UK Visitor visa for Thai

From the UK, live and work in Thailand for a number of years, need to go back to UK for family event (unfortunately) and would be more bearable if my partner and child went too.

Now, need to be there for the 30th of August.

My childs UK passport has expired, Thai one is valid.

What do I need to show for my partner to get the visit visa, would only be for 6 or 7 days maximum living with family.

I understand that it could take a month for my child to get a new UK passport, could we apply for a UK visit visa for her in her Thai passport and explain that she is british but didnt have time to apply for new passport - if so could this make it more difficult. Could she travel on an ETD and then just fly back on Thai passport?

How long does it take to process visit visa and is there an expedited way to go?

Thanks

Moved to here.

Is your child here in the country as a Thai or did they enter on a UK passport? If UK passport it could be a problem clearing Thai immigration.

A UK passport holder can enter the UK with a expired passport so not a problem. Just get a them new passport while in the UK.

From this site. https://skyteam.traveldoc.aero/#input  Note the passport expiration date I entered.

image.png.09952d2961e01e6c8c5d6fcafa501b70.png

Will leave it to others with more knowledge about your partner's visa.

It shouldn't be a problem getting your wife a UK Visitor visa, especially if you can show that you all live together in Thailand.  Your child doesn't need a visa as she's British.  I'm not sure how her expired passport will affect leaving the country, but I'm sure someone else will advise.  Since the UKVI department that issues visas moved to New Delhi there seems to be an increase in the time taken to process visas (you still apply in Bangkok, but the decision is made in India), so you might want to consider paying for the Express service.

27 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm not sure how her expired passport will affect leaving the country, but I'm sure someone else will advise. 

Not a problem with immigration if they are here as a Thai. The airline will be aware that a UK citizen can enter the UK with a expired passport.

• Like 1

The UKVI will not, at least should not, issue a UK Visa to a person holding, or even entiled to, a UK passport.

Your daughter should show her UK passport at check-in in Bangkok, that would show the check-in staff that she's entitled to enter the UK, she should present her Thai passport when she clears immigration in Bangkok, they won't be interested in her entitlement to enter the UK.
It can get complicated if she entered Thailand on her UK passport and wants to leave on her Thai passport.

In your wifes case she needs to submit her application as soon as she can as applications are taking longer now that the "improved" service has been introduced. 

Thanks all, if my daughter can enter on an expired UK passport the issue would be getting a new one in the UK, only planning on being there a week at most. Shes here as a Thai from birth. Could she exit the UK on Thai passport showing expired British passport?

While in theory we could apply for a new UK passport for her now in Thailand as the stated time is 4 weeks, would be just my luck that it doesnt arrive in time.

I’m not really sure of the answers to your supplementary questions, so my best shot is little more than an educated guess.
She can certainly enter the UK on her expired passport, whilst the passport might have expired her right of entry hasn’t.
Renewing her passport in the UK couldn’t normally be done in a week, unless you went for one of the fast track services, which you’d need an appointment for.
I’m pretty sure that whilst she could enter the UK on an expired passport I don’t think she could leave on one.
If she entered the UK on her UK passport and then left on her Thai passport it might raise concerns if the check-in staff were looking for a UK visa, but I may be overthinking that element.
There are no regular embarkation checks on leaving the UK but the airlines pass on details of all passengers to the UKBA to identify overstayers.
The Passport Office advise that when applying for new passports here in Thailand, they are electronically cancelled and no longer valid for travel, though I have heard of people traveling on cancelled passports.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

She could get the passport in as little as 4 hours.

Info here: https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

The four hour fast track route isn't available for childrens passport renewals, only adults.

Children can use the one week fast track, the child, or at least their guardian, has to collect a paper application form from a Post Office, then make an appointment and pay online to visit one of a few regional offices, Belfast, Glasgow, Newport, Peterborough, Durham, Livepool or London, after attending the regional office to submit the hard copy of the form. it can't be submitted online, the passport is posted within one week of its submission.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, new101 said:

Thanks all, if my daughter can enter on an expired UK passport the issue would be getting a new one in the UK, only planning on being there a week at most. Shes here as a Thai from birth. Could she exit the UK on Thai passport showing expired British passport?

While in theory we could apply for a new UK passport for her now in Thailand as the stated time is 4 weeks, would be just my luck that it doesnt arrive in time.

From what I remember you don’t go through Immigration when you leave the UK, your daughters Thai Passport would only be for ID at the Check in Desk.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theoldgit said:

I’m not really sure of the answers to your supplementary questions, so my best shot is little more than an educated guess.
She can certainly enter the UK on her expired passport, whilst the passport might have expired her right of entry hasn’t.
Renewing her passport in the UK couldn’t normally be done in a week, unless you went for one of the fast track services, which you’d need an appointment for.
I’m pretty sure that whilst she could enter the UK on an expired passport I don’t think she could leave on one.
If she entered the UK on her UK passport and then left on her Thai passport it might raise concerns if the check-in staff were looking for a UK visa, but I may be overthinking that element.
There are no regular embarkation checks on leaving the UK but the airlines pass on details of all passengers to the UKBA to identify overstayers.
The Passport Office advise that when applying for new passports here in Thailand, they are electronically cancelled and no longer valid for travel, though I have heard of people traveling on cancelled passports.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

'The Passport Office advise that when applying for new passports here in Thailand, they are electronically cancelled and no longer valid for travel ...'

Not correct, hence their validity for Thai residence purposes.

And she certainly couldn't enter on her UK passport then exit on her Thai one. That would trigger questions from immigration.

46 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

'The Passport Office advise that when applying for new passports here in Thailand, they are electronically cancelled and no longer valid for travel ...'

And she certainly couldn't enter on her UK passport then exit on her Thai one. That would trigger questions from immigration.

As I said earlier you only show your Passport at the Check in Desk when exiting, you don’t go through Immigration when you leave the UK.

The first thing would be, make sure you have plenty of money to spare, and be prepared to pay again when your application gets refused. The British Embassy think nothing of charging about 6000 Baht for taking about three mins to read and sign something.

3 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Not incorrect at all, once a new passport has been applied for they are electronically cancelled and are no longer valid for travel, applicants in Thailand are however allowed to retain them, as you mention, for ID purposes only, not for travel, this is the advice from The Passport Office:

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/adult

As I said, on leaving the UK there are no regular embarkation controls, though data is collected by carriers on behalf of the UKBA.

The carrier will require proof that the passenger is able to enter Thailand, so will require sight of a Thai passport or the passport of another nationality with either a visa or an onward flight ticket.

I would be grateful if you would evidence your claim that it “would trigger questions from immigration”

I think your biggest problem will be getting a timely visa for your wife. My Thai wife travels with me to the UK for a holiday, for the past 10 or more years with no problem. This year it took 17 weeks! No explanation or queries and the visa was in her returned Passport, but 17 weeks! Good luck.

Edited by cme
spelling

3 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

They actually say not valid for travel but valid for ID purposes.

However, I used my 'cancelled' passport to go to Cambodia without any problem.

I think your biggest problem will be getting a timely visa for your wife. My Thai wife travels with me to the UK for a holiday, for the past 10 or more years with no problem. This year it took 17 weeks! No explanation or queries and the visa was in her returned Passport, but 17 weeks! Good luck.
17 weeks is horrendous! Even with the move to India they are still claiming it should only be around 3 weeks for a Visitor visa. Were there particular issues with your wife's application? What was their excuse for the delay?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

17 weeks is horrendous! Even with the move to India they are still claiming it should only be around 3 weeks for a Visitor visa. Were there particular issues with your wife's application? What was their excuse for the delay?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Never heard of 17 weeks................. that must have been pre-India - obviously some issues.

Her Passport came back with DHL, just the Passport, no letter or explanation. There were no 'issues' that we were informed of and the Visa was given. As I said in my original post, there are several visas from the previous consecutive years in her Passport. Nothing has changed in either of our circumstances. I thought they had lost her Passport, even wrote asking for an official letter so that my wife could start the process of applying for a new one, all my mails ever received were standard response mails just always with another name. It was impossible to get any information. At one point I started a process via an MP with the Ombudsman but that came to nothing because to start the process you need a letter from the UKVI stating their objections, which I could not get. It was an incredibly frustrating situation to be in. I've written two mails of complaint to the Home Office, each time a standard response saying they need 4 weeks to look into the matter and and each time you write it seems that the 4 week clock starts again!

20 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Never heard of 17 weeks................. that must have been pre-India - obviously some issues.

Her Passport came back with DHL, just the Passport, no letter or explanation. There were no 'issues' that we were informed of and the Visa was given. As I said in my original post, there are several visas from the previous consecutive years in her Passport. Nothing has changed in either of our circumstances. I thought they had lost her Passport, even wrote asking for an official letter so that my wife could start the process of applying for a new one, all my mails ever received were standard response mails just always with another name. It was impossible to get any information. At one point I started a process via an MP with the Ombudsman but that came to nothing because to start the process you need a letter from the UKVI stating their objections, which I could not get. It was an incredibly frustrating situation to be in. I've written two mails of complaint to the Home Office, each time a standard response saying they need 4 weeks to look into the matter and and each time you write it seems that the 4 week clock starts again!

The application was made and documented as received in mid March this year and returned 2 weeks ago.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Of course. If Trendy tell you you can't travel on it that's hardly going to make it's way through to Thai immigration.

It is actually UKVI who say that.........same conclusion however.