Hotel recommendations Hong Kong visa run

I was also going to mention Chung King mansion.  It's a giant building with about 8 elevators (yes, I'm a yank). 

It's walking distance from the cross-bay ferry on the Kowloon/Tsim Tsam Shui side.  Ask anyone. 

The ground floor is like walking into a Star Wars movie - the first one, where Luke walks into the bar with all the aliens.  People from every ethnic group on the planet. 

There are dozens of guest houses to choose from, all on upper floors.  All are cramped, but cheap.  The type of room with a single bed, and about five inches along one side between bed and cardboard-thin wall.  There are also some good and cheap places to eat, in there.

I particularly enjoyed the time I was on the ground floor, and a Bengali merchant was on the phones.  I use the plural, because he had a phone on each ear, and was having two conversations concurrently, shouting in both mouthpieces (older style phones).  It was like a Saturday Night Live sketch.  Imagine a very big John Belushi Indian man shouting red-faced sweaty, ....you get the picture.

• Confused 1

If you can tolerate tiny rooms, you have some good suggestions above. The rooms are usually claustrophobic, but clean. It is worth checking out Agoda and Bokking.com for deals in Chunking Mansion. If you are looking for some space, the big drawback of a Hong Kong visa run is hotel costs. I have only found good value hotel rooms with more space about an hour on public transport from Admiralty (where the Thai embassy is located). 

5 hours ago, leddie said:

Doesn't have do be the cheapest, but should be in decent location and good value.

Thanks for the tips.  Not interested in bottom of the barrel backpacker class digs, which rules out the interesting but dodgy Chungking. I am interested in "good value", not cheap. Thanks for any other tips.

Edited by leddie

55 minutes ago, leddie said:

Thanks for the tips.  Not interested in bottom of the barrel backpacker class digs, which rules out the interesting but dodgy Chungking. I am interested in "good value", not cheap. Thanks for any other tips.

You got that right, CK Mansions is well known for its dropouts,drug addicts and dregs of society also why would you want to stay Kowloon side when your business is on HK Island.

can I suggest you google HOTELS HONG KONG ISLAND WESTERN DISTRICT, many decent but not expensive hotels in that area and easy access to the tram that can drop you off practically outside the Embassy.

good luck

35 minutes ago, DipStick said:

You got that right, CK Mansions is well known for its dropouts,drug addicts and dregs of society also why would you want to stay Kowloon side when your business is on HK Island.

can I suggest you google HOTELS HONG KONG ISLAND WESTERN DISTRICT, many decent but not expensive hotels in that area and easy access to the tram that can drop you off practically outside the Embassy.

good luck

Nothing wrong with Kowloon and with the MTR it is actually incredibly fast to Admiralty.  Thanks for the google tip, but I was looking for actual recommendations.  As for Chungking, I would probably rather sleep in an abandoned stairwell or on a park bench.  At least I would get a bit of fresh air that way and not have to worry about a fire!

9 minutes ago, leddie said:

Nothing wrong with Kowloon and with the MTR it is actually incredibly fast to Admiralty.  Thanks for the google tip, but I was looking for actual recommendations.  As for Chungking, I would probably rather sleep in an abandoned stairwell or on a park bench.  At least I would get a bit of fresh air that way and not have to worry about a fire!

Ok Best Western Hotel for starters

Wharney Guang Dong in Wanchai is where I have  been staying for the past 7 years whenever I go to Hong Kong.  I have walked to the Thai Embassy from there when the weather was good.  Otherwise Admiralty is one  MTR station from Wanchai.  also good  bars/music at night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candoman89 said:

Wharney Guang Dong in Wanchai is where I have  been staying for the past 7 years whenever I go to Hong Kong.  I have walked to the Thai Embassy from there when the weather was good.  Otherwise Admiralty is one  MTR station from Wanchai.  also good  bars/music at night.

The Gloucester on Gloucester Road, not far from the Wharney is good and not expensive also.

Yes, CKM is a firetrap and a magnet for immigration raids. Only if you are desperate. And if you are that desperate, best to skip Hong Kong entirely. Among hotels, look at the Evergreen and IBIS North Point. Clean and good standard places, but very very small rooms. That's just the way it is in HK.