Prayut urges countries to 'respect Thailand' over lawbreakers 

webfact

2 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Yet again, the man is so far out of his depth it is untrue. 

No democratic country will send anyone back to an illegally controlled Military Junta. 

As recent photos from China demonstrate, even undemocratic countries do not want to soil their hands by co-operating with it.

• Like 2

The "respect" spoken of is a two way street, not just "I want what I want".

The criminals previously extradited were actual criminals, under Thai law as well.

The Shins are obviously political fugitives. You cannot "convict" someone, in absentia, in a special court for political "criminals" and then claim it is not political.

The treaty governing extradition between Thailand and the UK particularly prohibits cases where conviction takes place in absentia. Also Interpol has their own bylaws which prohibit issuance of a Red  Notice on say so.

Please do not respond with relatively recent statutes in Thai law. They do not affect international treaties. They are in effect only in Thailand.

Edited by Bill Miller
  • Like 1

This man expects respect, yet he has done nothing in his time in office, to earn respect from either the Thai people, or the world. Nothing. No real fight against corruption, no support for human rights, as he frequently claims, no eradication of slavery, no progress toward elections, even though the very reason he gave for clinging desperately to power two years ago, has passed. He is the very definition of a desperado, and has never done anything to benefit the Thai people. They are always the last thing on his mind.

If there is one thing that is certain, it is that the little man has done less than most, when it comes to the eradication of slavery, human trafficking, and the protection of human rights. These things mean nothing to him, and his cronies. Nothing. Less than zero. Nothing has changed. And that is how he wants it. When he speaks, one can rest assured that there is absolutely nothing behind his hollow words. He is not a man of action. Only a small man of rhetoric. 

His personal motto may as well be - I Little P. (give me the money Prayuth) promise to move Thailand backwards at a breath taking and alarming pace, and never, ever do anything to benefit the Thai people. I will continue to do everything I can to protect the elite, the super wealthy, the connected, and those in office, either in the police, my administration, or the army. The little man simply does not exist, in my consciousness. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

How can he stand up and urge countries to Respect Thailand, when the country is being run by people who broke the law to gain power.

As opposed to people who thought gaining power was an invitation to break the laws! 

The political and justice systems, aren't I'd gently suggest, the most widely respected ones on the planet by other countries!

Unfortunately, little inconveniences like that seem to be conveniently ignored by all the political factions here who like to pretend they've got international influence and importance. 

But they aren't really interested in what foreigners think. All just bluster for the home market consumption.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Miller said:

The "respect" spoken of is a two way street, not just "I want what I want".

The criminals previously extradited were actual criminals, under Thai law as well.

The Shins are obviously political fugitives. You cannot "convict" someone, in absentia, in a special court for political "criminals" and then claim it is not political.

The treaty governing extradition between Thailand and the UK particularly prohibits cases where conviction takes place in absentia. Also Interpol has their own bylaws which prohibit issuance of a Red  Notice on say so.

Please do not respond with relatively recent statutes in Thai law. They do not affect international treaties. They are in effect only in Thailand.

You should read more about the use of "convictions in absentia" and it's growing use. 

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

You should read more about the use of "convictions in absentia" and it's growing use. 

Are you saying that the UK ignores treaties now in order to satisfy the whims of a military junta?

Why do I ask, because that is exactly what you said.

Glad you are such an expert in international law.

• Thanks 1

1) didn't he just say, he is not obsessed with the two?

2) maybe try to take care of justice INSIDE your own country!

I recall a certain pair of Burmese, who are rotting in a jail for crime they did not commit and the almighty PM shouting from all towers, that "no Thai could ever do such a thing", hence obstructing justice!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

If there is one thing that is certain, it is that the little man has done less than most, when it comes to the eradication of slavery, human trafficking, and the protection of human rights.

Add to that drug trafficking and my answer will be:

They are not going to endanger their own business, are they? :sick:

Posts in violation of the following have been removed:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

You also agree not to post negative comments criticizing the legal proceedings or judgments of any Thai court of law.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

• 4 months later...