Vendor's bad memory leads to Bt30 million lottery conspiracy: CSD source

webfact

By The Nation

5980b6002f8fd6366d239c70453e304d.jpeg

The faulty memory of lottery ticket vendor in Kanchanaburi led to a conspiracy to cheat the true winner of the Bt30 million prize money, a source from the Crime Suppression Division (CSD) investigative team said on Tuesday.

The source said that retired policeman Charoon Wimul, 62, is the true winner and teacher Preecha Kraikruan, 50, had allegedly conspired with the lottery vendor to make a false complaint with Kanchanaburi police.

The disputed winning lottery tickets carried the number of 533726 in the November 1 draw.

The CSD team found that three five-ticket sets with the last three digits of 726 were sold at the Red City Market, the source said.

The CSD team found that the first set, that did not have the first three digits 533, was bought by a man identified as Acharn Daeng.

The second set, that also did not have the first three digits 533, was sold by a vendor who regularly sells to Preecha.

The third set, with the complete six-digit winning numbers, was bought and sold by a different vendor, the source added.

However, the vendor that sold the second non-winning set of tickets thought that she had sold the winning tickets but she could not remember who she sold it to.

She first called Acharn Daeng who told her he did not have the winning numbers and then she called Preecha, and mistakenly told him that he had won the first prize.

“Then one thing led to another,” the source said.

Police initially concluded that Preecha was the true winner but the case was later taken over by the CSD, which released evidence that indicated otherwise.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30339287

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-20

46 minutes ago, webfact said:

According to another post 'all Thai people have a heart of gold', so why not share the lottery win with all the other gold-hearted Thais: Bt30 million divided by 60 million, would leave everyone a whopping... :shock1:

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just think of the odds of losing the winning tickets (falling out of your pocket).. its a real small chance. Far more likely he never had them. 

And even more unlikely, what are the odds of finding the winning tickets?

The odds of buying them are pretty damn small, never mind finding them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

And even more unlikely, what are the odds of finding the winning tickets?

The odds of buying them are pretty damn small, never mind finding them.

The policeman has his profession against him.. though I would not say teachers are all angels either like this guy is proving.

Just now, chickenslegs said:

So, Preecha's vendor never had the winning tickets.

I would have thought that a quick check of the lottery records would have established that fact in the early days of this fiasco.

Yes would have been a good way to start, but is it really registered that good. I can see how the larger ones are registered but the smaller ones ?. There might well be I have no real knowledge but writing down who has what numbers seems like a lot of work. In this country they often take shortcuts its a bit hard for me to imagine that this is done here.

2 hours ago, JAG said:

No misunderstanding then, the police have decided the policeman won it.

What an unexpected outcome!

I wonder how much "informal tax" he will be paying?

Read this article JAG and you might like to reconsider your comment:

www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30338044

- Writing your name on the back at the point of purchase might help any that manage to lose their ticket, as might photographing it with the vendor in the background ('timestamp' an' all that!).

- Electronic receipts & verified CCTV mugshots of Jackpot winners are normal practice just about everywhere else :shock1:

22 minutes ago, jonstarjon said:

Makes me laugh.. Do you really think DNA evidence is going to be picked up on paper?? If it is.. Its guaranteed to be fake. Think about it.. When you give a DNA sample how much crap you have to go to.... Its a no brainer

It sounds good if nothing else. 

18 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

According to another post 'all Thai people have a heart of gold', so why not share the lottery win with all the other gold-hearted Thais: Bt30 million divided by 60 million, would leave everyone a whopping... :shock1:

...hah-sip satang

What I don't understand is why has this saga been played out at the police station?

Surely, in any normal country, the two claimants would be required to produce their evidence in court and have a judge decide on who is right? What's the point of having a court and a judge if the police decide who is wrong and right? Do the courts here just rubber stamp the police verdict?

1 minute ago, nahkit said:

What I don't understand is why has this saga been played out at the police station?

Surely, in any normal country, the two claimants would be required to produce their evidence in court and have a judge decide on who is right? What's the point of having a court and a judge if the police decide who is wrong and right? Do the courts here just rubber stamp the police verdict?

This is not a normal country