Alcohol ban in Phuket this weekend for local election day

webfact

Alcohol ban in Phuket this weekend for local election day

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1521531988_1-org.jpg

A bill poster for Suwan Songkhun, a candidate for the Moo1 Chalong Phu Yai Baan (village chief) election this Sunday (Mar 25). Photo: The Phuket News

PHUKET: For the first time since May 2014, an alcohol ban will be in force in Phuket this weekend as required under laws governing elections as the residents of Moo 1 (“Village 1”) in Chalong vote for a new Phu Yai Baan (“Village headman”).

The ban on the sale of alcohol will apply to only Moo 1 in Chalong, Muang Phuket District Chief Administrative Officer (Palad) Wilairat Kwanchien confirmed to The Phuket Newstoday (Mar 20).

Moo 1 Chalong includes includes Baan Na Yai on the island’s famed Muay Thai training camp street Soi Taiad, and Baan Khao Noi, located at the Chao Fa East Rd end of Soi Taiad.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/alcohol-ban-in-phuket-this-weekend-for-local-election-day-66416.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-03-20

15 hours ago, rebo said:

Even more funny than the ban of alcoholic baverages on Phuket I find the story behind the postponement of the elections in Moo 6 Rawai.

“We found that the number of people who registered as moving into the area after the previous village headman retired was not so clear,” she said.

“Last month alone, 330 residents moved into Moo 6 from several places. The average was 60 people per house – that is not possible in reality.

“We have cancelled the new address registrations for these 330 residents and the election has been deferred while we investigate this matter."

I'm curious to read about the outcome of this investigation ...
Most probably all 6 houses belong to the clan of the headman that be ...

That seems to be a test run for Prayut's election.

Why are foreigners subjected to these voting restrictions; foreigners cannot vote?
It started when people used to bribe people to vote with alcohol.
Free drinks down at our voting booth was the old mantra.

Thats why it's in place til this day.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

The usual wailing and beating of chests- get over it. It affects a small part of the island and even if it DIRECTLY affects you you should have work-arounds by now.

Nothing to see here- move along.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, meinphuket said:

Alcohol ban in Phuket....Fake news ! This loud headline would suggest the whole of Phuket is  affacted. Not so.....Moo 1 comprises a narrow little street mostly crammed with foreign gorillas, and a few side streets. That's where the ban applies, nowhere else ! . Walking from Moo 1 to Moo 2, where the ban does not apply, takes only a few minutes walk, so the whole ban is just nonsense.

Just ban thais from drinking as everybody else cant vote. Personally i dont care.  So meinphuket got no money then .......jealosy. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, sebastion said:

It started when people used to bribe people to vote with alcohol.
Free drinks down at our voting booth was the old mantra.

Thats why it's in place til this day.

You seem to have missed the point. Foreigners cannot vote, but foreigners cannot drink alcohol because Thai votes were bribed with alcohol?

You seem to have missed the point. Foreigners cannot vote, but foreigners cannot drink alcohol because Thai votes were bribed with alcohol?
I haven't missed anything.
I stated the reason why they ban alcohol for elections.
Either buy it a day before or dry out for a day or drive to another area and have your fill on the day.
We are visitors and have to abide by their laws no matter how ancient they seem.

Just now, sebastion said:

I haven't missed anything.
I stated the reason why they ban alcohol for elections.
Either buy it a day before or dry out for a day or drive to another area and have your fill on the day.
We are visitors and have to abide by their laws no matter how ancient they seem.

You did miss the point and you continue to miss the point. And, now you suggest I drive somewhere to drink without suggesting I take a designated driver.

You did miss the point and you continue to miss the point. And, now you suggest I drive somewhere to drink without suggesting I take a designated driver.

Oh please. Melodramatics are for those with no real retort.

Its the law. If it affects you which i know it doesn't then whats the fuss?

We are talking about an area thats maybe 1km square that has the ban. If that.

It doesn't affect tourism whatsoever.

Thailand is actually a nation with its own laws .

Complaining about it falls on deaf ears everytime.

Buy early or go to another tambon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sebastion said:

Oh please. Melodramatics are for those with no real retort.

Its the law. If it affects you which i know it doesn't then whats the fuss?

We are talking about an area thats maybe 1km square that has the ban. If that.

It doesn't affect tourism whatsoever.

Thailand is actually a nation with its own laws .

Complaining about it falls on deaf ears everytime.

Buy early or go to another tambon.

Are you that dense? Do you really think I do not know its the law? You go off half-cocked and do not even understand the absurdity of the law. My statement was a bit of humor aimed at that absurdity; it apparently went right over your head.