With Thai soccer team freed, Hollywood gears up for the movie

webfact

With Thai soccer team freed, Hollywood gears up for the movie

By Lisa Richwine

2018-07-11T052449Z_1_LYNXMPEE6A0CN_RTROPTP_3_THAILAND-ACCIDENT-CAVE.JPG

Rescue personnel walk in a cave at the Tham Luang cave complex during a mission to evacuate the remaining members of a soccer team trapped inside, in Chiang Rai, Thailand July 9, 2018, in this photo obtained from social media. MANDATORY CREDIT. Twitter @elonmusk/via REUTERS THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. NO RESALES. NO ARCHIVES MANDATORY CREDIT. TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY - RC1BC2B4E200

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The dramatic rescue of a Thai boys soccer team and their coach from a flooded cave complex this week transfixed news viewers around the world for more than two weeks, and the story is already headed for a retelling by Hollywood.

Divers freed the last four of the 12 boys and their adult coach on Tuesday.

The saga is reminiscent of the 2010 rescue of 33 Chilean miners who were trapped for 69 days, a tale that was turned into the 2015 movie "The 33" starring Antonio Banderas.

2018-07-11T052449Z_1_LYNXMPEE6A0CM_RTROPTP_3_THAILAND-ACCIDENT-CAVE.JPG

Microphones belonging to media organizations are pictured during a news conference at the Chiang Rai Prachanukroh hospital, in Chiang Rai, Thailand, July 10, 2018. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha - RC1DE72D6DB0

Two production companies are now looking to put together movies about the Thai soccer team rescue.

Thailand’s Navy, whose SEAL unit led the rescue, and the Thai government have selected Ivanhoe Pictures to develop a film that would be directed by John M. Chu, the president of Ivanhoe Pictures, John Penotti, said in a statement.

Ivanhoe Pictures, which has offices in the United States and in Asia, focuses on Asia and North America. It is the co-producer of the upcoming film "Crazy Rich Asians," based on the novel by Kevin Kwan and directed by Chu.

"I refuse to let Hollywood #whitewashout the Thai Cave rescue story!" Chu, who was born in California and has Chinese heritage, tweeted.

"There’s a beautiful story abt human beings saving other human beings. So anyone thinking abt the story better approach it right & respectfully," added Chu.

The other company looking to develop a movie on the event is U.S.-based Pure Flix, which specializes in Christian and family films.

Pure Flix co-founder Michael Scott, who lives in Thailand part of the year, said producers from his company were on the ground interviewing rescue workers for a potential film. He said his wife grew up with Samarn Poonan, the former Thai navy SEAL who died during the mission.

"It's Thai, Westerners, Europeans, Aussies - people from all over the world who helped bring these kids to safety," Scott told Reuters.

"I think there is a worldwide appeal which I think will inspire millions across the globe."

Like the Chilean rescue, the Thai drama showcases real-life courage in the face of harrowing circumstances, said Mike Medavoy, the Oscar-nominated producer of "The 33."

"It's about the triumphs of individuals and groups of human beings over tragedy," Medavoy said. "It's a terrific story."

Bringing the Thai drama to the screen faces hurdles, however.

First, filmmakers need to secure the rights from each of the boys' families, the coach, and any rescuers they want to portray in order to get their firsthand accounts of what happened. The boys range in age from 11 to 16.

And replicating the rescue on screen could be costly.

"The 33" was filmed in Colombia and Chile and produced for about $24 million. A movie about the Thai rescue could be made for less, Medavoy said, because filming in Thailand is cheaper.

But the rescue in murky water presents an added challenge.

"The water and scuba diving scenes would be expensive," said Judi Farkas, the literary agent who represented author Antonio Mendez on the film rights sale of his book "Argo" for the Oscar-winning movie. "Any time you film in water it's expensive."

In addition, a big-screen production likely would take years to bring to theatres, and producers would have to decide if interest will remain once the story fades from the headlines, Medavoy said.

"The 33" brought in $24.9 million at theatres worldwide, according to Box Office Mojo, just slightly more than its production budget.

The Thai rescue may also draw interest from TV networks, which could provide a quicker path to the screen.

In the meantime, news programming is feeding public appetite for the story.

On Tuesday, U.S. television network ABC aired a special edition of "20/20" focused on the mission, and the Discovery Channel announced it would air a one-hour documentary on Friday.

(Reporting by Lisa Richwine in Los Angeles; Additional reporting by Panu Wongcha-um; in Chiang Rai, Thailand; Editing by Bill Tarrant and Leslie Adler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-07-12

And all such proceeds should go to the diver that passed away saving a bunch of kids that should have know better.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The other company looking to develop a movie on the event is U.S.-based Pure Flix, which specializes in Christian and family films.

Note the ''Christian'' part - this was people with skills developed by man that saved the kids. Pure guts and balls. Not some pie in the sky stuff. One Hundred years ago, we would not have had such skill to save these boys. They would have starved to death.

I will give credit that they were strong enough to stay alive for rescue to come but if not found for a month or more and the bigs rains had come, they most likely would not have made it.

Very, very lucky...

Will the Hollywood blockbuster have scenes where the kids split into two lots and have fights among themselves to see who will be the leader

( Lord of the flies way ) can't have scenes showing 12 or so days of them sitting quietly, meditating, using only one torch a day and sharing out the food and waiting patiently for rescue. USA audiences wouldn't understand that.

When the first diver appears they will have to jump and down, shout and cheer and stuff their faces with the hot burgers the divers somehow managed to get to them using some amazing piece of gear designed by a rich person.

Think I'll give it a miss.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

it will be all American hero's dangling from ropes from a black hawk, a race against time as a volcano is about to blow due to an earthquake that rattles through the cave sending a tsunami to the boys who are being held hostage by terrorists armed to the teeth with Ak47's which are no match for the USA seals armed with M16's, in order to carry extra ammo they do without air cylinders, ''We is experts'' they say, ''we don't need air cylinders, we are full of hot air''

Tom Cruise will be bending over backwards to be at the centre of this!

3 minutes ago, Creasy said:

Robert DeNiro to play Prayut and Danny DeVito to play Prawit

Made me laugh. But the sad bit to this is the Government has negotiated with Hollywood. What does that really mean. Deputy Police Commissioner gets another $6 million, Interior Minister gets a bite, The Prime Minister has a very big bite, while Benny gets a new watch that he won't declare as it was only on loan.

The boys will get new soccer balls?

When is the election. Hope the x-Governor of Chiang Rai runs.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

I hope this project will get cancelled. Thay are Christian missionaries trying to convince the world Jesus is our Lord. Does not make sense in a Buddhist country . They try to convert Buddhists 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

What a circus. Pisses me off.

Me too!

I ride by the hospital on my home from work everyday and dozens of media with video taking endless footage of a static building. Are they looking for a wave out the window for that "priceless" moment. 

Give these kids and the families a break.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

Its not going to easy for them to find enough Thais that speak English to a acceptable level,

They always manage to find some Americans who can speak English so Thai's shouldn't be a problem. The big problem will be who is going to play Trump as the diver who discovers the boys then takes control of operations, he needn't speak good English though but must have a stupid grin.

37 minutes ago, balo said:

I hope this project will get cancelled. Thay are Christian missionaries trying to convince the world Jesus is our Lord. Does not make sense in a Buddhist country . They try to convert Buddhists 

It's never too late for the holy ghost, one more here won't make any difference.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Its not going to easy for them to find enough Thais that speak English to a acceptable level,

That's a load of crap.

You can't believe there are 12 kids and one 25 year old in all of Thailand who couldn't speak English?

Plus the movie could simply have the Thai actors speaking Thai with subtitles.

I prefer WW2 movies where Germans speak their own language with subtitles than a bunch of Brits playing the Germans.

• Like 2

Rambo 5. Rescue a bunch of kids from a cave, while 'Charlie' [the media scrum] try to get at them. Rambo's done caves before, so no problem there. Bring back Trautman too, he was great. 'Is that you Johnny?' 'Talk to me Johnny'.   [Yes I know, he passed away a couple of years ago.]

Edited by Jeremy50
spelling
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, seajae said:

pathetic, at least they should have the decency to let the survivors get over the event and the family of the diver mourn his loss, again we see how little respect the govt has for the people of Thailand when they can see money to be made

Not enough in it boring movie. Another pipe dream sorry this ship won't float

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Bug_er me, that didn't take long. 

Wonder what the fictional Hollywood version will look like?

And who will make the money from it? 

It's going to be a thrilling rescue BASED on a real life story.

14 kids and the coach. 2 kids go into the cave because of a rumor about buried treasure from 800 years ago. Coach finds out and knows that this is dangerous but goes into the cave to get the boys. The other 12 see that a downpour has started to flood the cave entrance and heroically go to inform the coach. This way the original 12 and coach are portrayed in a very positive light.

Need an antagonist that hinders the rescue but this is tricky because of Thai laws.

A Super Typhoon approaches, the worst in recorded history. Damn global warming at it again.

Super Musk to the rescue. Since Musk is a media and Hollywood favorite, his invention saves everyone just as the Super Typhoon strikes.

Rescue takes 6 days. 2 weeks is too long to maintain suspense.

I haven't figured out where they add the sex scenes but they'll add those somewhere.

1 minute ago, JerseytoBKK said:

14 kids and the coach. 2 kids go into the cave because of a rumor about buried treasure from 800 years ago. Coach finds out and knows that this is dangerous but goes into the cave to get the boys. The other 12 see that a downpour has started to flood the cave entrance and heroically go to inform the coach. This way the original 12 and coach are portrayed in a very positive light.

Need an antagonist that hinders the rescue but this is tricky because of Thai laws.

A Super Typhoon approaches, the worst in recorded history. Damn global warming at it again.

Super Musk to the rescue. Since Musk is a media and Hollywood favorite, his invention saves everyone just as the Super Typhoon strikes.

I haven't figured out where they add the sex scenes but they'll add those somewhere.

We need stormy Daniels and Trump 

I have been able to see the script for the movie and it looks very good.
Although, some twist to the real story were made to dramatise the movie.

1. The rescue mission starts with a Buddhist Thai monk telling everybody from a high rock that he spoke with Buddha on the phone and that the kids will be save (like Mozes telling his folks when he received the 12 commandements).
2. The rescue mission starts and Elon Musk comes in with his shuttle.
    "No problem" Elon Says.
    "You can pay for the shuttle with PayPal".
3. The PM composed a new version of the national hymne to let everybody know that he is doing something.
    The new version is a Ballade of the Hymn in "Minor" tone.
4. Finally, an English diver makes it to the football team boys and a boy shout in very good English "What took you so long?"
    "Did England made it to the final of the worldcup?"
5. At that moment, the English diver takes his phone and calls the rest of the rescue team "We are all ready Scotty".
    "You can beam us up now."

6. The rescue diver and the football team are beamed out of the cave and appear a flash later in the hospital.

11 hours ago, JerseytoBKK said:

Hero american son of Rambo falls in love with a Somtam vendor at the cave mouth, she has been in the cave before so son of Rambo insists she will be part of the team. They fall in love.

After they rescue the kids they go to live in her village and on the first night son of Rambo finds out she is a he. 

Last movie scene is son of Rambo walking 'slowly' away, scene changes to Somtam seller weeping and then screen slowly fades.

End.