Korean complains after Pattaya taxi steals his bag and valuables

webfact

Korean complains after Pattaya taxi steals his bag and valuables

By The Nation

A Korean businessman filed a complaint with police late on Tuesday night, charging that a taxi driver had fled with his bag containing cash, a passport and credit cards.

Muang Chon Buri police were informed of theft at 11.45pm and rushed to meet the Korean, Sangyong Jong (not official spelling), 25, at a gas station on the Chon Buri bypass road in Tambon Nong Mai Daeng in Muang district.

The businessman said he hired the taxi from Pattaya to Bangkok and when the taxi arrived at the gas station, the driver said he would refill gas.

The businessman said he used a toilet and came out to find that the taxi has left with his bag. He said his bag had a wallet with Bt4,000 cash inside, a tablet computer, his passport, credit cards and several documents. He said the assets were worth about Bt100,000.

The patrol policeman took the Korean to register his complaint at the Muang police station.

The Korean told police that all the documents were very important to him.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30349840

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-11

59 minutes ago, colinneil said:

A taxi driver stealing, surely a mistake, as all taxi drivers are good, honest upstanding citizens.:cheesy:

Get ready for tomorrows headline....... Honest taxi driver returns bag containing 100000 baht and documents.

it's true though 555 almost guaranteed

• Haha 1

On my second trip to Thailand I arrived in Bangkok at about 1AM.  Took a taxi from the airport to Pattaya.  About 30 minutes into the trip the taxi pulled into a dimly lit gas station.  he went inside, maybe the toilet, or to buy some cigs, don't know.  came out, put some fuel in and off we went.  I have to say I was a bit nervous as I waited there on some road at 2 in the morning.  I happen to have been quite fit and able looking at the time so maybe that helped deter any bad things from happening.  I kind of understand the cabbie not keeping his vehicle gassed up and needed a customer to get new money for gas.  Gave me a bit of more possible understanding of things there

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well, I always have important documents in a smaller bag and don't leave it in the car in such situations. Not blaming the victim but isn't that basic common sense? 

It is common sense, but doesn't seem to be common practice!  I sometimes wear my silk money belt which is basically invisible and tucked under my shirt.  But I definitely wear my old fashioned small fanny pack with the small pack holding all my important documents again, tucked under my shirt and in my front.  Passport, cash, spare credit card, etc.  And my wallet is in my pocket that has button downs under a flap which makes it hard at times for me to even get to!  It won't fall out anywhere.

A few years ago, my buddy from the USA who at the time was staying in Thailand on each trip for 90 days or more, left 10K USD in cash in his vest wallet in the lobby of the Hotel in Pattaya.  The Diana Inn as I recall.  We arrived on separate flights and were supposed to meet and stay there.  When I got there, and got my thai phone working we got in contact and he told me what he had done and how later in the day his wallet was returned and was only missing what he called a 600 USD finders fee!  Hey, at least he got most back. I guess the finders figured they could take just enough so that a police report would not be filed, cameras checked, etc.

I wonder if any mug shots of the offending thieving toerags will match-up with the mugshots of the taxi drivers returning belongings!  

I don't expect there to be a data base anywhere; TAT'll already have that glitch covered, for sure.  That'd open a can of worms though, wouldn't it!

Edited by Moti24