Crossed w/o Thai Departure Card, Curious about Officer's Question

Hello, 

This afternoon when crossing through the Nongkhai immigration office (border), I had to request a departure card because I had lost mine. Seeing me fill out a replacement card, a freestanding officer asked to look through my passport and then asked in a stern voice if I had passed through some times before to renew my visa. I stated it was the first time, and he jotted some things on the card and let me go on my way. Why did he ask that question? Would it have mattered if it weren't the first time? Is passing through more than once, even twice, a cause for denial of re-entry sometimes? Does this branch even have that function? 

Thanks, 

TR

Edited by ThaiRebound

18 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

Would it have mattered if it weren't the first time? Is passing through more than once, even twice, a cause for denial of re-entry sometimes?

Max. two enterings on land border per calendar year WITHOUT visa.

Are you actually going to get a new visa at the Thai consulate in Vientiane as you write "renew my visa"?

Edited by KhunBENQ

9 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Max. two enterings on land border per calendar year WITHOUT visa.

Are you actually going to get a new visa at the Thai consulate in Vientiane as you write "renew my visa"? 

Yes, I have a 60-day SETV. I have added 30 days in Udon Thani. Do I not have to do that in order to get another 60 days + 30 day extension again? I was told at UT immigration office I could only get 30 days extension if I cross border and back into Thailand. Truthfully, I don't have much faith in their knowledge. 

Edited by ThaiRebound

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

If I understand you right: yes, you have to get a new SETV at Vientiane to manage another 90 days (60 + 30).

Got it. Well, thanks for the added info about land crossing entries per calendar year. This will be my first, as I flew in originally. Would not having the departure card given to me at the airport impact that or anything? 

2 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:
2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

If I understand you right: yes, you have to get a new SETV at Vientiane to manage another 90 days (60 + 30).

Got it. Well, thanks for the added info about land crossing entries per calendar year. This will be my first, as I flew in originally. Would not having the departure card given to me at the airport impact that or anything? 

Just to clarify, the two entries by land per calendar year only applies if entering Thailand without a visa. If you go to Vientiane for a tourist visa before re-entering Thailand, your entry using a visa does not count against the 2 entry limit.