After a new DSLR in Bangkok

I am looking at buying a new Canon DSLR, have been eyeing off the full frame models but still arent convinced they are the way to go. I was looking at the 6D with the 24/70 lens(has macro setting as well) plus a 50mm lens also. I use my cameras mainly for raw image pics of my plumeria/frangipnai, I do cross pollination to create new varieties and need to take raw image to register them.  I dont really need a big zoom so the 24/70mm with macro would be suitable for any other basic pics I need to do and a 50mm would be the main one used for all the work pics. 

The full frames dont have built in flash which would mean having to buy a flash unit as well but they are not that expensive, already have a good tripod(Slik)  I bought for my current camera(Fuji HS59EXR), I need to upgrade so I can use  higher quality single mm lense and a higher pixel count, Canon raw image is also easier to use with most of the software available these days.

I have looked online for a good shop to buy from but would appreciate any help or suggestions of best place to buy from in Bangkok, also any thoughts on models etc for what I want it for, always interested in other photographers input on camera gear too, Thanks guys

On 7/27/2018 at 9:53 PM, ThaiBob said:

All the big camera shops sell Canons but fotofile at MBK has competitive pricing. 

https://www.fotofile.co.th

Both Nikon and Canon will be releasing models shortly to compete with Sony FF mirrorless( A7 and A7r) so it may be to your advantage to delay your decision if possible. 

thanks mate, appreciate that, will probably be looking at buying as new one early in the new year so hopefully the new models will be out.

Why a full frame camera ? An APS-C camera such as nikon's D7200 or 7500 DSLRs, or whatever the Canon equivalent is nowadays, should be plenty for your needs. I know you seem to be set on a Canon, but my D7200 DSLR takes great pictures in RAW and is a lot cheaper than a full frame camera, so perhaps have a look at the Canon APS-C range. I also have an older full frame D800 but that is just too big and heavy to carry around, and the extra megapixels from that camera are rarely needed. I would also strongly suggest a ring flash for flower photos, not a conventional flash gun.

If you are going to buy in BKk I suggest going to the 5th floor of MBK, or the 2nd(?) floor of Fortune town malls, both have lots of camera shops so makes for an easy comparison.

37 minutes ago, Mickmick said:

Why a full frame camera ? An APS-C camera such as nikon's D7200 or 7500 DSLRs, or whatever the Canon equivalent is nowadays, should be plenty for your needs. I know you seem to be set on a Canon, but my D7200 DSLR takes great pictures in RAW and is a lot cheaper than a full frame camera, so perhaps have a look at the Canon APS-C range. I also have an older full frame D800 but that is just too big and heavy to carry around, and the extra megapixels from that camera are rarely needed. I would also strongly suggest a ring flash for flower photos, not a conventional flash gun.

If you are going to buy in BKk I suggest going to the 5th floor of MBK, or the 2nd(?) floor of Fortune town malls, both have lots of camera shops so makes for an easy comparison.

thanks mate, was advised a full frame for what I do will give me better shots as I can see exactly what I want in the frame, the reason I said canon is that I have also been advised that canon raw image works better with most of the software, the other thing is the selection of canon lenses is a lot better. Most of my work will be close in stuff, my current HS50 EXR doesnt have the pixel count that makes the pics really good and I really need to be able to use specialized lenses, as you said price wise I am looking at around 90,000 baht to get the canon set up but dont really want to spend that much so may have to have a big re think. While I do need a better pixel count I will not be using it that often I can really get the use that a 90,000 baht set up should have, nikon has always been one camera I like beside canon so it will require a bit more work before I really decide, I need to set which lenses are more important then look at matching cameras

I myself am considering doing more macro photography. I suggest the OP carefully research macro photography and may wish to carefully review his requirements. I do not fully understand his needs or goals for a FF setup and the advice he has received is debatable and certainly a topic for lively discussion on photography forums. 

"a full frame for what I do will give me better shots as I can see exactly what I want in the frame"

presumably you mean viewfinder coverage ? Well, my Nikon D7200 has 99% according to one review : The Nikon D7200's optical viewfinder tested at just under 99 percent coverage with our Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 macro lens, with no significant tilt or offset. This is very good, though slightly less than Nikon's 100% specification. In Live View mode, the Nikon D7200's LCD tested very close to 100% coverage, which is excellent. ( https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d7200/nikon-d7200A4.HTM ) and other reviews say 100% ....so you do not need a full frame for that.... and a quick look at the (full frame) Canon EOS6D specs lists it as only 98% ! 

The Canon RAw files are only better with Canon's software, just as nikons are best with theirs. Camera makers do not make the best software though ! If you are going to use the best software, ie Lightroom or DXO, then that factor is irrelevant to your choice of brand. Adobe Lightroom processes my RAW Canon G7X files from my underwater camera gear just as well as it does my RAW Nikon files. And Nikons range of lens is just as wide as Canons, except perhaps for the very, very, expensive tele lens that pro sports shooters use. For you and me either brand is equal in quality, and nowadays Tamron and Sigma lens are just about equal too in most cases, but significantly cheaper. I think you should perhaps rethink some of the advice you have been given.

In the end I think the deciding factor will be how comfortable you feel operating a camera, how does it fit in your hand, how do you find the menu and control operation. Are they intuitive ?

Anyway, just a couple of quick orchid shots from my D7200 with a Tamron 90mm macro lens, and a Sigma ring flash, handheld. Reduced for here of course ....the full size pics are 4000*6000 !

brassia-3.jpg

brassia-1.jpg

On 7/27/2018 at 11:53 PM, ThaiBob said:

All the big camera shops sell Canons but fotofile at MBK has competitive pricing. 

https://www.fotofile.co.th

Both Nikon and Canon will be releasing models shortly to compete with Sony FF mirrorless( A7 and A7r) so it may be to your advantage to delay your decision if possible. 

I think you meant to say A9 because the A7 series are APS-C. The fullsize Sony FF are A99 and A99ii.

31 minutes ago, MunkyBoogar said:

I think you meant to say A9 because the A7 series are APS-C. The fullsize Sony FF are A99 and A99ii.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-camera-products/t/interchangeable-lens-cameras

https://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-7-body-kit

α7 E-mount Camera with Full Frame Sensor

Sony A7 series are full frame cameras

I have a NEX7 which has the APS-C format, like the a6500 and others...

I’d go further, why a DSLR?
Mirrorless cameras have a better “liveview” on the rear screen, which makes them easy to compose with when working off a tripod. Micro four thirds cameras (Panasonic/Olympus) have smaller sensors which will give you more depth of field at an equivalent focal length, which is useful if you want to capture the full flower in detail. Or even something like the Sony RX100 would do the job.
If you are after “whole flower” shots, you don’t need a macro.
Suggest a flash is not a good idea, you will create unpleasant shadows, if you are shooting on a tripod then a slow shutter speed is no problem. If you need additional light, then maybe a well diffused lcd panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Catching close ups of a flower will give you the problem of getting the whole flower in focus (the closer you are to the subject, the thinner the depth of field).
Some mirrorless cameras offer a solution to this with focus stacking. You focus on the nearest point, press the shutter, and the camera then takes a specified number of shots, moving the focus point slightly forward each time. You then merge the images in software.
This photo is 15 merged images such that all the flower is in focus.
22998983659_ab6911e936_o.jpg

As noted the new Sony mirrorless cameras are FF and not APS-C but new Nikon's mirrorless are on the way (August 23rd) followed later by Canon so if I were the OP I would definitely wait and see, especially since he already has Canon glass. I have researched the new Sony's (not a Sony fanboy, terrible ergonomics, menu system, customer support) and I have a lot of excellent Nikon glass (new camera will have a converter) so the new Sony is not for me. My friend, a Canon shooter feels the same way. If the OP simply wants to shoot flowers then FF is overkill, and if he is shooting insects or product photography then other equipment (like ring-lights) might be a better investment. Still not clear what he wants to shoot and accomplish. 

I walked by "Digital2Home" at Fortunetown today. If still considering a 6D, they are selling them (the original) for 32,700 THB. Price is good through August.

If I hadn't just dropped a wad of cash on my new computer, I'd be picking one up!

Archived