So I ordered a laptop over 40000 baht from Amazon..

leeroll

I decided to go for it and order a laptop for about 1700 USD on Amazon and paid the deposit to them as well for tax and whatnot..

The day it came to Suvarnabhumi, DHL messages me that thai customs law require import license for product over 40000 thai baht.. 

I was told this "You can come to suvarnabhumi airport for registration import license with thai customs by provide original passport for yourself. (Free of charge)."

Have anyone faced anything like this? What does it mean for me to give them my passport and register for import license? 

Appreciate any input about this!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Free of charge? In Thailand? I would not bet on that.

Agree with that 

I once went to the Customs Depo at the airport & the first thing I had to do was pay the hoarders around the entrance a 1000 bht for handling the paper work & to get item.

Then I went inside & to deal with duty costs & between me & Customs officer I not know who was peed of the most (my wife told me Customs were )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, leeroll said:

Its a Razer Laptop which they don't sell in Thailand, atleast not the latest one.

Thanks for the input.. I will report back if I had to do any shady dealings..

Thanks leeroll

Looking forward to a further report, I've thought about ordering from Amazon myself.

1 minute ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

The big question is did you buy from amazon directly or a 3rd party?

Amazon will definitely refund you everything including all the fees if you reject the package. Their export program  guarantees that you won't face any additional charges whatsoever.

The customs will not return the packaged, you have to get it out from the customs before you can return it. 

1 minute ago, joealx said:

DHL will retrieve it from customs and return it.

I tried that, but the msg was that the custom will not release the order, thats why DHL made the license for me. DHL told me that the custom dont release package without the proper paper, even if it was to be returned. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rawairat said:

My son bought a Razer phone thru amazon which was faulty, they offered to take it back and refund my money, not postage and import duties. They would then sell me another if I paid all the postage and duties again. 

I wrote a bad review on Amazon which was not posted because you are only allowed to comment on the item, not Amazon’s poor service. That is done through Amazon and not for public viewing, except on other social media sites which I have been doing. After many emails back and forth I refuse to buy anything from amazon. We eventually sourced one through Thailand.

I can’t remember the slogan printed on every amazon email something about listening to the customer. At one stage in the emails they replied about the Razer phone;

If you do not wish to return the shoes to us, I'd recommend consulting your owner's manual and/or contacting the manufacturer to see if the problem in question is covered by the manufacturer's warranty.”

Great company and great support?

Yes Amazons customer service is among the worst you will find

• Like 2

Both Amazon and eBay's global shipping  program states "no additional custom fees or taxes"

Apple has the same arrangement. I ordered from Amazon last month and this month as well with no issues. I have ordered from Apple numerous times.. no issues.. The difference is both Amazon and Apple sent my items via UPS. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EirikJohannesen said:

I ordered a surface PRO 4 I7 with all, pen, keyboard and ARC Mouse close to 100.000 Baht, from Amazon, DHL did all the import license work for me, I got my import fee deposit back two days ago 300 US back. I paid DHL 1800 Baht for doing the License it was no problem, but I had to mail the DHL head office.

You get the service you pay for I guess

• Like 1

18 hours ago, leeroll said:

Its a Razer Laptop which they don't sell in Thailand, atleast not the latest one.

Thanks for the input.. I will report back if I had to do any shady dealings..

And Razer is so much better than anything else on the market here in Thailand? I doubt that VERY much.

• Thanks 1