Thai student helps foreign English teacher after bike accident

rooster59

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

The Student boy was a passenger on the bike .

Its not as if he was a passerby who stopped to give assisstance

So guess that makes a big difference, what was the alternative - do the normal runner? 

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I think you're confused about what a tefl teacher actually does. If you're working in an international school teaching British or American curriculum in English, then yeah, you would want someone with a PGCE and some experience. Which is exactly what they do have in those schools.

If you're teaching tefl in a government school, you are teaching really basic stuff. I doubt you even need a degree at all, epically seeing as a completely unrelated degree is all that is needed. PGCE would be total overkill and most tefl teachers would not need it. I'm not saying it wouldn't make them a better teacher, it's just a lot more than is needed given what they actually teach.

You're obviously free to think that every tefl teacher should have a degree in education, a PGCE and several years experience teaching in a Western school, but how helpful that is for someone teaching a class of 50 restless students "what did you do at the weekend?", I'm not sure.

Also, there's not much to attract a well qualified teacher to a job that pays a fraction of the wages they could get elsewhere.

I'm sure there are some awful tefl teachers, but there are some really good ones as well. I know it's fun for you guys to make out there all hopeless idiots, but they provide a service that benefits the schools and the students.

Well you should give a bit of leaway to the highly intelligent want-a-be posting experts in <deleted>. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Really? So if a teacher is driving to school and he sees a student walking towards the same school and offers them a lift he will be sacked?

Unless there was another adult in the car, as a teacher, there is absolutely no way I would give a student a lift. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Really? So if a teacher is driving to school and he sees a student walking towards the same school and offers them a lift he will be sacked?

Placing himself in such a precarious position is extremely unwise without a 2nd person in the car or a dual-lensed dashcam that should at the very least be retained for his own protection.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, samsensam said:

a professional teacher, or any professional who works with minors, knows this, as does anyone who has been through child protection/safeguarding training

They have that training in Thailand? This is what Thai teachers are told?

It's just this goes against what I have personally witnessed.

Edited by BangkokReady

When an accident happens in the UK almost everyone jumps into help until the emergency people arrive and take over, here they want to give a gold star for helping a farang out, poor old farang for living here comes to mind as back home they give their help free and don't need to be asked to do it, 3rd world education.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

They have that training in Thailand? This is what Thai teachers are told?

"Thai teachers" are actually civil servants and i would say that at least 99% do not have any formal training in education or childcare safety.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

"Thai teachers" are actually civil servants and i would say that at least 99% do not have any formal training in education or childcare safety.

Suggest a fact check on your part wouldn't go astray. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎24‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 6:44 AM, sanemax said:

The Student boy was a passenger on the bike .

Its not as if he was a passerby who stopped to give assisstance

An adult "foreign" teacher covered with a full face helmet gives a Young student lift on his motorbike with no helmet - it could have ended much worse and hopefully this teacher will be reminded about that fact in one way or another....:coffee1:

On Sat Feb 24 2018 at 1:50 PM, Happy enough said:

whats that got to do with anything?

I see Mr Henrik Andersen deleted his horrible nasty post, lucky you quoted him for all to see the type he is.....

Maybe Henrik should check this guys home country to see if there are any outstanding parking fines??

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kaorop said:

I see Mr Henrik Andersen deleted his horrible nasty post, lucky you quoted him for all to see the type he is.....

Maybe Henrik should check this guys home country to see if there are any outstanding parking fines??

My post was not nasty 

And I not delete my post I have reported to Webmaster some members in here like to write bad against others post and it is personal vendetta 

We all have our opinions and all have to follow the rules 

Thank you 

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:24 AM, BangkokReady said:

I think you're confused about what a tefl teacher actually does. If you're working in an international school teaching British or American curriculum in English, then yeah, you would want someone with a PGCE and some experience. Which is exactly what they do have in those schools.

If you're teaching tefl in a government school, you are teaching really basic stuff. I doubt you even need a degree at all, epically seeing as a completely unrelated degree is all that is needed. PGCE would be total overkill and most tefl teachers would not need it. I'm not saying it wouldn't make them a better teacher, it's just a lot more than is needed given what they actually teach.

You're obviously free to think that every tefl teacher should have a degree in education, a PGCE and several years experience teaching in a Western school, but how helpful that is for someone teaching a class of 50 restless students "what did you do at the weekend?", I'm not sure.

Also, there's not much to attract a well qualified teacher to a job that pays a fraction of the wages they could get elsewhere.

I'm sure there are some awful tefl teachers, but there are some really good ones as well. I know it's fun for you guys to make out there all hopeless idiots, but they provide a service that benefits the schools and the students.

This person you are replying to probably doesn't know what TEFL is.