Thai-Laos Bridge To Vientiane — Latest transport?

Hello All,

I’ll be traveling from Nongkai to Ventiane to stay for a new visa application. If I arrive 5 pm at the Thai border, will I be able to secure transport across the bridge? What if I arrive 6 pm? When do the buses run from that point across and are there other options to cross if not? 

Thank you for any replies! 

TR

Buses are very frequent. 20 baht and just jump on and in ten minutes your in laos. 

Vientiane bridge to Vientiane centre. Max pay is 200 baht.(taxi) You will be quoted 400. Could be cheaper if you share a cab with other people.

If travelling to nong khai by train. 40 baht Tuk Tuk max to the bridge from station.

After clearing Lao imigration look to the right,near car park for Public bus # 14 runs from just outside Lao immigration at the Friendship Bridge to the Talaat Sao bus station in downtown Vientiane.
There is a bus every half hour or so during daytime, takes about 30-40 mins and the fare is 5000 kip (20 baht).Not sure what time this service finishes,as I have only use it mornings.

11 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

I’ll be traveling from Nongkai to Ventiane to stay for a new visa application. If I arrive 5 pm at the Thai border, will I be able to secure transport across the bridge?

The bridge is open until 10 pm. The buses run until then. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NamH2O said:

After clearing Lao imigration look to the right,near car park for Public bus # 14 runs from just outside Lao immigration at the Friendship Bridge to the Talaat Sao bus station in downtown Vientiane.
There is a bus every half hour or so during daytime, takes about 30-40 mins and the fare is 5000 kip (20 baht).Not sure what time this service finishes,as I have only use it mornings.

NamH20 is correct, there is a bus to the Central bus station from the bridge, the price is now 8,000 Kip (they will take 40 baht if you don't have Kip).

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Ubonjoe is also correct, the buses run while the bridge is open 6.00 am to 10.0pm

If you are getting a Lao visa on arrival pay with dollars (UK citizen 35 dollars but it varies with different nationalities) as they charge 1,500 baht ( which is more than 45 dollars) . If you arrive before 8.00am or after 4.00pm they will charge an extra dollar. 

Good to know, PREM-R, but at least it's still an option. Adding entire extra dollar seems very logical and rational. I am sure it was a meticulously calculated amount based on extensive auditing.

Any idea how early you can arrive, pass across, and get the Laos visa?

In my experience it can be difficult to find a hotel in Vientiane after dark.  After having to deal with that a few times my visa run routine was to stay in Nong Kai for the night and do the crossing early morning.  There's a night time street eatery on the main drag that does good bbq chicken and somtam, hearty eats after a day of traveling.

And DO NOT let the tuktuk driver bs you about how you need to go to a "visa office" before you can cross the border. 

23 hours ago, PREM-R said:

If you arrive before 8.00am or after 4.00pm they will charge an extra dollar. 

On weekends and public holidays also an extra dollar.

I wonder if it's 2 dollars on an holiday after 4pm?

50 minutes ago, jackdd said:

On weekends and public holidays also an extra dollar.

I wonder if it's 2 dollars on an holiday after 4pm?

No Jack, they charge just one dollar extra at weekends at all times, however, they also charge 50 baht on leaving on Saturday or Sunday for foreigners who have paid for a visa, usually you get the exit card for free but at the weekend you have to pay.  

To the OP, if you are considering arriving at the Thai side of the bridge at opening time (6.00 am) be aware that on Mondays and Thursdays there are 'Visa run' buses taking their customers to Vientiane consulate and the area around the bridge is extremely busy.   The problem is that the Thai immigration don't provide any extra staff , even though they must know that there will be a 'glut' of people passing through on these days. 

I made the mistake of going over at 6.00am last Thursday, of the six available immigration stations, only three were manned, one by what seemed to be a trainee with a senior officer standing behind him.  The whole process of exiting Thailand took about 45 minutes when it usually takes about 5 minutes.  Strangely, getting my visa on arrival at the Lao side was probably the fastest I have ever experienced, about 5 minutes from handing in my passport and papers to walking away with the visa, it often takes 15 - 30 minutes even when there does not seem to be much activity at the border, maybe the Lao immigration have extra staff on Mondays and Thursdays.

For those who are very lazy or indeed those who are disabled or too old to climb the high steps into the bus crossing the bridge, there are always the Thai taxi drivers on both sides of the bridge who will bring you across for a price - haggle hard if you take up this option!

Just to follow up on previous posts. The last bus (green buses provided by the Japanese) usually leaves around 7 pm and stops just short of Talet Sao, the ,fare is now 7,000 kip so they might want 25 Baht - songteo's and taxis usually hang around until late. So you should be ok to obtain your visa. As stated make sure you have $US. Also, when you arrive at Nong Khai immigration, on the bus over to Laos and at Lao immigration, have a look around to see if there are other foreigners with whom you could share a taxi. Just now Vientiane is quiet so you should have no problem finding accommodation in the city  centre - try not to stay near the Thai consulate as you might find it a bit dull. Also, to submit your application, go to the Thai consulate after 11 a.m. and you will be in and out in a few minutes, if you go early you will simply join a massive queue and be sat for hours. You will receive a queue number so if it is 150 plus don't bother going to the Thai consulate until around 3 pm on the following afternoon to collect your passport. On collection and departure from the Consulate, you will be approached by taxi drivers for your trip back to the Friendship Bridge - again, whilst you are waiting for your passport try and team up with someone who is also travelling back. Have a good trip.

On 6/20/2018 at 9:35 AM, PREM-R said:

NamH20 is correct, there is a bus to the Central bus station from the bridge, the price is now 8,000 Kip (they will take 40 baht if you don't have Kip).

Ubonjoe is also correct, the buses run while the bridge is open 6.00 am to 10.0pm

If you are getting a Lao visa on arrival pay with dollars (UK citizen 35 dollars but it varies with different nationalities) as they charge 1,500 baht ( which is more than 45 dollars) . If you arrive before 8.00am or after 4.00pm they will charge an extra dollar. 

Make sure your bills are new, no tears , writing etc

I live in Vientiane and I have been commuting for over 8 years and in that time I have never seen a green bus depart the Bridge after 7.30 p.m. I used to do my drinking on Thadeua Road (the main road from the Bridge into Vientiane ) and the only buses we saw after 7.30 were the last green bus around 7.45, the Khon Kaen and Udon Thani international buses shortly after 8.00. That said there was some talk recently about buses running until 10 p.m., but as far as I am aware no additional services have been timetabled. Of course, there is the new airport bus and the last bus from the airport is 10.20 p.m. and it runs through town to Talat Sao. My apologies about the fare, you are correct it is 8,000 Kip. Recently, fares rose by either 1,000 or 2.000 Kip. Also, please be aware (and I know this from personal experience) that sometimes Lao immigration might close before 10 p.m. and you might not be able to obtain a Lao visa and they might try to send you back to the Thai side.  Although the bridge opens at 6.a.m., you will probably find Lao immigration does not get going until 6.45. However as the OP states he will arrive around 5.00 p.m. there should be no problems.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:45 AM, ubonjoe said:

UJ is correct, however I was dropping some of the wives relatives off at the bridge one night at around 9pm and two foreigners asked me for a ride to downtown NongKhai, it seems they were trying to cross the bridge and the Thai authorities would not let them because the Visa on Arrival office on the Lao side was closed. I'm not sure what the Lao Visa on Arrival's normal office hours are, but you will certainly not have any problems at 5 or 6pm

Edited by Lee4Life

Seems we are talking about the different bus routes.

Yes,buses from Thai immigration across the bridge to Lao immigration will run until almost 10 p.m.. However, as I say the buses from Lao Immigration to downtown Vientiane stop around 7.15 p.m. There are of course songtoes and taxis, both of which up their fares after 9 p.m. Yes, no travelling over the bridge at night - I know as I have tried and was stopped by Thai immigration. 

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are the best days to apply for the visa - regarding supporting documents make sure you also have a copy of your passport page with the Thai exit and Lao entry stamps.If not, they will ask you to go get a copy in the main building 2,000 Kip, and, of course, Thai Baht for the visa fee. Best of luck!

jica green bus into vientien is now 8000 kip but the barstool also stung me 10000 kip to pull my large bag out of the side of the bus storage compartment. he was stinging other people along the way for this too not sure how much he charge them though. still considerably better than the tuktuk option

https://lao.busnavi.asia/?lang=en

this has realtime bus locations. there is also an android app, tracks all the jica buses in vientien
should be able to use it at the bridge on your thai AIS connected phone, once again it keeps you out of the clutches of the tuktuk rip off mafia. still have to walk to thai consulate which isnt too far from the central bus station 20 minutes walk should do it (turn left at the wat)
AIS also connects near the river in central vientiane

Edited by HowFatIsUrDog

going back to thailand from vientien, i recommend using the cross border buses that start from the central bus station across from morning plaza. fairly certain you cant jump these buses anywhere along the way , can only get it from that terminus. separate buses go to nong khai, udon thani, and khon kaen.
for farang, last i asked you cant jump these buses in thailand to go to laos unless you have a pre issued laos visa
going back to thailand is no problem with or without a visa