Overstay with a twistok

13 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

I know nothing about this specific problem,

But my daughter who is a dual national- Japanese and American, often leaves Japan using her Japanese passport, and enters the US with her US passport, all on the same trip. And then switches the routine coming back. 

No one had ever looked for stamps, to see where she has been. Neither Japanese or US authorities. 

But if they did then it would show her arriving but never leaving, and visa versa, that could create quite a hold up somewhere, and for what purpose exactly?

4 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

I wasn't aware it was possible for a child to enter on one of their dual passports, whenever I have entered with my dual national son they always scan both his passports.

Where is that at.

Certainly not Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Where is that at.

Certainly not Thailand. 

Certainly was entering Thailand, also exiting the UK, as soon as they saw he was a dual they wanted to see both, they asked which he was travelling on for visa purposes but both got scanned and logged.

When you enter the US sometimes, there can be a VERY long line for "foreigners" and a very short line for US citizens.

Also, often a lot less hassle in regard to them searching your luggage etc. On both side.

I lived in Japan for about 30 years, and I spoke decent Japanese. I am only a US citizen.

On many different occasions the customs officials would give a minor or major hassle to one or two foreigners in front of me. When I walked up I always made a bit of small talk in Japanese, and I can only remember my luggage being checked one time, immediately after a bomb scare. 

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That sounds like the airline not immigration.

You can not enter and leave a country using 2 passports.

Or maybe not realizing the Immigration wanted to see both but also asked "which one he was travelling on fo visa purposes " [ quote ] . And just scanned one behind the counter, you're unable to see that 

31 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

I know nothing about this specific problem,

But my daughter who is a dual national- Japanese and American, often leaves Japan using her Japanese passport, and enters the US with her US passport, all on the same trip. And then switches the routine coming back. 

No one had ever looked for stamps, to see where she has been. Neither Japanese or US authorities. 

yea great........but is her passport at either end expired????????? This is the problem..........he has not valid Thai passport

Hi all thanks very much for your ideas, I have spoken to the lad today, and he knows he has to speak to Immigration, which he has gone to do today........and will face what ever happens, all the thoughts given here is what I talked about with him the other day......

Please can we close the post .......Thanks again to all 

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That sounds like the airline not immigration.

You can not enter and leave a country using 2 passports.

As I said, they asked which he was travelling on, thus he did not leave and enter on both, but both were scanned, as in put into the chip reader and so they were both logged and when I gave just one they asked for the other when we arrived, so that log must have come through to the other side or they wouldn't have known he had two.

6 hours ago, Dave8237 said:

we have a local immigration office in Amanant Chareon

I suggest you ask at the Amnat Chareon office. They should be able to tell you how to fix the problem. You won't get a definitive answer here.

I don't see why he couldn't use the British passport to leave. The lack of entry in that passport will need explaining, but that's easily evidenced with the entry in the Thai passport. Maybe your local office will be able to help with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, charliebadenhop said:

I understand what you are saying Matt,

And to be sure we are on the same page- I am fairly certain that neither government knows she is holding dual citizenship, or one or both countries would try and make her renounce the "other" citizenship.

When she enters the US on her US passport, I have been assuming that the US side cannot see that she just left Japan on her Japanese passport.

And then- 

Can't the boy go to Cambodia using his Thai ID card and then fly out of Cambodia as a Brit?

??

The US alows dual nationals and some have more than 2 nationalities . Thailand no longer forbids dual nationality as well . There are many Thai besides the Shins who have dual citzenship , they are not required to give up ones citizenship

15 minutes ago, Tony125 said:
  2 hours ago, charliebadenhop said:

I understand what you are saying Matt,

And to be sure we are on the same page- I am fairly certain that neither government knows she is holding dual citizenship, or one or both countries would try and make her renounce the "other" citizenship.

When she enters the US on her US passport, I have been assuming that the US side cannot see that she just left Japan on her Japanese passport.

And then- 

Can't the boy go to Cambodia using his Thai ID card and then fly out of Cambodia as a Brit?

NO. Thais can enter Cambodia on their Thai ID but can not travel any further than the province they entered for Cambodia.  With only  a single exception I'm aware  can not to stay overnight. Their Thai ID card is turned over to Thai Immigration at the crossing and Thai Immigration gives them a number card to pick it up when returning. elviajero in post 40 has given the best advice for the OP.

On 22/01/2018 at 11:29 AM, jackdd said:

Yes of course, officially this is not possible, but officially it shouldn't have been possible to enter Thailand with an expired passport for him in the first place.

If he lives near the border anyway he could just give it a try... first i would try to leave with the expired passport, maybe they allow it. If they refuse this, leave Thailand with a border pass, and try to enter Laos with the British passport. If they refuse this, enter Laos with the border pass. Then try to leave Laos with the British passport. Always talk nice, explain the situation, offer a tip, maybe at one point they will allow to use a passport ;)

If this all fails, he obviously has to somehow get a new passport.

"offer a tip" ???.. A "BRIBE" you mean ?!?!

9 hours ago, Dave8237 said:

His problem with his parents consent , has not seen his father in year and no idea where he is in the UK, and  has had a big bust up with his mother, and they are not speaking, she is in the UK.

One good thing, if anything he has a current valid Thai ID card..........Boarder cross into Laos, here in Mukdahan, on the id card and re enter on British Passport, but that would show up on Laos and Thai immigration that he has used two different forms of ID to leave and re enter, and has a possibilty of complicating the problem........

Just tell him to make up with mom and to get over it, sure she is over bearing and all those things a Thai mom can be but he is in a bit of the sh-t here

3 hours ago, German farang said:

Just a thought:  how about to go to Lao with a borderpass, visit the thai embassy in vientiane to get a thai visa?

On his way back, Thailand is going to want to see a Laos exit-stamp in the British passport he wants to use to enter Thailand (with or without a Thai Visa - Brits could also enter Visa-Exempt), but to get that Laos exit-stamp, Laos is going to want to see a Lao entry-stamp in that Brit passport.  Still a Catch-22.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cat handler said:

I don’t get it, why would he need anyone’s permission to RENEW a passport, sure he may need permission to get one but he already has one, he is simply renewing it. 

Because under Thai law he remains a minor until aged 20, same as a British child could not renew their passport without their parents permission under the age of 16.

He came with an expired passport. He could have gotten a new Thai passport  in the UK. Than traveled to thailand. Whats the rush to get here? Plan plan plan. Think think think. But he knows everything at his age. That is why he has a problem with his mother. Let this smart Lad work It out for himself. Could be a good life lesson he can learn. Not my monkeys not my circus. 

If he leaves Thailand using his ID card then he will get a "day pass". This day pass allows entry into Laos/Cambodia. But there is a bit of nowhere's land in between immigration offices of the countries.

Would this sequence not work:

1) Use Thai ID card to go out Thailand and get a day pass

2) Use British passport to get into Laos (Entry stamp)

3) Use British passport to go out of Laos (Exit stamp)

4) Use British passport to get into Thailand (Arrival card and entry stamp)

5) pickup Thai ID card

16 minutes ago, Khun Jean said:

2) Use British passport to get into Laos (Entry stamp)

3) Use British passport to go out of Laos (Exit stamp)

4) Use British passport to get into Thailand (Arrival card and entry stamp)

As said before that will not work since Lao immigration will be looking for a Thai departure stamp in the passport.

20 minutes ago, Khun Jean said:

5) pickup Thai ID card

For a border pass to Laos it has be applied for before leaving the country and a fee paid. They don't keep the ID card.