Bangkok Taxies... Worse than ever?

khunpa

The 1970s were the worst. Tiny Renault taxis that could barely seat two farangs in the back seat with very little room in the passenger front seat and no meters so you had to begun about the cost of each trip.

20 hours ago, Airalee said:

Must be some sort of a karma thing for all these people who have such frequent problems.

I think the issue is that this is Thaivisa, populated in the main by people who take great delight in whinging about and denigrating Thailand and Thais.  Any opportunity they'll stick their ignorant and arrogant boots in anywhere it is not necessarily deserved.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Thanks 1

I think the issue is that this is Thaivisa, populated in the main by people who take great delight in whinging about and denigrating Thailand and Thais.  Any opportunity they'll stick their ignorant and arrogant boots in anywhere it is not necessarily deserved.

I assure you this is not the case, I gave my honest opinion which is in this case not favorable for the majority of taxi drivers. This doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate Thailand and Thai people in general, on the contrary! In fact I consider your message rather negative and meaningless...I live and work in Thailand for the last 20y so my experience about taxis is not a one time occurance.
About Grab, same taxis, just extra “Grab” sticker and what makes it unpractical is that after the trip is confirmed, they always call for the same information.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just now, luk AJ said:

I assure you this is not the case, I gave my honest opinion which is in this case not favorable for the majority of taxi drivers. This doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate Thailand and Thai people in general, on the contrary! In fact I consider your message rather negative and meaningless...I live and work in Thailand for the last 20y so my experience about taxis is not a one time occurance.
About Grab, same taxis, just extra “Grab” sticker and what makes it unpractical is that after the trip is confirmed, they always call for the same information.

The majority of taxi drivers?  Wow...bad luck must follow you.  Have you ever paused and wondered why?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, luk AJ said:

"I assure you this is not the case..."

You can't have read many threads if you expect that point to be taken seriously!  This is a Thai-bashing forum when it comes to the majority of posters, maybe you are not amongst them.

40 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I’ll bet they have to pay “farang prices” for new tires every time one blows out in the colossal potholes too.  Must get expensive.

Edited by Airalee
  • Haha 1

The majority of taxi drivers?  Wow...bad luck must follow you.  Have you ever paused and wondered why?

Ok majority of taxi drivers I experienced. Sorry for this statistical error.
Yes it is possible my personal negative opinion is related to my character. That’s why it is a personal (bold) impression which is maybe not reflecting yours. On the other hand, taxi drivers who pass my criteria are very well tipped.

• Like 1

Some posters here must be looking really far to smart (or far to broke,  perhaps) as they never seem to have got cheated by a BKK taxi crook ???

....never had the meter refused ??...never had a run refused ?...  and not to mention some other posters, who must be really stinking rich that they actually want the BKK taxi rates to increase ?....

am I missing something ?  are these just another bunch of cabbie-trolls ?...or were they cabbies back home ?

or is it me, who looks plainly like another rich farang fool,  who all the taxis enjoy refusing the meter and  cheating on the price, as it happens much to often in BKK ?

Thanks for reading, this was my mid-week rant and I am ready now for the bashing,  or a few nasty/caty comments, or the elfs and the trolls, so be my guest:cheesy::jap:

Edited by observer90210

Some posters here must be looking really far to smart (or far to broke,  perhaps) as they never seem to have got cheated by a BKK taxi crook ???

....never had the meter refused ??...never had a run refused ?...  and not to mention some other posters, who must be really stinking rich that they actually want the BKK taxi rates to increase ?....

am I missing something ?  are these just another bunch of cabbie-trolls ?...or were they cabbies back home ?

or is it me, who looks plainly like another rich farang fool,  who all the taxis enjoy refusing the meter and  cheating on the price, as it happens much to often in BKK ?

Thanks for reading, this was my mid-week rant and I am ready now for the bashing,  or a few nasty/caty comments, or the elfs and the trolls, so be my guest:cheesy::jap:

Making stuff up really does not strengthen your position.

I don’t think anyone has implied they have never been refused a ride or never had a driver insist on not using the meter.

Not much to do about being refused a ride, but the meter is easy, just get out.

46 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

I’ve had the meter refused once as I mentioned in my original post and one time the driver didn’t want to go where I wanted.  It was terrible.  I had to wait at least another 60 seconds for another cab.  I just don’t understand how so many posters have such extreme bad luck with taxi drivers here in Bangkok.

Could it be that sometimes, I just use common sense, and if I am going to (or coming from) a touristy area such as Siam Paragon or whatever other mall along Sukhumvit that I feel like seeing a movie at or getting a bite to eat, that I realize that it might be better to use the BTS?  Sure, I have to walk a couple hundred meters to the BTS station and yes, I will sweat a little more but I seem to have no problem finding alternative modes of transportation (including walking) to avoid those location dependent situations with the taxi “crooks”.

Perhaps, after the complainers have finished their business on whatever soi they were most recently “serviced”, they should consider the kind of area that they are in and what kind of taxi drivers are waiting to screw them (a second time) and then find their way to a local BTS station.  Or are they too embarrassed when all eyes are on them as they get on the BTS at Nana?

I’ve had the meter refused once as I mentioned in my original post and one time the driver didn’t want to go where I wanted.  It was terrible.  I had to wait at least another 60 seconds for another cab.  I just don’t understand how so many posters have such extreme bad luck with taxi drivers here in Bangkok.

Could it be that sometimes, I just use common sense, and if I am going to (or coming from) a touristy area such as Siam Paragon or whatever other mall along Sukhumvit that I feel like seeing a movie at or getting a bite to eat, that I realize that it might be better to use the BTS?  Sure, I have to walk a couple hundred meters to the BTS station and yes, I will sweat a little more but I seem to have no problem finding alternative modes of transportation (including walking) to avoid those location dependent situations with the taxi “crooks”.

Perhaps, after the complainers have finished their business on whatever soi they were most recently “serviced”, they should consider the kind of area that they are in and what kind of taxi drivers are waiting to screw them (a second time) and then find their way to a local BTS station.  Or are they too embarrassed when all eyes are on them as they get on the BTS at Nana?

Which one of the Avengers are you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Thanks for sharing. The main problem is also when tourists take a cab from BKK airport to town, they have no choice after a long flight and have just arrived at the airport where the disgusting cheating and meter refusal is done at it's full...Bangkok airport arrivals area  is obviously a "touristy area" as you say,  but difficult to just walk away with all your luggage after a long flight and look for a "non touristy" area around Suvarnabhumi....and to take the rail link MRT is not convenient with luggage, jet lag on arrival and for the further connections to the hotel.

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Apart from the overtly moralistic stance of yours, i think you have a good point here.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Thanks for sharing. The main problem is also when tourists take a cab from BKK airport to town, they have no choice after a long flight and have just arrived at the airport where the disgusting cheating and meter refusal is done at it's full...Bangkok airport arrivals area  is obviously a "touristy area" as you say,  but difficult to just walk away with all your luggage after a long flight and look for a "non touristy" area around Suvarnabhumi....and to take the rail link MRT is not convenient with luggage, jet lag on arrival and for the further connections to the hotel.

I’ve never had a problem coming from the airport

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Apart from the overtly moralistic stance of yours, i think you have a good point here.

It was meant to be somewhat tongue in cheek.  I’m certainly not one of the virtue signallers here on TV.

• Like 1

I’ve never had a problem coming from the airport

I have to agree. When getting a taxi from the taxi stand at BKK I have never had the driver try to not use the meter, and they have to agree to take you before you get in, and finally, the taxi stand has a record of your name and the corresponding taxi number if complaints are registered.

Of course I’ve never been smart enough to get one of the taxis from departures, so I can’t speak to that...
  • Like 1