Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

webfact

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Just to clarify , it was stated that the guy in the photo was not her Father .

It has yet to be established whether the guy using fake $100 bills in the USA , who is wanted by the Police there , is the same guy in the photo on her facebook page.

That's how i understood the reply from the police. I started with the explanation and the link to the news here, the news from last year, the facebook and the picture with the guy

The last sentence i wrote was: The name of the girl is Danniel Paquette and she wrote she is going to visit her father, so the man on the picture could be her father.

Then the police replied: The two do not seem to be related.

So to me it sounded like that the girl and the man are not related, because that was the last thing about what i wrote. If i think about it again they could also have meant that the guys on the picture are not related (or not the same).

If somebody wants to ask them again to make this 100% clear: "Citrus Heights PD" on Facebook.

1 minute ago, farcanell said:

And we appreciate your coming on here to build a bridge... truly... it adds another dimension.

that said... with 34 posts, I’m wondering how you knew that this was the place to set up your soap box, or was it as simple as searching for expat markets... oops... forums

I came here because I came across this article and saw that a lot of of you had no idea about certain things. AND that you continued to call out SCAM SCAM SCAM. When that is so almost impossible to do over here through gofundme. I am not on my soapbox but it seems a lot of speculation happening and little care to the actual stated and said details. That is why. Only here to help. So when everything comes out in due time and you see that this wasn't a scam, will this just be a simple fleeting moment for you all? The point here is it is not a scam and the women are more than likely facing prison time.

Just now, scorecard said:

Not a close friend.... so why are you spending hours on line with a case with more holes than swiss cheese?

maybe hes a retired fed or lawyer or cop..  im only interested because i found 2000 dollars this morning and im looking for a good currency exchange booth in BKK.

There are a lot of fake US$ in Cambodia. How did you think the North Koreans got along. This was one of the ways. Hacking crypto-currency exchanges a more modern method.

But Brandon specifically states that it was spirit money. Since it is his girlfriend, we can only assume it is what she told him.

Damned by her own words.

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

He posted that on Monday 26 th , this thread was posted on Tuesday 27 th .

(Although he must have known about his GF being arrested before that)

Think of the time difference. 

1 minute ago, Makara said:

So when everything comes out in due time and you see that this wasn't a scam, will this just be a simple fleeting moment for you all?

When is the next Court case and where will it be held ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, yogavnture said:

maybe hes a retired fed or lawyer or cop..  im only interested because i found 2000 dollars this morning and im looking for a good currency exchange booth in BKK.

I am not a he, and I am a friend. Not a best friend, but a friend that cares. I don't need to defend myself. You guys need to realize how hard it would be to make this a scam. I mean seriously. 

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Not a close friend....

so why are you spending continuous hours on line regarding a case with more holes than swiss cheese?

How old are you? Personal question so if you don't wish to rely that's your right. of course.

Perhaps he’s “investing” the time.... or a “campaign” manager ????

2 minutes ago, Makara said:

I am not a he, and I am a friend. Not a best friend, but a friend that cares. I don't need to defend myself. You guys need to realize how hard it would be to make this a scam. I mean seriously. 

Lol... you need to travel more.

just for you... thailand is known universally as LOS.... as in, land of scams

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Makara said:

I came here because I came across this article and saw that a lot of of you had no idea about certain things. AND that you continued to call out SCAM SCAM SCAM. When that is so almost impossible to do over here through gofundme. I am not on my soapbox but it seems a lot of speculation happening and little care to the actual stated and said details. That is why. Only here to help. So when everything comes out in due time and you see that this wasn't a scam, will this just be a simple fleeting moment for you all? The point here is it is not a scam and the women are more than likely facing prison time.

" ... AND that you continued to call out SCAM SCAM SCAM.When that is so almost impossible to do over here through gofundme." 

What proof do you have of your statement about almost imposible .....

Just try to get some pertinent answers about ethics, checking scenarios from the gofundme people. Give it a try, be ready for no answers or comments whatever.

Edited by scorecard

Just now, giddyup said:

Notes clearly marked COPY? They would have laughed their <deleted> off.

ok. if that is so............then wouldnt the girls have seen the copy written on the bills.  maybe we are missing part of this story. maybe the girls knew what they had and still were stupid enuf to try to pass them off.?  and they figured whats the worst that could happen?  they will just tell us to go away. but the girls didnt anticipate an arrest?  the girls did say they were staying in a 5 dollar room. so maybe they were hard up for cash?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Makar, if you are so keen to help, how about making some calls (perhaps brandon) and come up with absolute clear proof:

- That this matter is officially in the hands of the Thai police and is currently subject to further police processes.

- That the girls are being held by the Thai police, or are either released with no further action likely, or they are officially out on bail.

Look forward to your response.

They are out on bail and to my understanding awaiting there court hearing. 

Just now, yogavnture said:

ok. if that is so............then wouldnt the girls have seen the copy written on the bills.  maybe we are missing part of this story. maybe the girls knew what they had and still were stupid enuf to try to pass them off.?  and they figured whats the worst that could happen?  they will just tell us to go away. but the girls didnt anticipate an arrest?  the girls did say they were staying in a 5 dollar room. so maybe they were hard up for cash?

Now you have it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OldSiamHand said:

this would be remarkably easy.  Once they hit their funding requests, they could take the money, claim that they were able to settle the matter with the police, get their passports back and return home, thanking everyone in return for all their efforts.  When pressed for details, they could say the matter was settled with the police, so no documents.  Something like that.  They'd get people to change the subject by overwhelming them with gratitude.

Yes, "we were sitting in a Thai jail cell , facing 15 years in jail , and a corrupt Policeman(you know what they are like over there) came and said, "pay $150 000" and you can go home , we gave him all the money and he gave us our passports back and we came home*.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

Very plausible.

Like I said early, thick as s *** to try and do something like this in a foreign country with currency from their own country. No sympathy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Now you have it!

im a bit slow. and now the scammers are going to cash in on the go fund me page??  it does seem odd the one fellow. spoke about counterfeit bills just days before the girls found the money.  something is fishy.  the thais will get paid off for sure with go fund me money and the culprits can negotiate with the thai cops to keep a percentage.?  everybody is happy........

this is how this will play out.   now we have income from the go fund me page. thier just needs to be a negotiation between the thai cops and the culprits on a fair split..............and by the way i fell today on the steps.  i have a 200000 baht hospital bill.  i am starting a go fund me page......................no seriously isnt a go fund me page for someone in a car wreck or something?  not girls finding 1000 dollars in a puddle

4 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

Yes, and if you were going to change fake $ bills , they would think it would be better, better chance of changing them , if they go to a small town , where they thought they wouldnt notice .

They may thought that CM was a small out the way place and they wouldnt know the difference between real and fake $'s

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

" ... AND that you continued to call out SCAM SCAM SCAM.When that is so almost impossible to do over here through gofundme." 

What proof do you have of your statement.

I am saying that the majority of the people handing over their money are friends and family. This is so publicized and so out in the open that if this was to be a scam everyone in on it would go to prison themselves. Why would more than a few people risk that? I mean is it possible that they are in trouble? Is it so hard to believe that their stupidity took over and they F-d up and now are paying for it the the thai judicial system?  Is that really so impossible to believe? 

13 minutes ago, Makara said:

Yep... it will be a fleeting moment... and then we will move onto the next scam.

thai police even have a special department for scams... and a program ( lol... right?) to refund people for being scammed... that’s how common it is for us hear

but... I do thank you... after another very late night, I’ve not been online long, and you’ve so far filled my waking hours with laughter

Just now, sanemax said:

Yes, and if you were going to change fake $ bills , they would think it would be better, better chance of changing them , if they go to a small town , where they thought they wouldnt notice .

They may thought that CM was a small out the way place and they wouldnt know the difference between real and fake $'s

if they thought they were real they would have cashed at least one in immediately in Cambodia to pay for the 5 dollar room or upgrade to a 7 dollar room . and by the way in Cambodia they take us dollars everywhere . guest houses etc.!!!!!!!!!!  but no the girls waited till coming to Thailand to cash in the lottery winnings...............they are guilty. end of story

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Makara said:

I will try and get that info for you. Legitimate question to ask. I would like to know myself.

I do believe however there is a 12 day investigation time before the next court hearing.

2 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Yep... it will be a fleeting moment... and then we will move onto the next scam.

thai police even have a special department for scams... and a program ( lol... right?) to refund people for being scammed... that’s how common it is for us hear

but... I do thank you... after another very late night, I’ve not been online long, and you’ve so far filled my waking hours with laughter

I am not sure what you mean. Glad to have made you laugh about a serious topic.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

if they thought they were real they would have cashed at least one in immediately in Cambodia to pay for the 5 dollar room or upgrade to a 7 dollar room . and by the way in Cambodia they take us dollars everywhere . guest houses etc.!!!!!!!!!!  but no the girls waited till coming to Thailand to cash in the lottery winnings...............they are guilty. end of story

I suspect they paid $50 for the fakes. Then it went pear shaped.