Medical check for work permit

Does anyone have the latest info on what is required, and also name of any quick cheap places to get this done in central Bangkok?  There used to be some clinics that would do this, but not sure if these are still okay or if it has to be a 5 star international hospital?

5 minutes ago, leddie said:

Any tips?

15 hours ago, leddie said:

Does anyone have the latest info on what is required

The latest info I have seen is that they want to see that a blood was done for syphilis as part of the medical check.

I cannot help on the remainder of your questions.

I always did mine at a local clinic. There is an older, semi-retired doctor there who would take my pulse, draw some blood for the syphilis test, tick off the boxes on the form (and of course ensuring that I was not suffering from elephantiasis) and then have a pleasant chat with me. All for 200 baht.

Up until a couple of years ago, the blood draw was not required for syphilis, at least for me. Also, until several years ago, I was not required to have a medical certificate at all for renewals. 

1 minute ago, natway09 said:

You will find now that only some hospitals are allowed to do the check.

In the bad old days any clinic but not now

And some doctors at hospitals will make a drug test, usually a meth test.

But in my province they are okay with an ordinary 30 baht one where I'd told the woman to add that they tested for syphilis on the list. 

4 minutes ago, natway09 said:

When did this start? I did a renewal in August of last year using a medical form signed by a doc at a local clinic.

24 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Depends on location.

5 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Some labor departments want you to go to a hospital, please see:

Medical no name_001.png

Funny !  Seems to be the same requirement that I needed to get my O-A visa in Canada 10 years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

I did one last November at a small clinic with no problems.

First up they changed the rules a few years back. No clinics. This may vary but if you go to a clinic and then they tell you you must go to a hospital then you've wasted time and money. I suggest you go to your local public hospital but be prepared to spend a bit / alot of time there. Basic medical exam plus blood for syphilis check. Cost me Bt75 maybe 80, 85. Can't remember. Took 3hrs. Private hosital may cost you Bt500 and it won't be much quicker if at all as you will still have to wait for the blood test results.

On 4/30/2018 at 4:19 PM, leddie said:

Does anyone have the latest info on what is required, and also name of any quick cheap places to get this done in central Bangkok?  There used to be some clinics that would do this, but not sure if these are still okay or if it has to be a 5 star international hospital?

As far as I understand it differ a bit from labour office to another, and might also differ with different officers. Maybe even the mood of the officer that day. For me a simple 200 Baht certificate from a clinic close to Saphan kwai BTS has been enough, done within 30 minutes including the wait for the blood test, and we check everything my layer has faced they might ask for. And the list is:

1, Leprosy

2, Tuberculosis

3, Drug addiction

4, Alcoholism

5, Elephantisas

6, Syphilis 3rd stage.

And with the Syphilis test the clinic also test HIV.

Edited by Eaglekott

2 hours ago, Eaglekott said:

1, Leprosy

2, Tuberculosis

3, Drug addiction

4, Alcoholism

5, Elephantisas

6, Syphilis 3rd stage.

And with the Syphilis test the clinic also test HIV.

The whole thing about requiring a blood test for syphilis is based on a misunderstanding of medicine. The rules very clearly state third stage syphilis and there is no blood test for that distinct from stages 1 and 2. The third stage of syphilis is the final stage before death where you would be showing obvious symptoms like loss of balance and insanity. The last time I got a work permit I brought in a blank medical form with those six diseases to a clinic. The old doctor knew straight away what he had to do to test for third stage syphilis. He asked me to look up and down, stand up, walk to the door and walk back. Anyone with third stage syphilis would be stumbling about all over the place. This doctor was actually very thorough, carefully doing his best to establish that I was in fact free of those six diseases. It cost 80 baht and was accepted by the work permit office. This was a couple of years ago.

However, I did go into two other clinics and they refused to fill in the form I gave them, instead insisting they do their own form which included an overpriced syphilis test.

This was all in Bangkok. It's obvious that in some provinces you definitely need a blood test.

A few years ago I went to Bumrungrad Hospital and the doctors there are knowledgeable enough to know there is no blood test for third stage syphilis so they will give you a physical examination and a form that certifies you free of all six diseases. It cost about 800 baht but if I had to get a work permit in Bangkok right now, that is what I would do.

22 hours ago, cnx355 said:

Funny !  Seems to be the same requirement that I needed to get my O-A visa in Canada 10 years ago.

It's only a formality, I went to my clinic told the woman to add Syphilis to the list and it was accepted. 

14 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

The whole thing about requiring a blood test for syphilis is based on a misunderstanding of medicine. The rules very clearly state third stage syphilis and there is no blood test for that distinct from stages 1 and 2. The third stage of syphilis is the final stage before death where you would be showing obvious symptoms like loss of balance and insanity. The last time I got a work permit I brought in a blank medical form with those six diseases to a clinic. The old doctor knew straight away what he had to do to test for third stage syphilis. He asked me to look up and down, stand up, walk to the door and walk back. Anyone with third stage syphilis would be stumbling about all over the place. This doctor was actually very thorough, carefully doing his best to establish that I was in fact free of those six diseases. It cost 80 baht and was accepted by the work permit office. This was a couple of years ago.

However, I did go into two other clinics and they refused to fill in the form I gave them, instead insisting they do their own form which included an overpriced syphilis test.

This was all in Bangkok. It's obvious that in some provinces you definitely need a blood test.

A few years ago I went to Bumrungrad Hospital and the doctors there are knowledgeable enough to know there is no blood test for third stage syphilis so they will give you a physical examination and a form that certifies you free of all six diseases. It cost about 800 baht but if I had to get a work permit in Bangkok right now, that is what I would do.

I know exactly what you are saying and I even brought it up with the clinic doctor. He assured me that the blood test was required (this was almost two years ago) although it had not been previously, so I did it. Later, I asked about that from the officer at One Stop Centre in BKK and she confirmed the blood test was required, although she may have said that because I asked. I did the blood test again the new renewal, just because it would be a real PITA if they refused to process my renewal without it. 

Who knows what the requirement is at other locations or how it is interpreted. 

Edited by bubba

34 minutes ago, bubba said:

I know exactly what you are saying and I even brought it up with the clinic doctor. He assured me that the blood test was required (this was almost two years ago) although it had not been previously, so I did it. Later, I asked about that from the officer at One Stop Centre in BKK and she confirmed the blood test was required, although she may have said that because I asked. I did the blood test again the new renewal, just because it would be a real PITA if they refused to process my renewal without it. 

Who knows what the requirement is at other locations or how it is interpreted. 

People have been saying the same thing for years ever since syphilis was added to the list. All I can say is I never had a problem with a form that included syphilis but not the blood test results.

Anyway, I'm sure Bumrungrad know what they're doing so I would just go there and accept their expertise.

56 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

It's only a formality, I went to my clinic told the woman to add Syphilis to the list and it was accepted. 

It always worked for me too so it's good to know that that's still working, although what is accepted by the Department of Employment is completely different to something like an OA visa.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

It always worked for me too so it's good to know that that's still working, although what is accepted by the Department of Employment is completely different to something like an OA visa.

The labor departments have the same rules and regulations,. but some just don't take it so serious. 

14 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

People have been saying the same thing for years ever since syphilis was added to the list. All I can say is I never had a problem with a form that included syphilis but not the blood test results.

Anyway, I'm sure Bumrungrad know what they're doing so I would just go there and accept their expertise.

A waste of money. If they want you to go to a government hospital, you've gotta go. 

3 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

A waste of money. If they want you to go to a government hospital, you've gotta go. 

I've never heard of any rule in Bangkok saying you've got to go to a government hospital. Clinics and Bumrungrad have both worked for me in the past.

Edited by edwardandtubs

6 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

The labor departments have the same rules and regulations,. but some just don't take it so serious. 

The problem is some places like Phuket are obviously misinterpreting the rules and regulations. Bangkok seems to be interpreting them correctly.