Syria's air defences respond to missile attack over Homs - Syrian TV

webfact

Syria's air defences respond to missile attack over Homs - Syrian TV

CAIRO (Reuters) - Syrian air defences responded to a missile attack over Homs which targeted Shayrat air base late Monday night, Syrian state television reported.

It also reported that the missiles were shot down by the country's air defences. The Syrian state television report did not, however, specify who may have fired the missiles.

(Reporting by Nayera Abdallah, editing by G Crosse)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-04-17

Syrian air defences shoot down missiles over two air bases -state TV, Hezbollah

AMMAN (Reuters) - Syrian anti-aircraft defences shot down missiles fired at the Syrian air base of Shayrat in Homs province late on Monday and another base northeast of the capital, Damascus, Syria's state television and pro-Iranian Hezbollah media said.

State television showed pictures of a missile that was shot in the air above the air base only days after a U.S., British and French attack on Syrian targets in retaliation for a suspected chemical attack on the city of Douma on the outskirts of Damascus.

State television did not mention three missiles that were fired at Dumair military airport, northeast of Damascus, that pro-Iranian Hezbollah's media service reported were intercepted by Syrian air defences.

Opposition sources say Dumair airport is a major air base used in a large-scale military campaign waged by theSyrian army with Russian firepower that regained eastern Ghouta, a rebel enclave on the outskirts of Damascus.

A Pentagon spokesman said there was no U.S. military activity in that area at this time.

Asked about the missile attack, an Israeli military spokesman said: "We don't comment on such reports."

Shayrat air base was targeted last year in a U.S. cruise missile attack in response to a chemical attack that killed at least 70 people, including children, on the rebel-held town of Khan Sheikhoun.

Israel has struck Syrian army locations many times in the course of the conflict, hitting convoys and bases of Iranian-backed militias that fight alongside Syrian President Bashar al- Assad's forces.

Israel has long said Iran was expanding its influence in a belt of territory that stretches from the Iraqi border to the Lebanese border, where Israel says Iran supplies Hezbollah with arms.

Hezbollah and other Iranian-backed militias have a large military presence in Syria and are well entrenched in central and eastern areas near the Iraqi border.

(Reporting by Suleiman Al-Khalidi in Amman; Additional reporting by Nayera Abdullah in Cairo, Yara Bayoumy in Washington and Maayan Lubell in Jerusalem; Editing by Leslie Adler and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-04-17

55 minutes ago, Topdoc said:

Another unprovoked attack from Israel?
Imagine if the reverse happened...

Unprovoked? the Iranian drone that was downed last month was carrying

explosives to hit targets deep inside israel, so yes, any Iran installations

in Syria is a legitimate target...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Western powers should stop interfering in the middle east. Stop selling weapons; stop funding terrorists; stop propaganda and keep out. Oh! I forgot for a moment; cheap oil.

Yeah....  but it's just peachy keen okay for North Korean, China, Iran, and Russia to fund terrorists and sell them weapons...  Right ? ? 

Oh, I'm sorry... I must have forgot.... which terrorists are the western powers funding ?  Hezbollah?  Hamas?  ISIS ?  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Syria by itself can not, would not and wouldn't dare attack israel knowing

full well what will be the outcome of such foolish acts,

Instead, Iran and the Hezbollah, who has no business being in Syria other

than expressions and territories control for their own gains, are busy provoking Israel over and over again, and everytime they pay dearly for it... 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Time to just build a 200 ft high wall around the middle east and leave them to it.

Maybe arm them all, build a Thunderdome over the whole area and let them have at it.  Anyone coming out the other side gets to keep the whole thing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Western powers should stop interfering in the middle east. Stop selling weapons; stop funding terrorists; stop propaganda and keep out. Oh! I forgot for a moment; cheap oil.

Russian interference, arms sales, support of brutal dictatorial regime and hyper investment in propaganda is perfectly alright though, eh? And obviously, no Russian interests when it comes to oil.

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

NK, China, Iran, and Russia are not the bad guys in all this. Must look closer to home for the real villains

So you say. Guess it must be true then.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

You know just as well as me where to look for the real villains causing all this chaos and turmoil .

I don't think that you "know" a whole lot, and even less regarding what "I know".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I've read a lot of your posts Morch. I've a good idea where you are coming from. As for me; well you will never know unless we sit down over a beer and chat for a few hours.

Waffle.