nan; a lot to do in one day.

We dont plan to make the drive to Nan in one day.    Will probably spend the night in Phitsanulok or Uttaradit, depending on what time we leave Bangkok.

On Tuesday, December 05, 2017 at 9:08 AM, phuketrichard said:

Went there a few years ago and it is fantastic but the  wife said that she would never go again as it was to cold. Yes it was very cold  so take care, there was ice on the barbed wire.

On 12/10/2017 at 6:59 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

We found the Seeharaj hotel in uttradit to be great value and a good stay. Almost directly across the street the XL Burger restaurant was a good find. - their monster burgers were very good but too big for us.

Yes, looks ok.     Do you happen to have their phone number?

5 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

+66 55 832 790

Just book it on booking.com or one of its competitors.

Thanks for the number.      Yes, I'll book it on Agoda.      I like to have the phone number just in case we need to give them a call for some reason or another.