Time to renew one year Retirement extension

Hello all, I will soon be renewing my one year retirement extension and have a question, as this was handled by an agent last year (the original extension based on retirement).  I'm doing it by myself this time, significantly cheaper!  

My question is this;  My 93 year old mother is living in the U.S. with my sister. Sadly, I anticipate that her time is drawing short, meaning that I might have to leave Thailand on very short notice to go back to the U.S.  If this should happen, while on my one year extension, will I be able to return to Thailand and pick up where I left off, just continuing my one year extension with regular 90-day reporting?  Do I need to renew this upcoming extension as some kind of multiple entry thing? Not sure what I should do. 

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any replies.

DH

With a reentry permit you can come back and " pick up where you left off", but you have to come back before the expiration date of the ext.If you leave without a reentry permit your ext is void the moment you're stamped out.

The reentry permit expires the same date as your retirement extension if you do not use it you need to apply for a new one at renewal.

You can apply for reentry permit at anytime not just at renewal.

I got out 2 or 3 times a year, whenever I am back I went to the immigration office to report address and get a new single reentry permit at the same time for 1000B. Multiple reentry permit is 3800B if you travel often.

• Like 1

My Mom also in the States is 99 year old,  I've been doing extension for close to 15 years. As like you it has been a concern never know when you will get the call? so just get the extension as noted once you get the Extension apply for a Re-entry single 1000 baht.  On the form just put down a date I usually put something a month away departure?

Also, noted if you happen to be out of the country and the Extension expires you got to start over again.  You report date 90 days starts again once you return with the new Arrival card date. 

A few years back it was like two months before my extension renewal, there was a emergency at home I went down and explain my situation at Jomtien in Pattaya, they were nice and told me if I show them a airline reservation they will make a exception and process my renewal although early my original date still remains the same.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Thailand J said:

If you leave without a reentry permit your ext is void the moment you're stamped out.

Not quite as the reentry permission desk is after the passport control desk at some airports, so you get your reentry permit after you have been stamped out.

Reentry permits are usually available at main airports but to the best of my memory, those desks are not always open very late at night so best to get the reentry permit when you get your extension.  Safe is better than sorry.

Hello again,

One last question (I hope)...I'm filling out the fillable TM7 immigration form (for my one year extension) online and after I get to the second page and fill in the requested address information, it asks for the address and signature of the "Writer."  Am  I supposed to fill this in too, or is that something the immigration people fill in?  Anyone know who fills this in?  Thanks in advance for any replies...DH

You are the writer so give them your info and signature again.

Also write your phone number below the signature on the second page as you sign the form, they may ask for it.

Edited by Thailand J

6 hours ago, Thailand J said:

You are the writer so give them your info and signature again.

Also write your phone number below the signature on the second page as you sign the form, they may ask for it.

Thank you so much.  I just wasn't sure what they wanted. It seemed obvious to me that the person making the application was the "writer."  Oh well, Thailand, I guess...Lol.

DH