Video: Summer has arrived in Thailand with average temperatures tipped to hit 43c

Mar 1, and still cool in the mornings here in the far north, I walked out after a lunch time nap to be hit by a very summer like heat. 37C already and not even the hot season. I expect longer naps will be needed.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

Terrible reporting. If average temperatures were 43, that would mean daily highs of 50+, in which case many people would die. It is likely to be the same temperature that it always is at this time of the year, average 30-33, highs 37-40. And it's not 'summer', it's the dry season.  The terms summer and winter apply to the climate in temperate zones, not tropical, or sub-tropical.

It is the hot season not the dry season.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yeah, but up here in the valleys of Northern Thailand, the night time temperatures are still in the upper teens.  I don't mind the hot days when it's actually chilly at night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Last week in Bangkok it rained on 5 consecutive days

Here is Eastern Isaan, we got no less than 3 storms yesterday, with drenching rain, and humidity has been unbearable for the last few days...feels like being in  sauna...we could think that we are in the middle of the rain season!

As for the predictions, even though it is ridiculous to announce weeks in advance that temperatures will reach 43...and not 41 or 45...such a heatwave can't be dismissed just because it has not happened before...the climate today has little to do with what it was just 10 or 15 years ago, and is probably going to change even more in the years to come..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

43 will not be an average temperature anywhere. It might perhaps be a high temperature some days.  

I have no faith in their ability to predict the weather even a week in advance however, so I will take this info with the prescribed grain of salt.

That "average temperature" reference is just Jonathan Fairfield's interpretative nonsense, TMO did not say that at all. 

Fairfield also said to keep the temperature of aircon units down for fear of crashing the electricity system!  Just a load of Thaivisa alarmist garbage.

7 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Last week in Bangkok it rained on 5 consecutive days

It can rain during the hot season.  Not everyday as you would expect in the rainy season, but there are periods of rain from time to time.  I guess that is why it is called the hot season and not the dry season.

9 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Terrible reporting. If average temperatures were 43, that would mean daily highs of 50+, in which case many people would die. It is likely to be the same temperature that it always is at this time of the year, average 30-33, highs 37-40. And it's not 'summer', it's the dry season.  The terms summer and winter apply to the climate in temperate zones, not tropical, or sub-tropical.

Try looking at it this way ?

If monday wednesday and friday reach 42 and tuesday thursday and saturday reach 44 then the average hottest temperature for those 6 days will be,        wait for it,        43.

1 hour ago, teatree said:

It can rain during the hot season.  Not everyday as you would expect in the rainy season, but there are periods of rain from time to time.  I guess that is why it is called the hot season and not the dry season.

The tropical seasons as they used to be known have mostly disappeared.

Upcountry, it is more easy to see the changes because nature, and farmers, try to adapt.

Last year, for example, it started raining a lot in March, so farmers were able to saw the rice very early and harvest almost 2 months earlier than usual.

Meanwhile, fruits like mangoes were late, some being ripe only in August.

This year, mangoes are very early, many trees already carrying full grown fruits in February.

Right now, it would be very difficult to see which season we are in, if any, because it is much much more humid than it should be in early March.

Is it going to last?

Who knows...

50 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

The tropical seasons as they used to be known have mostly disappeared.

Upcountry, it is more easy to see the changes because nature, and farmers, try to adapt.

Last year, for example, it started raining a lot in March, so farmers were able to saw the rice very early and harvest almost 2 months earlier than usual.

Meanwhile, fruits like mangoes were late, some being ripe only in August.

This year, mangoes are very early, many trees already carrying full grown fruits in February.

Right now, it would be very difficult to see which season we are in, if any, because it is much much more humid than it should be in early March.

Is it going to last?

Who knows...

Agree with that, and it's got nothing to with a bad memory at my age.

I reckon that people read 'global warming' only means things getting hotter, that's part of it, the other most important part is extreme swings in conditions with regard to storms hurricane etc that don't actually feel warmer, just more often and more severe at times and can actualy produce cold weather problems that are more extreme.

43 will not be an average temperature anywhere. It might perhaps be a high temperature some days.  
I have no faith in their ability to predict the weather even a week in advance however, so I will take this info with the prescribed grain of salt.

Keep your faith to yourself and your fellow churchgoers, its useless to everyone else. Predicting weather is something people did in the biblical days. Thai Met weather forecasting is done by well educated scientists specialized on atmospheric behavior and uses advanced measuring tools, large data centers and satellites for observation, not some stick-throwing bushmen who goes by faith lol. The world scientific community shares all data and knowledge, and are very honest in their conclusions and methods used. Thai Met sits with the same knowledge and data that meteorologists elsewhere has, and their understanding and interpretation of the data makes them able to forecast the weather with about the same accuracy as other countries.

Evidence is important, faith is nothing but absolutely useless, just as you wouldn’t let an uneducated surgeon operate on you, or having wild-guessing faith-prayers judge your case in court or teaching your kids in school. If you don’t know what you’re talking about, then at least have the courage to respect those who have done a lot to achieve that knowledge and then shares their weather forecasts with everyone so we can be safer and make our lives easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

I won't indulge in the usual bashing saying their weather reports are useless etc. etc......after all if there was frost and an unheard cold spell this winter, in could be possible that some more records could be broken this summer in Thailand.

The weather and the planet are loosing equilibrium. About time for some fools to understand that climate change is not an invention comming from China or Russia!

I would take the OP's advice and consider to get the aircon revised, see that those tinted glass windows are in good shape, have some good stocks of water [and booze mixers] in the storage area, get the pool and the pumps checked and have enough high protection "La Roche Posay" sun block antiUV creams from Europe which IMHO are the best. Also make sure to have enough straw hats and caps, that the garden fans are working and everything will be fine to enjoy a great summer with good food, good booze and amazing chicks in the pool :cheesy::jap:

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1

Amazing how it changed once the calendar flipped over to March.  Here in BKK, it got hotter and sweatier.

Walking around Suk tonight and just dripping wet after 30 minutes.   And this is just the beginning.

Air is clearing up, tho, with the steady winds from the south blowing up that hot, moist air.  Should be

back to blue skies in another week or two.

9 hours ago, observer90210 said:

I won't indulge in the usual bashing saying their weather reports are useless etc. etc......after all if there was frost and an unheard cold spell this winter, in could be possible that some more records could be broken this summer in Thailand.

The weather and the planet are loosing equilibrium. About time for some fools to understand that climate change is not an invention comming from China or Russia!

I would take the OP's advice and consider to get the aircon revised, see that those tinted glass windows are in good shape, have some good stocks of water [and booze mixers] in the storage area, get the pool and the pumps checked and have enough high protection "La Roche Posay" sun block antiUV creams from Europe which IMHO are the best. Also make sure to have enough straw hats and caps, that the garden fans are working and everything will be fine to enjoy a great summer with good food, good booze and amazing chicks in the pool :cheesy::jap:

I will be stopping by in July hopefully.   Sounds like you have a nice place.  

As to the use of the word "Faith".  I don't see any religious intentions.  

9 hours ago, HOAX said:

In this sentence the word Faith refers to his confidence in the accuracy of forecasters.   

I have no faith that I am going to win money in poker tonight,  but I sure hope I have some fun hands. 

Edited by metisdead
Unattributed screen capture removed.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HOAX said:

Keep your faith to yourself and your fellow churchgoers, its useless to everyone else. Predicting weather is something people did in the biblical days. Thai Met weather forecasting is done by well educated scientists specialized on atmospheric behavior and uses advanced measuring tools, large data centers and satellites for observation, not some stick-throwing bushmen who goes by faith lol. The world scientific community shares all data and knowledge, and are very honest in their conclusions and methods used. Thai Met sits with the same knowledge and data that meteorologists elsewhere has, and their understanding and interpretation of the data makes them able to forecast the weather with about the same accuracy as other countries.

Evidence is important, faith is nothing but absolutely useless, just as you wouldn’t let an uneducated surgeon operate on you, or having wild-guessing faith-prayers judge your case in court or teaching your kids in school. If you don’t know what you’re talking about, then at least have the courage to respect those who have done a lot to achieve that knowledge and then shares their weather forecasts with everyone so we can be safer and make our lives easier.

Forecasts are wrong half the time. Past 72 hours more than half.

10 hours ago, HOAX said:

You really went to some great lengths here to attack the use of the word faith despite the context it was used in didn't relate to your little flame. Ironically your entire post demonstrated that your faith in forecasters abilities. Just a little trigger happy I recon. Next time wait till you can see the target.

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2018 at 7:24 AM, canuckamuck said:

You will need more than a grain of salt if the prediction is correct. To cope with salt loss from sweat you need to eat salty food AND drink huge amounts of water.

• Haha 1