Usb / mac / music / Ford

NE1

I have a Usb drive with a lot of music on that I want to play in my Ford. It doesn't matter what I format the thumb drive to , it will not play in the car.2050789770_ScreenShot2018-07-06at17_18_48.png.7a7a6d42bf6835cf1331d781b6a9a7be.png

These are my options , I have tried the bottom two and the Mac OS Extended( Journaled ) but to no avail.  All my tunes are mp3.

I used the thumb drive in the vehicle yesterday , and took it out to delete some old music .

Now I am stuck.....any help please.

• Haha 1

Just now, suzannegoh said:

If your Ford is like ours, it will only play WAV and MP3 files, not FLAC nor any Apple formats, and if the WAV files are tagged you'll get a giant popping sound at the end of each song.

He mentioned that his songs are in Mp3 format, so its best to assume this is true.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:
12 minutes ago, robblok said:
He mentioned that his songs are in Mp3 format, so its best to assume this is true.

If they are mp3 and the drive is formatted FAT32, then they should play unless there's a problem with either the drive, the player, or the files.

That is why i suggested he let someone with a windows computer put some songs on an USB stick so he could check if that works. Then at least we can rule out faults in drive or operation of the car its systems. 

• Like 2

I found it cheaper to buy a new thumb drive rather than a " real computer " Deli.

And this thumb drive is okay.  Because I had used the thumb drive in the vehicle for a number of years , I assumed it was the format.

Oh well , thanks for your input peeps.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

try formatting the USB drive into FAT32

Try reading this - it will work.   

Insert thumb drive in to Mac

Format in Disk Utilty to MS DOS FAT (microsoft lingo that even your Ford can read)

Upload music to thumb drive again and off you go

No cost

Sorry for my poor English, but I am trying my best.

First, look at your USB stick. There are many cheap and also fake USB sticks for sale in Thailand so beware.(fake word I have learn from Trump)

Second if you have a lot of mp3 files, it's very possible that your radio will play them all ( even when you erase all the tags from the mp3);

so what you must do is to make maps, for example call it map 1 map 2 and so on and don't put more than 80 mp3 files in one map . Automatically if the radio has played the first 80 songs, it will switch to map 2, map 3, etc...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Have  you  tried  a different  usb input? If  it  works then  consider  your  several years  old  thumb  has a  problem.If  that fails completely  disconnect  power  supply  to your   car player for a  few minutes. Easiest  way is to  disconnect the  car  battery. Only side issue to that is  to reset  the   car  clock time. Then  reconnect and  try again. I have  has  same issue a few times. I think it  may have something to do with the  "read"  memory (  if  your player  has it).

With  mine  it  seems to  retain it  even after  removing  the  usb which 99%  of the  time  sets  it  back to a  new  "read".

Another glitch that has had  me guessing was when adding or changing music that a random non readable format file or  corrupted file that the  changes sneaked  in there  stopped my   player.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Deli said:

Throw the Apple outta the window and buy a real computer. It will work 4 sure

Trade in the Ford for a real car. Fix Or Repair Daily is more than an acronym.

I have a 2gb mini thumb drive that I downloaded my Amazon music onto by using the usb port on my laptop.  I have Ford Sync and when I inserted the drive into the aux. usb port the first time, I just pressed <aux> then <source> usb device.  Sync located the device, read it and asked how I wanted it played. I selected random and it played. Now, all I do after plugging in the drive is select input <aux>. 

indeed maybe your usb stick is too  big in memory and the player cant handle it, try a usb stick with less memory.

maybe 4 instead of 16 or 8 gb. Or buy a new car radio, probably yours is old?

See you did format in exfat, so than it has to be compatible with your device, if its too old it can handle exfat. Mostly used for bigger memory cards. Even my huawei p10 cant handle it, i asked them about it. I asked for the right card to use in it and wasnt the new exfat cards (big memory).  i wished i knew before, i never would have bought it. Its all about licenses to use from Microsoft. IN the shop they told me i could, but i red about problems with it on internet, then it works and then it doesnt.  

so go back to less mem and try again, formatted not in exfat but fat32

On 7/6/2018 at 5:39 PM, robblok said:

With regular windows computers I have never had a problem to format an USB stick and use it in my ford. So it must be an Apple thing. 

Unless of course your doing something wrong in the car.. try to get someone to give you a windows formatted usb stick with some music and try again. At least then you can exclude the fact if your doing something wrong in the car or not. If you have excluded that then for sure it has something to do with formatting. 

No problem also with any Benz or BM, on REAL computers, not useless toys for geeks...

?

7 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

indeed maybe your usb stick is too  big in memory and the player cant handle it, try a usb stick with less memory.

maybe 4 instead of 16 or 8 gb. Or buy a new car radio, probably yours is old?

See you did format in exfat, so than it has to be compatible with your device, if its too old it can handle exfat. Mostly used for bigger memory cards. Even my huawei p10 cant handle it, i asked them about it. I asked for the right card to use in it and wasnt the new exfat cards (big memory).  i wished i knew before, i never would have bought it. Its all about licenses to use from Microsoft. IN the shop they told me i could, but i red about problems with it on internet, then it works and then it doesnt.  

so go back to less mem and try again, formatted not in exfat but fat32

I don't know if it would help for his Ford but there is a solution for your Huawei p10.  The Huawei's problem is most likely not that the card is too big but that it's not formatted in FAT32 and Windows will not let you format drives larger than 32GB.  However that 32GB limit comes from Microsoft, not from the FAT32 spec, FAT32 can actually support up to 16TB hard drives if you use third party software to do the formatting. One such thirst party utility that is the commandline utility fat32format.exe available from http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm  Using that may allow your Huawei to use any size SD Card that you want.