Irish PM says remains concerned about UK Brexit position

rooster59

Irish PM says remains concerned about UK Brexit position

800x800 (8).jpg

FILE PHOTO: Ireland's Taoiseach Leo Varadkar holds a news conference in Dublin, Ireland, December 8, 2017. REUTERS/Clodagh Kilcoyne/File Photo

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar on Friday said he remained concerned that British Prime Minister Theresa May did not fully recognise the implications of leaving the European Union's customs union and single market.

May in a Friday speech urged the EU to show more flexibility in talks on a relationship after Brexit, saying Britain realised it could not get all it wanted but she believed an ambitious trade deal was still possible.

"She (May) has given a number of important reassurances today, which I welcome," Varadkar said. "However I remain concerned that some of the constraints of leaving the Customs Union and the Single Market are still not fully recognised."

Varadkar said he particularly welcomed May's "clear commitment" to Northern Ireland's 1998 peace agreement and to a December agreement to avoid a hard border between the region and the Republic of Ireland.

He said in the speech May recognised that the UK will face hard choices "given constraints between some of the UK aims and the consequences of withdrawing from the European Union."

But while he welcomed May' bid to secure a very close relationship with the EU after Brexit, that London needed to provide "more detailed and realistic proposals."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-03-03

3 hours ago, Bannoi said:

Time for another referendum......................................................................Should Northern Ireland leave the UK to create a United Ireland?

I am training My Pigs but they still cannot fly

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Excuse me Smedley I know that you are a one eyed Pom but  Northern Ireland are more than happy to stay

in the EU

and the United Kingdom voted to leave the EU

By your level of reasoning you could go into every county and every city in the UK and try and make the same stupid argument 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Varadkar has good reason to be worried. The word and a handshake with the Cons counts for nought. They were backtracking on their agreement the same day! My, how the UK has fallen ?

Of course - they never ran it past the political wing of the UDA first.

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

At least they are our faceless bureaucrats!

Touche !   a reply so good I might even give it  three ches :tongue:

I got a good chacle out of your reply , Thank You!

• Like 1

Eire is just playing it's part in the farce. The deleted post by Smedly (I wish he'd just post a link and a few lines from it} shows the truth that the border issue is just a giant red herring. Just like all the other myths, such as gravity economics, which are used by vested interests (big banks and multinationals) to fool the masses into following their plans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Eire is just playing it's part in the farce. The deleted post by Smedly (I wish he'd just post a link and a few lines from it} shows the truth that the border issue is just a giant red herring. Just like all the other myths, such as gravity economics, which are used by vested interests (big banks and multinationals) to fool the masses into following their plans.

https://briefingsforbrexit.com/brexit-and-the-irish-border/

• Like 1

Despite government and county council forecasts that state the UK will be worse of when leaving the EU, and that two ex-PMs and one ex DPM  state that Brexit is a disaster waiting to happen, including increasing devaluation of the £, the government is just not listening. Come hell or high water May will plunge the UK back into the Victorian colonial era, where apparently those colonised are lining up to do trade with us.

Rather than placing 40% of our existing trade through the EU, the biggest tariff-free market on our doorstep, and sharing trade treaties with large non-EU countries like Japan and China, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada and S America (see  your car industry and supermarket stocks), Brexiteers are angling for trade with what's left, like the Falklands, and South Sea islands and maybe Greenland and Iceland perhaps. Or the USA, where Trump is going to place a 25% levy on imports, that would cripple our steel industry if applied.  

Doesn't make economic sense in my book. And one other thought, I've yet to read in any UK media, any government Brexiteer, who can set out ANY economic advantage of leaving the EU. All they're doing is what posters on here do, and that's calling names and saying what others say is rubbish.   

However, I do think the Irish border situation could be resolved by both the EU and Ireland with a commitment to common sense adherence to border controls that exist elsewhere. I fear that the EU will  drive May into leaving with no deal, and that parliament will reject it and the UK will be back to square one. And that could force a general election...

Edited by stephenterry
addition to text.
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Despite government and county council forecasts that state the UK will be worse of when leaving the EU, and that two ex-PMs and one ex DPM  state that Brexit is a disaster waiting to happen, including increasing devaluation of the £, the government is just not listening. Come hell or high water May will plunge the UK back into the Victorian colonial era, where apparently those colonised are lining up to do trade with us.

Rather than placing 40% of our existing trade through the EU, the biggest tariff-free market on our doorstep, and sharing trade treaties with large non-EU countries like Japan and China, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada and S America (see  your car industry and supermarket stocks), Brexiteers are angling for trade with what's left, like the Falklands, and South Sea islands and maybe Greenland and Iceland perhaps. Or the USA, where Trump is going to place a 25% levy on imports, that would cripple our steel industry if applied.  

Doesn't make economic sense in my book. And one other thought, I've yet to read in any UK media, any government Brexiteer, who can set out ANY economic advantage of leaving the EU. All they're doing is what posters on here do, and that's calling names and saying what others say is rubbish.   

However, I do think the Irish border situation could be resolved by both the EU and Ireland with a commitment to common sense adherence to border controls that exist elsewhere. I fear that the EU will  drive May into leaving with no deal, and that parliament will reject it and the UK will be back to square one. And that could force a general election...

I agree with your last para and just hope that something sensible will happen regarding Ireland/NI and trade. But this will require sensible decision-makers, of which there appears to be an acute shortage! 

For the rest it is the pure economic argument as usual, with no consideration of the main factors that drove the leave vote.

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, sirineou said:

Touche !   a reply so good I might even give it  three ches :tongue:

I got a good chacle out of your reply , Thank You!

Glad you liked it. Three cheeses for me. Hip hip!

10 hours ago, smedly said:

I don't understand how this equates to the leave requirement of taking control of UK borders

How will not having border checks prevent the EU migrants from entering the UK?

How will not having border checks prevent goods liable for UK customs using the Irish republic to avoid UK customs

31 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

How will not having border checks prevent the EU migrants from entering the UK

To do what exactly, they cannot legally work, claim benefits, get housing etc etc

once we leave the EU migrants from the EU will need a visa to enter and remain in the UK "Irish citizens excluded as they have been for Decades