Get Ready: 400,000 Chinese tourists to descend on Thailand over New Year holidays

webfact

Get Ready: 400,000 Chinese tourists to descend on Thailand over New Year holidays

By Coconuts Bangkok

cc.jpg

Thailand should remain a top destination for Chinese tourists traveling abroad over the Chinese New Year holidays next month.

The Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA) has placed the number of expected arrivals at over 400,000 — and they should spend about THB20 billion while they’re here, reported Bangkok Post.

The actual New Year’s Day is Feb. 16 but Chinese public holidays last for seven days. The expected arrival number reflects a 10 percent increase over last year.

Full story:  https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/get-ready-400000-chinese-tourists-descend-thailand-new-year-holidays/

1 hour ago, Lingba said:

and they will spend 20 billion baht???.,,,the Chinese spend???,,,,,yeah right!

The figure is based on data for Chinese tourists over the last year.

About 50,000 per person.

How they collected the data is not something I am aware of...

they seldom go to the bars/nightlife which is very ok with me. good time for hotels to make some money. it is all ok with me. I just have to remind myself not to drive in highly Chinese tourist areas like west Chiang Mai near the Maya Mall area.  they walk in the streets and they drive bikes/motorbikes very dangerously. I suggest to be ready for dangerous drivers and try not to hit one.

49 minutes ago, ebean001 said:

they seldom go to the bars/nightlife which is very ok with me. good time for hotels to make some money. it is all ok with me. I just have to remind myself not to drive in highly Chinese tourist areas like west Chiang Mai near the Maya Mall area.  they walk in the streets and they drive bikes/motorbikes very dangerously. I suggest to be ready for dangerous drivers and try not to hit one.

You think the hotels will get a good price for their services?

Edited by hansnl

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The actual New Year’s Day is Feb. 16 but Chinese public holidays last for seven days.

This is the message I receive from Chinese suppliers, looks a bit longer than 7 days to me.

The Chinese New Year holiday is coming soon,our workers will be on vacation from ♥2nd Feb to 25th Feb♥.
Our office will be closed during ♥10th-24th Feb♥.

Where did all the High Quality Tourists go ???

Shops at MBK and Siam Square are having the lowest revenue in years. I went to MBK myself yesterday afternoon, it was almost empty. I saw a handful of western foreigners. One of my wife's customers told me that many shops won't be able to pay the next months rent as the revenue is 35-40% of last year what was the worst year in the MBK history. They're not waiting for Chinese tourists as they won't buy a thing.

One of my wife's Siam Square customers said that this year they are having about 3 western foreigners in their shop per week spending almost nothing while the years before they had at least 20 western foreigners per day spending real good on luxury purchases. Chinese tourists are not even welcome as they are too loud, making a mess and won't spend a Baht as they can buy replicas in China for less than 1% of the price what originals costs.

18 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

The figure is based on data for Chinese tourists over the last year.

About 50,000 per person.

How they collected the data is not something I am aware of...

This figure seems very high (assume it excludes flights)..wonder how long the average trip was. Wonder how much of that spending ends up in local hands.

I am driving from BKK to Chantiburi and then on to Koh Chang, Koh Kurd, Koh Samet, Pattaya and back to BKk. Did not think about Chinese New Year. Anyone  know what I should expect to see regarding Chinese tourists in these areas? Thank you. 

6 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

I see Chinese New Year is the 16th ,  but when is it celebrated in BKK , 

and when do the Chinese start taking off work ,  the week before the 16th or ?????

Here you go

Feb 15 Thursday Spring Festival Eve National holiday
Feb 16 Friday Chinese New Year National holiday
Feb 17 Saturday Spring Festival Golden Week holiday National holiday
Feb 18 Sunday Spring Festival Golden Week holiday Common Local holidays
Feb 19 Monday Spring Festival Golden Week holiday Common Local holidays
Feb 20 Tuesday Spring Festival Golden Week holiday Common Local holidays
Feb 21 Wednesday Spring Festival Golden Week holiday

5 hours ago, hansnl said:

You think the hotels will get a good price for their services?

We are.  Our Phuket property is fully booked with about 90% independent Chinese travelers.  And paying within 15% of published rates.  Folks beat up on the Chinese tourists, but the independent ones are great guests for us.   Quiet, clean, friendly.