Prawit's bling could tarnish entire govt's credibility

webfact

By Political Desk 
The Nation

0f74e5fb974130eb33aea274d11f532c.jpeg

There is no doubt that Deputy Prime Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan has been Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha's Achilles' heel since the junta took control of the country more than three years ago.

From his expensive trip to Hawai to attend an informal meeting of Asean defence ministers in October last year to the latest controversial incident regarding his possession of what appears to be a multimillion-baht watch and diamond ring, Prawit has often been in the public spotlight.

Prawit, who is also defence minister, got away with the former incident as the Office of the Auditor-General found no irregularities in the Bt21-million trip, but observers believe that he may be vulnerable, and indeed his political survival may be at stake, given his apparent penchant for expensive jewellery.

The National Anti Corruption Commission (NACC) last week gave Prawit 30 days to explain how he had obtained a flamboyant Richard Mille wristwatch and diamond ring after the luxury items raised widespread suspicion about the general’s “unusual wealth”.

Prawit has yet submit a letter of explanation to the NACC, but there are three possible ways for Prawit to explain the issue.

First, the items belong to him but he acquired them after declaring his assets to NACC in 2014 when he took office. However, he would still face serious scrutiny over how much they cost and whose money had bought the watch and the ring, which by some estimates would have cost about Bt10 million.

The question has to be asked: Is it reasonable that Prawit, who declared a total of Bt87 million in assets to the NACC, bought the jewellery?

Second, reports this week have speculated that Prawit would tell the NACC that the ring belongs to his mom and the watch to a friend.

In a legal technical sense, he could get away with such an explanation, but the most important thing will be if society at large believes him. In Thai culture, the slick hero “Sri Tanonchai” is a fixture in a series of Thai humorous stories depicting him as the prototypical clever trickster – can Prawit pull off a similar role in the eyes of the public? Is there anybody, in the entire world, who would lend someone else a watch of such value?

The origin of the ring could be as complicated for Prawit. The deputy prime minister has told the media that the ring was “old”. The question is, how old is it? Did he own it before declaring his assets in 2014 or acquire it after? If before, why didn't he declare it. If “old” is not older than three years, and Prawit acquired the ring in the interim, he will be questioned about where he obtained the money for its purchase.

The third possibility would be the safest, with Prawit claiming he obtained both items after 2014.

In this scenario, the ring could be explained as a family inheritance that he simply had not declared as of yet.

But for the watch, if he bought it after 2014, he will be questioned about the source of the money – and whether he really did buy it. It should not be difficult to trace the purchase back to the shop where it was bought. If it turns out that he was given it as a gift, that in itself could land him in trouble for violating the anti-graft law.

According to Article 103 of the NACC Act, civil servants and political office holders are not allowed to receive money or benefits aside from those that are permitted by law or worth Bt3,000 or less.

Regardless of what explanation Prawit chooses, there will inevitably be one more question: Will he be able to convince the NACC?

Vilas Chanpitak, a Democrat Party member with a record for busting graft, has suggested that the NACC itself should be dissolved if the agency believes the explanation.

This could be a significant test for the anti-graft agency and whether members of the public can really place their faith in it to cleanse society of corruption.

Prayut, who has not expressed any concerns about his senior aide and has said the entire issue is an attempt to divide him and Prawit, would be mistaken to underestimate the power of society regarding the issue.

When the powers-that-be flaunt their lavish lifestyles, it cannot be avoided that members of the public will speculate about the origins of such “unusual wealth”, particularly within a regime that has made the fight against corruption a cornerstone of its legitimacy. Amid the economic downturn, how will people tolerate the political elites' displays of such exorbitant wealth while they are still suffering from bread-and-butter issues?

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30333908

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-14

So Thai men like to wear expensive watches big deal why shouldn't they wear them just like women want to wear expensive jewellery i don't use watches myself but thats just me and who cares about that , get over it there are more important things in this country to be concerned about .

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Those credibility were tarnished long ago when P's unusual wealth could not be explained, alleged Park corruption swept aside and Preechai's son lofty military contracts were ignored. 

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

So Thai men like to wear expensive watches big deal why shouldn't they wear them just like women want to wear expensive jewellery i don't use watches myself but thats just me and who cares about that , get over it there are more important things in this country to be concerned about .

It is not about the watch itself though, is it. It is about unusual wealth. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Regardless of what explanation Prawit chooses, there will inevitably be one more question: Will he be able to convince the NACC?

The NACC's role is to comply with the junta and give the government a pseudo-legitimate appearance. They complied with Rajabhakti Park, they complied with the Hawaii trip and they will comply with the bling-thing. Compliance does not require integrity.

Note this important sentence.

According to Article 103 of the NACC Act, civil servants and political office holders are not allowed to receive money or benefits aside from those that are permitted by law or worth Bt3,000 or less

You should never being dropping more than 3,000 Baht to oil the cogs. 

Otherwise it would be illegal.:post-4641-1156693976:

We certainly don't want to place the servants and office holders in a predicament. do we? :smile:

The watch could be a fake "knock off" from MBK or alike.. But would probably still hit the max Bht3000 for declaring. Although decent Rolex copy, from Taiwan, still sell for about Bht3000, or US $20K for genuine original.. 

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

Think you've missed the point. One possibility implied in the article is corruption and how would that reflect on PM.

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

The issue is not whether Thai men should wear expensive watches and/or jewellery.  The issue here is, if the items in question were as valuable as believed, why were they not declared if in his possession in 2008.  If acquired after his 2008 asset declaration,  he simply has to explain how he came into possession of them and, if purchased, how he paid for them, backed up by appropriate documentation. 

Further investigation should of course be made to explain how his wealth increased by some 30 million bahts since 2008, bearing in mind that his income was supposedly only his official salary since he apparently had no business interests. 

Of course, he may be able to show that he was so successful in his financial/investment  transactions that he should have been transferred to the Finance Department long ago, with the country benefiting from his obvious expertise.

7 hours ago, keith101 said:

i think you missed the point completely !!!!

59 minutes ago, joebrown said:

If the media speculation damages the integrity/reputation of the 'government', there could well be a Defamation Charge in the offing.

Certainly a valid point not to be overlooked :sad:

Any diamond of that value and size surely would have been GIA certified and should have a laser inscription on the ring. I'm sure there has to be some way to track it, at least see when it was certified if he claims it was his 'mothers'. 

If he goes the fake road, will the watch maker have a case to go after a Government official promoting fake products?

Benny probably has a few more at home. Some one with a fetish for good watches doesn't stop at 2. I can't see him saying they are fake as he want you to know he is rich and powerful.

8 hours ago, keith101 said:

Stupid statement. This is far more than liking to wear expensive jewellery. It.s about how the hell did a career officer who could not even is his wildest dreams afford such luxuries except from accepting considerable and illegal underhand payments. What else is undeclared? Overseas bank accountants, partnerships or similar in companies that have somehow won expensive govt. contracts etc., etc.

8 minutes ago, tigermoth said:

Stupid statement. This is far more than liking to wear expensive jewellery. It.s about how the hell did a career officer who could not even is his wildest dreams afford such luxuries except from accepting considerable and illegal underhand payments. What else is undeclared? Overseas bank accountants, partnerships or similar in companies that have somehow won expensive govt. contracts etc., etc.

Yes the should investigate how he got all this money, and they should do that for far more people. It seems like everyone in the army / police and politics is rich and gets richer. One should accept that as a public servant you can be under investigation. I would like to see a full investigation but i doubt it because whoever is in power always protects their own. 

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Prayut, who has not expressed any concerns about his senior aide and has said the entire issue is an attempt to divide him and Prawit, would be mistaken to underestimate the power of society regarding the issue.

Prayut, of all men, should know how this works.

When the previous government took office he committed treason together with Suthep to overthrow the elected government. All he needed was a spark to light up the powder keg so he could march in and "save the day". That day came when the amnesty bill of Taksin became subject and people blocked roads to protest.

There are enough people waiting on the sidelines who see the trough and and richness it brings, and they only need that spark to make the powder keg explode again so they can kick out the generals. Maybe Prayut doesn't see it, but this could well be that little spark that will topple his government.

might be more meat to this than first thoughts would suggest;

i recall my thinking thai friends, at the time of thaksin's demise, told me that he had violated an old chinese saying; something close to :  "if you are going to feed at the trough, at least wipe your mouth";