Noonish today going north making a right turn off Boukaw onto a small soi,

a car came barging out into B and hit my right side

knocking Nouvo over left and papa scrambling,

bouncing off a moving van with both hands

but not actually falling.

Slightly different timing

and would have gone down in front of van

and squish.

I'm aimagine you were signaling and turned across the front of the car as you would in the west assuming you have the right of way turning off a bigger road? Thai's may have gone inside and behind the car so maybe that is what the driver thought you would do.  When In Rome...? 

Edited by VocalNeal

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I'm aimagine you were signaling and turned across the front of the car as you would in the west assuming you have the right of way turning off a bigger road? Thai's may have gone inside and behind the car so maybe that is what the driver thought you would do.  When In Rome...? 

Yup, A Thai motorcyclist will almost inevitably swing into the side road putting the emerging vehicle to their left, leaving the road clear for that vehicle.

That's no doubt what the car driver expected OP to do.

Not saying you're wrong OP, but like VocalNeal said: 'When in Rome'. I've had to change my riding and driving habits to suit, often going against my own instincts.

Glad to read that you got away with only a minor bump.

The emerging car was hard left already.

It's a very narrow soi.

She struck me with the right side of her front bumper.

If on ceeber, prolly woulda squished leg.

Everybody was moving fairly slow.

papa was a  little shocked,

she just kept coming.

On the phone.?

glad your ok papa al. It seem even with an experienced rider such as yourself and good situation awareness  they can still fool ya. Far less traffic up here in Chiang Rai but that's changing and everyone wants to go fast all the time as a result. I certainly is a challenge keeping the rubber side down these days that's for sure. I make sure I am  well coffee'd up before heading out and don't drive at night any more period.

Today on beach rd a young Russian driver almost hit me, he did not look in the mirror and changed lane very quickly, fortunately my quick reaction time saved me from getting hit from the side. He had to stop on red light so I told him what a stupid fuxxx idiot he is.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, balo said:

Today on beach rd a young Russian driver almost hit me, he did not look in the mirror and changed lane very quickly, fortunately my quick reaction time saved me from getting hit from the side. He had to stop on red light so I told him what a stupid fuxxx idiot he is.

papa likes watching YouTube vids of Russians wrecking & fighting &c.

• Sad 1

Glad you lived to ride another day.

Riding a bike here you have to be a lot more defensive minded than in the UK because the Thais spacial awareness is not their strong point.

On the plus side, if ever back riding in the UK the defensive awareness you pick up here can stand you in good stead.

Dang Papa, somebody is watching you on the pegs.   Good that Papa is still on the pegs and the sage. 

My only accident on the bike was in Thailand.. Rear ended...over the bars, into the opposite lane.. NO CARS.. Thank goodness.

I suppose it keeps us frosty... these reminders...   Even with the car and bike, I have always remembered the training about Driving overseas,  it is always a good reminder... Know where you going to drive, the road, and destination, focus on getting there, be in the now, and look the F out for potentials...

Even on the little trip to the office, it is still the same drill.

post-7852-0-94357200-1457410950_thumb.jpg

3 hours ago, Rhys said:

Dang Papa, somebody is watching you on the pegs.   Good that Papa is still on the pegs and the sage. 

My only accident on the bike was in Thailand.. Rear ended...over the bars, into the opposite lane.. NO CARS.. Thank goodness.

I suppose it keeps us frosty... these reminders...   Even with the car and bike, I have always remembered the training about Driving overseas,  it is always a good reminder... Know where you going to drive, the road, and destination, focus on getting there, be in the now, and look the F out for potentials...

Even on the little trip to the office, it is still the same drill.

post-7852-0-94357200-1457410950_thumb.jpg

I've been hit minor a few times  but one night slowed down for a uturn on phayonyothin rd

Taxi behind us didn't slow down and sent  us over the handlebars,

just remember hitting the road and scrambling in confusion to get me and the girl off the road before we get run over by the next taxi or pickup racing to get somewhere  after midnight 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1