Lost U.S. Driver's License

Hello,

Because my DLT/LTO office would not accept my reported address from my Immigration Office (had just completed my third "90-Day" report), I was forced to travel to Bangkok to visit my embassy to get a vehicle/residence affidavit. This trip entails a four hour bus ride and a minimum one night hotel stay (realistically two nights). Not the worst thing in the world, but a bit costly for something that isn't necessary for most.  Fortunately, I am close enough to my "Retirement Extension" that I was able to go ahead and get my annual income verification affidavit at the same time.  All good, right?

The evening of our arrival, my Thai wife and I decided to go out to dinner at the "Siam Parragon" BTS stop. It was about 6:30pm and the train was packed with people coming home from work.  I usually try to avoid public transport during evening or morning rush hours, if at all possible, but we were both tired and hungry after the four hour bus ride.

The train ride was only four stops from our hotel in Asoke, but again, it was very crowded with mostly young Thai professionals and a few tourist types, but nothing unusual.  My wife noticed a farang male standing close to me for the whole trip; I did too, but thought nothing of it.  When the train reached the Siam Parragon stop there was a crush of people (us) getting off and a similar number squeezing through to get on. 

I always carry my wallet in my front left hand jeans pocket and am continually patting my upper left thigh to make sure it is still there.  As soon as we had exited the train and had cleared the onslaught of people, I went to pat my jeans for my wallet and it was gone!   I never felt anything, but exiting the train in a crush of people was most likely when it happened.  I was carrying three U.S. credit cards, a  U.S. bank debit card, 10,000 baht in cash, and my U.S. Driver's License.  I am 70 years old and have never lost, or had stolen, a wallet.  When I traveled here from the U.S. I carried everything in a money belt under my clothes.  But never felt it necessary to do that here; until now.  We immediately summoned a transit officer who took us to his supervisors office.  Within ten minutes of the theft, I had cancelled all my cards; none had been used and new ones were being overnighted.  Fortunately, my wife had enough cash and credit to get us through the next day's embassy appointment and everything else we needed. 

After making my phone calls and chatting with the transit officers, we headed to the nearest Thai police sub-station to file a report.  This was my first experience with the Thai police, and I have to say that they were kind and professional; both the young officer who made out the report and his older supervisor.  They couldn't have been nicer.  They gave us a copy of the report and we left, tired and kind of in shock that this had happened.

Sorry for the long post, but it is related to my question.  I can't get a replacement DL from the State of Florida without going there in person.  They will only mail out a temporary permit without photo.  And it will take at least 3 to 4 weeks to arrive. My other docs will expire in 30 days. Does anyone on this forum think that the DLT office would honor a color photocopy of my stolen license (valid until 2021)along with the police report which specifically lists my U.S. driver's license as stolen, as a means of avoiding the associated driving and theory tests?

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

DH

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Most likely you'll be required to do the tests. I presume you don't have an IDP?

I had an IDP for my first visit here in Dec. of 2016, but they're only good for 12 months, so mine expired last December.  I really didn't think anything about it.  The only reason I got it, from AAA in the States, was so I could drive my Thai fiancee's car while I was visiting. I had no idea it was of any use beyond that.

Thanks for your input. You're probably right about the tests.

DH

24 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

I used a photocopy of a valid Middle Eastern driving licence and an out of date IDP issued on that licence to get my initial Thai driving licence.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That's interesting?  When I originally visited my LTO/DLT office, I had my valid U.S. license and an IDP only 3 months expired, and they just laughed at me and said come back with an embassy doc. Not even close to accepting my documents. 

The thing about the IDP's is that they're only good for 12 months, but most DL's that they are based on are good for much longer periods of time. Just because an IDP has expired doesn't mean that your original DL is no longer valid, or vice versa!

Anyway, thanks for your interesting and surprising input. Glad you got your Thai license.

DH

Note that whilst an IDP is valid for 12 months you can only legally drive on your foreign licence for 90 days (or 60 on a tourist visa).

An IDP isn't actually a legal requirement if your home licence is in English & has a photo as all an IDP is, is a translation of your home licence into English + adds a photo. There is no need to translate English to English! However, if stopped, some BIB don't know the law and it might make your day easier if you can produce one. 

• Like 1