Stolen British passport

18 minutes ago, jimbob333 said:

Yeah that lasts 90 days? Also I'm guessing I would have to tell the British embassy is my plans are to go to Laos, then return to Thailand?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You can apply for the ETD online, but will be required to provide travel details

https://www.apply-emergency-travel-document.service.gov.uk/

16 minutes ago, jimbob333 said:

Yeah that lasts 90 days? Also I'm guessing I would have to tell the British embassy is my plans are to go to Laos, then return to Thailand?

You only need 6 months of validity to get the single entry visa. You could try for the multiple entry visa to see what they say. 

You would need to get a regular passport within 6 months since all neighboring countries require at least 6 months of passport validity.

They will put up to 5 countries you can travel to on the ETD. 

19 minutes ago, jimbob333 said:

The countries they list are pre determined or I choose them? Are Laos and Thailand two of them?

You tell them what your intended trips are. Laos and Thailand would be the 2 you would need.

• Like 1

If this happened to me, this is what I would do. Get the police report, file the lost/stolen passport as advised earlier and get the ETD. Make an appointment for a same-day passport replacement in the UK (don't pick a busy passport office like London - you'll be there all day. The Durham passport office is good). Then fly to the UK, surrender the hopelessly limited ETD on arrival, get a proper, 10-year passport, then the required Thai visa before returning to Thailand and doing the formal 1-year extension rigmarole.

PS. Make damn sure it doesn't get lifted again.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

send an email to VFS Global at Trendy Building in Bangkok

Some of the most usual and worthless comments come forth when a person is seeking help.  The lack of an e-mail address makes it impossible to send any form of communication in order to help resolve the problem.  If you have it then provide it don't leave it as a mystery.

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

file in person at VFS in Bangkok Soi 13

This poster could have supplied the name of the street, instead of just Bangkok Soi 13.  I live on Vivhavadee and there is a Soi 13 on the street.  However, I doubt that is the correct or a very useful address.

• Confused 1

If this happened to me, this is what I would do. Get the police report, file the lost/stolen passport as advised earlier and get the ETD. Make an appointment for a same-day passport replacement in the UK (don't pick a busy passport office like London - you'll be there all day. The Durham passport office is good). Then fly to the UK, surrender the hopelessly limited ETD on arrival, get a proper, 10-year passport, then the required Thai visa before returning to Thailand and doing the formal 1-year extension rigmarole.

PS. Make damn sure it doesn't get lifted again.
Why wouod I fly back to England to get a passport? When I live in Thailand doh

31 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

Some of the most usual and worthless comments come forth when a person is seeking help.  The lack of an e-mail address makes it impossible to send any form of communication in order to help resolve the problem.  If you have it then provide it don't leave it as a mystery.

This poster could have supplied the name of the street, instead of just Bangkok Soi 13.  I live on Vivhavadee and there is a Soi 13 on the street.  However, I doubt that is the correct or a very useful address.

No.....  but Googling is not complicated...

Edited by Jip99

33 minutes ago, jimbob333 said:

Why wouod I fly back to England to get a passport? When I live in Thailand doh

Because it is ultimately the quickest way to get a proper replacement passport and the ETD is not a proper passport. In my line of work, a full passport is imperative.

But as I said, that's how I would handle it and possibly still retain the benefits of the pre-existing extension before it expires. You did say you had copies of the lost passport and extension stamps no?

If running around Bangkok and border-hopping like a headless chook is cheaper works for you, knock yourself out.

8 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

You can apply for the ETD online, but will be required to provide travel details

https://www.apply-emergency-travel-document.service.gov.uk/

That is worded as an application for a ETD to be issued in the UK for someone urgently departing the UK to go overseas. Applying for an ETD to replace a lost-stolen passport overseas may be handled differently with possibly the local Embassy involved and typically is issued solely to get the person back to the UK, with limited international travel during its 1-year validity.

Edited by NanLaew

1 hour ago, wotsdermatter said:

I meant to type Sukhumvit Soi 13... but you knew this already.

Now, apart from critiquing other members helpful suggestions, what else of any relevance have you come up with?

2 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:
14 hours ago, BritTim said:

send an email to VFS Global at Trendy Building in Bangkok

I gave the link to the Home Office webpage that describes the procedure to applying for a replacement passport. I then very briefly outlined the critical path. First step (if you want a replacement passport in Thailand) is to send an email to VFS Global asking for an appointment. The email address you must send to, and other details, are well documented in the link. Someone who has no email, and is not willing to get one, will have to ask for a friend's assistance.

If you know of an alternative (rather than just criticizing someone giving correct information) by all means provide it. You might also suggest to the UK Home Office that they should document that alternative.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

But as I said, that's how I would handle it and possibly still retain the benefits of the pre-existing extension before it expires.

Your approach (to keep the extension before it expires) involves

• apply for emergency travel document;
  • visit immigration to have the extension reinstated and apply for a re-entry permit (remember, the old re-entry permit is gone, even if you have a photocopy);
  • go to England for a replacement passport; and
  • on return to Thailand, visit immigration to have the extension transferred, and apply for a further extension.

In most cases, applying for the replacement passport in Thailand, and going to Laos for a single entry visa on your emergency travel document is going to lead to the same result after you apply for an extension of your permission to stay. Personally, I would only travel all the way back to the UK if I had other reasons for making the trip. 

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

That is worded as an application for a ETD to be issued in the UK for someone urgently departing the UK to go overseas. Applying for an ETD to replace a lost-stolen passport overseas may be handled differently with possibly the local Embassy involved and typically is issued solely to get the person back to the UK, with limited international travel during its 1-year validity.

The process is no different if oversees.

The online application gives the British Embassy in Bangkok as the option available

The online application allows for returning to back to returning to Thailand

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

Personally, I would only travel all the way back to the UK if I had other reasons for making the trip. 

Like a decent pint, hooking up with the family, meeting friends (having another pint!), taking the old Aston Martin for a spin, taking the neighbors dog for a long walk in Cumbria, checking the mailbox, earning some air miles and other aspects of keeping 'living the dream in Thailand' real and totally in perspective.

Otherwise, good points on the death of the re-entry permit. I already know this has no chance of recovery.  However, I was thinking more on the copies of the pre-existing extension in the stolen passport having some validity in quickly re-establishing and/or re-validating ones long-term stay on the new passport?

The OP considers he is limited to getting the ETD since a replacement, full passport may not be ready in time? However, if he's not really planning going anywhere, then why not get the new, full passport via VFS and then restart the local visa/extension circus? The ETD coats £100 and is only good for a year whereas the smallest 10-year passport via VFS is only £106.01 including courier fees and should still be in his hand by the end of the month.

BTW, I just checked and the same-day passport replacement is NOT available for lost/stolen passports in the UK so the OP would need at least a week (1-week fast track option). Still, it only costs £103. And he could sup a few more pints too!

As I mentioned earlier, the ETD would be a bit precarious for me inasmuch as only up to 5 overseas trips need to be 'pre-approved' and listed in and linked to the document and if for any reason, extra-curricular travel outwith these 5 declared trips takes place, the ETD is rendered invalid.

1 minute ago, rockingrobin said:

The process is no different if oversees.

The online application gives the British Embassy in Bangkok as the option available

The online application allows for returning to back to returning to Thailand

All bases covered then. Handy for some.

20 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The OP considers he is limited to getting the ETD since a replacement, full passport may not be ready in time? However, if he's not really planning going anywhere, then why not get the new, full passport via VFS and then restart the local visa/extension circus? The ETD coats £100 and is only good for a year whereas the smallest 10-year passport via VFS is only £106.01 including courier fees and should still be in his hand by the end of the month.

He only has 2 weeks left on his permit to stay. It would require a miracle to get a new passport before then.

At 500 baht a day for a overstay it does not take long for it to be equal to or greater than what the ETD costs. Plus the risk of being caught without a passport and being on an overstay.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He only has 2 weeks left on his permit to stay. It would require a miracle to get a new passport before then.

At 500 baht a day for a overstay it does not take long for it to be equal to or greater than what the ETD costs. Plus the risk of being caught without a passport and being on an overstay.

In order to be eligible for the ETD , the person is required to prove that they have residency in the country of final destination, in this case Thailand. I am not sure how the British Embassy will view the application considering only 2 weeks left on the existing permit to stay.

4 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

In order to be eligible for the ETD , the person is required to prove that they have residency in the country of final destination, in this case Thailand. I am not sure how the British Embassy will view the application considering only 2 weeks left on the existing permit to stay.

They will issue it since he has less time than it requires to get a new passport.

The ETD will allow him to leave, get a new visa and then re-enter the country. Thailand will be his final destination.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They will issue it since he has less time than it requires to get a new passport.

The ETD will allow him to leave, get a new visa and then re-enter the country. Thailand will be his final destination.

The decision maker will require the purpose of journey.

Once the applicants states that they require the ETD to make a journey to obtain a visa for Thailand , it surely will be refused if Thailand is the final destination.The reason being  they cannot have residency otherwise a visa would not be required.

The ETD is for emergency travel where a passport replacement cannot be obtained in time, its purpose is not to allow the holder to gain residency in lieu of a passport.

I suspect that the British Embassy will require the UK to be the final destination

7 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

I suspect that the British Embassy will require the UK to be the final destination

He only needs an address for here to prove residency. It is the same for applying for a new passport here.

Others have done the same thing when there passport was lost or stolen.

Up to 5 countries can be shown on the ETD. In his case they could be Laos, Thailand. Laos, Thailand and then the UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

He only needs an address for here to prove residency. It is the same for applying for a new passport here.

Others have done the same thing when there passport was lost or stolen.

Up to 5 countries can be shown on the ETD. In his case they could be Laos, Thailand. Laos, Thailand and then the UK.

The decision maker will want to know why the journey being proposed is an emergency.

Why is Laos Thailand Laos Thailand and then the UK more of an emergency as opposed  Thailand to UK, considering the issue of any visa or entry into any of the countries mentioned is not guaranteed apart from the UK

20 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

The decision maker will want to know why the journey being proposed is an emergency.

The emergency is that he no longer has a passport and that his permission to stay ends in 2 weeks.

47 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

The emergency travel document is not intended as an alternative to a regular passport. It is intended to substitute for a regular passport until a replacement can reasonably be acquired. As long as application for a new regular passport is made promptly, the embassy will supply an emergency travel document for the same purposes where you would normally use your regular passport (as far as allowed by the countries you intend to visit). Endorsements will restrict use of the passport to those valid activities. Leaving the country to apply for a fresh visa when your permission to stay expires is a valid use, as is applying for an extension of your permission to stay.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

The emergency travel document is not intended as an alternative to a regular passport. It is intended to substitute for a regular passport until a replacement can reasonably be acquired. As long as application for a new regular passport is made promptly, the embassy will supply an emergency travel document for the same purposes where you would normally use your regular passport (as far as allowed by the countries you intend to visit). Endorsements will restrict use of the passport to those valid activities. Leaving the country to apply for a fresh visa when your permission to stay expires is a valid use, as is applying for an extension of your permission to stay.

The ETD is only valid for 1 single journey specified within the document. The itinery cannot be changed or altered. I fail to see how this is a substitute for a passport.

17 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

The ETD is only valid for 1 single journey specified within the document. The itinery cannot be changed or altered. I fail to see how this is a substitute for a passport.

It can be used for more than one trip. Five countries can be shown on it. It is valid for a year which indicates it is close to being equal to a regular passport.

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It can be used for more than one trip. Five countries can be shown on it. It is valid for a year which indicates it is close to being equal to a regular passport.

No ,it is clearly spelt out in the T and C

It is good for 1 journey as specified in the documents observance page, with the possibility of 5 transit countries. On reaching the destination it is no longer useable. If after being produced alterations to the specified journey printed in the obsevance page are required then a new EDT is required. The exception to this is where the return journey is specified.

The validity for upto 1 year is to allow for certain countries requirements that travel documents should be valid x months beyond  entry into that country.

Edited by rockingrobin