Lottery fever grips Thais as buffalo gives birth to stillborn calf weighing 900 grams

webfact

Lottery fever grips Thais as buffalo gives birth to stillborn calf weighing 900 grams

3am.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Lottery hopefuls rushed to Ang Thong's "Cowboy Farm" yesterday after a 5 year old buffalo called Thong Kwai gave birth to a stillborn calf.

It was deemed especially auspicious because it weighed exactly 900 grams.

When reporters arrived joss-sticks were being lit and there was a constant stream of people praying and taking pictures with mobile phones to ascertain the all important winning numbers in the next lottery.

Someone had placed 9 x 100 baht notes and a 20 baht note for luck around the foetus.

Chawalit the owner of the mother said this was her first pregnancy. The fact that the foetus was delivered at 19.29 was probably significant.

Vet Wisut - or Mor Dam (Dr Black) - said that this was the darnedest thing he had seen in 15 years of buffalo midwifery.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-31

My wife - a school teacher - showed me her amulet collection last week. Saying one was a special one from her home town of Nan and that when you wore it, no bullet could harm you. 

If the educated think like this, no wonder the farmers find luck in a dead cow !

Edited by RichardColeman

10 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

When the wife's grandmother was cremated, the remaining ashes and bits of bone gave my wife the winning lottery numbers.

I refused do give her money for the village lottery, 7 years later I am still reminded about it.

No chance of putting that mistake behind you and moving on I am afraid

2 hours ago, mok199 said:

thais ,a very superstitous lot they are...

Couldn't agree with you more.

Westerners are so much more enlightened and worldly that we only worry if we break a mirror, see a black cat cross our path, walk under a ladder, hate Friday the 13th, spill the salt and then of course the good things like splitting a chicken's wishbone, blowing out all the candles on a birthday cake, carrying a rabbit's foot, finding a four leaf clover, reading the starsigns in the newspaper, and believing a cat has nine lives and on and on.............

Yes, the Thais sure are a weird bunch aren't they?

45 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Westerners are so much more enlightened and worldly that we only worry if we break a mirror, see a black cat cross our path, walk under a ladder, hate Friday the 13th, spill the salt and then of course the good things like splitting a chicken's wishbone, blowing out all the candles on a birthday cake, carrying a rabbit's foot, finding a four leaf clover, reading the starsigns in the newspaper, and believing a cat has nine lives and on and on.............

You worry about too much. Get some proper western education.

47 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

But these are understood as 'old wives tales' Nowadays very few actually believe in them maybe with the exception of walking under a ladder which is common sense. Probably the younger generation have not even heard of them.

As  you obviously do believe I suggest you get yourself up to Ang Thong smartish.

I wonder why the junta delays 'elections' here. With a little mumbo jumbo (e.g. a two headed toad born at a military facility) will easily be taken as evidence by these brainless folks that the 'junta democracy' is the only legitimate savior of this country.

4 hours ago, leeneeds said:

IF  A belief makes you happy and optimistic,

that has to be a good thing

, whether you understand or not  

Oh yes I think I have a handle on this

The secret is to know when to ease up, especially where money is concerned

On 1/31/2018 at 9:35 AM, ratcatcher said:

Yeah...ahm...all of the above are merely folklore and you know it!

No one rushes to the nearest "temple", if they do not blow out the birthday- candles in one blow!

"Our" "superstition" is merely an entertaining footnote and does not influence our lives.

As opposed to beating a woman half to death, because she is deemed a witch and other BS of the highest order in this lovely country!

But there always has to be one, who find every totally backwards behavior super adorable and has to defend it!   

On 1/31/2018 at 2:35 AM, ratcatcher said:

they are a little bit. i visited a mate a few days ago and was closest to his lift buttons on the way up to his condo. i asked an old thai fella who got in the lift at the same time what floor. 13. 12a on the buttons and 13 on the digital display. so cute 555. utter nonesense. but hey, i don't walk under ladders so who am i to judge