Police charge Saraburi man following tip about bear carcass

webfact

Police charge Saraburi man following tip about bear carcass

By The Nation

94ed3b46f192f2c1ac9a29cf091ecfc5.jpeg

The hunting of wildlife continued to focus the nation’s attention as Nakhon Ratchasima police on Saturday arrested a 32-year-old Saraburi man and seize the carcass of an Asian black bear in a plantation in Tambon Moo See, Pak Chong district.

Police were acting on a tip-off that the bear had been transported for slaughter on Friday night in a pickup truck to the plantation in Ban Por Hu. 

66046df2e558124b90bec54ae12560a1.jpeg

As the officers went to inspect the plantation in the morning, they found suspect Apiwat Nilsonthi butchering the wild animal in order to weigh the meat to sell at Bt400-Bt500 per kilogram. They also found some already-fried bear meat at the scene.

Apiwat told police that he and two friends had gone on Friday night to view a bear stuck in a trap in a cornfield four kilometres from the Khao Yai National Park.

d9f68f6b123e505722e46e0a308cbb7d.jpeg

He claimed that the bear had been stuck in the trap for days and had already died of starvation. Finding the meat was still soft, he said they loaded the bear, which had not been claimed by anyone, onto the truck to be butchered with the meat shared among themselves and some sold. 

Police initially charged Apiwat with hunting wildlife without permission and illegal possession of a wildlife carcass. Police were seeking his two friends to lay the same charges against them.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30339143

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-19
  • Like 1

Now let me guess: Since the Thai legal system allegedly does not employ double standards, can we safely assume that Apiwat immediately received bail covering four consecutive 12-day detention periods because otherwise it "could place an unnecessary burden" on him? After all, that's the procedure that the Thong Pha Phum court reportedly followed in the Premchai Karnasuta case, explaining it was perfectly normal to do exactly that:

But you know what? My hunch is that Apiwat is currently sitting in a jail cell in Saraburi, because he's not a super-rich and influential construction tycoon and, thus,  is  not eligible to be subject to the "standard procedure".   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

thats because they all have been eaten by blokes like the arrested guy. they are in asia i know . but rare.

Did he only eat it's meat or also keep the skin and all to sell as a conserved animal with a minibar in it's belly?

Well he really might have found it being dead in a trap, who knows?, but maybe he put that there himself? 

5 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Now let me guess: Since the Thai legal system allegedly does not employ double standards, can we safely assume that Apiwat immediately received bail covering four consecutive 12-day detention periods because otherwise it "could place an unnecessary burden" on him? After all, that's the procedure that the Thong Pha Phum court reportedly followed in the Premchai Karnasuta case, explaining it was perfectly normal to do exactly that:

But you know what? My hunch is that Apiwat is currently sitting in a jail cell in Saraburi, because he's not a super-rich and influential construction tycoon and, thus,  is  not eligible to be subject to the "standard procedure".   

Misterwhisper, you beat me to it. I read the article and thought the exact same thing.

Well done for including the link to the article quoting Suriyan Hongwilai, Court of Justice spokesman pictured saying,  "No double standards."

5 hours ago, djayz said:

The things some people will eat...

Farangs and Thais eat heart, liver, kidney, lungs, intestines, and blood and that's really offal. 

Also tongue and tail and everything in between.

farangs and Thais eat heart, liver, kidneys, lungs, intestines

7 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Farangs and Thais eat heart, liver, kidney, lungs, intestines, and blood and that's really offal. 

Also tongue and tail and everything in between.

I most certainly don't eat heart, lungs, intestines, tongue, tail and very little in between. If it ain't proper meat, it wasn't meant to be consumed by humans.