Any ADHDers out there?

Dan W

Hi just wondering about getting ADHD meds in Thailand - I have a UK prescription for methylphenidate (Ritalin) and lysdexamfetamine (Elvanse) but have no idea whether these drugs are available in LOS, what they cost or how I would go about getting a prescription. Would be grateful for any info! I am planning to be on tourist visas if that makes any difference - alternating with Indonesia but not really going back to the UK.

Thanks

Probably not legal to do so, but it days gone by people could easily obtain ritalin over the counter in Bangkok.  Also a teacher, I have known many students to take it over the years.  It is definitely here.  I would pop into a hospital.

My son doesn't get meds for his ADHD, but he has sessions at Samitivej Srinakarin.
There, they are speacialized in children disorders, so you might get some help.
"might", because it's at the discretion of the doctor, you don't get that kind of medicine just because you asked for it, they have to evaluate if it's needed first.

47 minutes ago, franck1972 said:

My son doesn't get meds for his ADHD, but he has sessions at Samitivej Srinakarin.
There, they are speacialized in children disorders, so you might get some help.
"might", because it's at the discretion of the doctor, you don't get that kind of medicine just because you asked for it, they have to evaluate if it's needed first.

My daughter is autistic and I was thinking of going to Samitivej, would you be able to tell me roughly the costs of therapy sessions at this hospital.

1 minute ago, puffy said:

My daughter is autistic and I was thinking of going to Samitivej, would you be able to tell me roughly the costs of therapy sessions at this hospital.

There are different kind of sessions.

First, we visit the main pediatrician every 2 months to make a check, this costs around 1500-2000 THB.
In between, we have training sessions, and the cost was 1200 THB per hour.

Not cheap, but our son has made huge steps forward there, he is almost back to normal after 2-3 years of weekly sessions.

In Ratchadaphisek, I think it was soi 3, they also have training sessions, cost 500 THB for 2-3 hours.

The settings look much poorer there, but the activities have probably the same quality than at private hospitals.

Methylphenidate is available in Thailand but a very strictly controlled substance and legally available only from hospitals. It will be costly and you will have to see a doctor first.

Buying it form other than a hospital risks substantial legal penalties.

Lysdexamfetamine is nnot available here, there is no registered brand of it.  In addition, dexamphetamine is completely banned here and penalties for posession are extreme. While lysdexamfetamine and dexamphetamine  are not exactly the same, they are related and I am nto sure how narcotics officials would view it. Between this and its lack of availability, you would do best to get off the lysdexamfetamine before coming here. Discuss with your doctor whether you could take another drug in its place -  atomoxetine is available here under brand name Starttera, but quite expensive.

Situation is about the same in Indonesia.

Note that to bring these meds in with you, they must be in labelled bottles witgh your name and physician's name and you must also have with you a copy of prescription or medical summary from your doctor  stating that this has been prescribed and why. This will also help in getting it re-prescribed in Thailand.

Thanks a lot for all the info.

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Methylphenidate is available in Thailand but a very strictly controlled substance and legally available only from hospitals. It will be costly and you will have to see a doctor first.

Any idea how long I should allow to get rediagnosed and represcribed? I will have to aim to bring out enough to cover that period. In the UK, if you have a private prescription (and many people start on private prescriptions because it can take years to be seen and diagnosed on the NHS) the cost of generic methylphenidate works out at about 3000 baht/month at a typical dosage. When you say costly, do you think it would be much more than that? Hopefully less...

15 hours ago, Dan W said:

Thanks a lot for all the info.

Any idea how long I should allow to get rediagnosed and represcribed? I will have to aim to bring out enough to cover that period. In the UK, if you have a private prescription (and many people start on private prescriptions because it can take years to be seen and diagnosed on the NHS) the cost of generic methylphenidate works out at about 3000 baht/month at a typical dosage. When you say costly, do you think it would be much more than that? Hopefully less...

Leave yourself at least a week if in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, closer to a month if elsewhere.

Cost of  methylphenidate will depend on what brand the hospital has available but will likely be at least 30 baht/tablet or 9000 baht/month not including doctor and hospital fees. There is no locally made brand and it appears like the less expensive imported generic equivalents might be off market.

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Leave yourself at least a week if in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, closer to a month if elsewhere.

Cost of  methylphenidate will depend on what brand the hospital has available but will likely be at least 30 baht/tablet or 9000 baht/month not including doctor and hospital fees. There is no locally made brand and it appears like the less expensive imported generic equivalents might be off market.

The last price at government hospitals was 60 Baht/ 10mg tablet for Ritaline or Rubifen. That was about 1 year ago.

On 3/13/2018 at 4:58 AM, Sheryl said:

Lysdexamfetamine is nnot available here, there is no registered brand of it.  In addition, dexamphetamine is completely banned here and penalties for posession are extreme. While lysdexamfetamine and dexamphetamine  are not exactly the same, they are related and I am nto sure how narcotics officials would view it. Between this and its lack of availability, you would do best to get off the lysdexamfetamine before coming here. Discuss with your doctor whether you could take another drug in its place -  atomoxetine is available here under brand name Starttera, but quite expensive.

Sounds sensible and I was about to go back to the psych here for Strattera, but in the meantime I have heard back from a psych in Thailand who says that methylphenidate is the only ADHD medication available there. Could you tell me how you know that atomoxetine is also available? I don't want the psych to think I am being difficult but would like to go back with some sort of link because I have a lot of trouble sleeping on methylphenidate alone. Thanks.

I know it is available because:

- It is listed in MIMS, the Thai drug directory

- Many TV members are on it and report back on getting it here

Perhaps he meant it is the only drug available at his hospital/clinic

Just tell him that atomoxetine is listed in MIMS under brand name Strattera ...though I am sure he knows that