If Thais dislike tourists so much, why don't they try harder to cut their dependence on tourism?

koimiloi

I do not know where you visited. But, I find what you said applies to some extent in Pattaya, Samui and Phuket. Most of the people who deal with tourists there are jaded and alot are unpleasant. I do not find this attitude anywhere else in Thailand. I find most Thai people to be kind, helpful, delightful, fun loving, and light hearted. Would rather be around them, than the bitter, disenfranchised, sourpuss, unfriendly, cold, distant Americans I encounter whenever I go back there. The exception being some hispanics, and some blacks and asians. White people in America bring so little to the table. It is the people of color that give America whatever greatness it has remaining. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

I do not know where you visited. But, I find what you said applies to some extent in Pattaya, Samui and Phuket. Most of the people who deal with tourists there are jaded and alot are unpleasant. I do not find this attitude anywhere else in Thailand. I find most Thai people to be kind, helpful, delightful, fun loving, and light hearted. Would rather be around them, than the bitter, disenfranchised, sourpuss, unfriendly, cold, distant Americans I encounter whenever I go back there. The exception being some hispanics, and some blacks and asians. White people in America bring so little to the table. It is the people of color that give America whatever greatness it has remaining. 

While I generally agree with the first half of your post, the second half leads me to believe you don't get around much of the US. I was just spent a week in San Diego, two weeks in Chattanooga and a week in Sacramento and the people (including the whites) were great. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

. The exception being some hispanics, and some blacks and asians. White people in America bring so little to the table. It is the people of color that give America whatever greatness it has remaining. 

Agree -- so when back to the USA I go like this

12 minutes ago, BestB said:

Do not know what exactly ?

Try to follow along: 

You said: “Thai that live outside tourist areas as I said in my post may not have first hand contact but have friends or family members who do have contact and do pass on stories or complains “

I said: “Why would you assume that?”

You said: “Why would you ask something as obvious as that ?”

I said: “Because it’s not that obvious to me.”

You said: “Then perhaps getting out of your room or village  would be a good start”

I said: “If you don't know just say you don't know, don't blame me.”

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

Does this happen to you frequently?  I'm sorry to say but this is not normal in Thailand.  It hasn't happened to me.  Maybe you have the sort of face and/or personality that just irritates people.

Oh dear, maybe I should get cosmetic surgery, which ironically Thailand is good at. Seriously speaking, maybe I might have that 'sort of face' but I've traveled to many countries in Asia without encountering as much arrogance and passive hostility like in Thailand. Considering I didn't know those guys outside my hotel and didn't say anything to them, I don't see how my personality has anything to do with it. 

1 hour ago, JTXR said:

The premises of the OP are flawed.  He implies most Thais dislike tourists based on a few personal experiences.  He also implies that Thailand is doing nothing to reduce its dependency on tourism.  Both are not true, or are at least debatable.

Like most people living in a city or country with large numbers of tourists, Thais dislike certain types of tourists (loud, rude, culturally insensitive, etc.) and they dislike huge numbers of foreigners changing the character of their city or country.  On the other hand, they realize that the money tourism brings is a good thing.  It's a trade-off, and Thailand is hardly alone in this predicament.  Talk to folks in Kyoto, or Paris, or Rome, or Mexico, or Hawaii, or New Orleans.  Talk to folks in Venice, for goodness' sake!

In 2017 tourism generated revenues worth around US$ 36.4 billion, representing over 9.3% of the country's GDP (source: Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Report 2017, World Economic Forum).  That's a good chunk of the economy, sure, but the country's 20 year development strategy already calls for increased diversification of the economy.  (You can Google the strategy).  But the way to diversify is to grow the other parts of the economy, not suppress tourism.  Will they succeed?  Who knows, but they do know they need to try.

The people in Venice are begging for less tourists. In my experience, people in Paris or Rome act indifferent to visitors.    

According to the Thai government itself, tourism accounted for almost 18% of income.
http://investvine.com/thailands-dependence-tourism-reaches-critical-dimensions/
"Economy-wise, Thailand’s reliance on tourism is unhealthy as it seems to be the only organic growth driver for the country under the current military administration, the only other (non-organic) being public project spending. And it is also confined to a few regions, mainly Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chonburi and the southern islands, which means that distribution of tourism income is highly disproportionate and does neither contribute to rural development nor balance nationwide incomes."

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/tourism-made-whopping-17-thailands-income-last-year/
By the way, is that woman on the left in the photo Thai? Damn, she's stunning. 

6 hours ago, mogandave said:

The OP seemed to post up their opinions as facts.

The OP’s question also assumes their opinions are facts.

While there is nothing wrong with posting an opinion, there is something wrong with presenting opinions as facts.

I could have worded my question better but my opinions are opinions. If I assumed they were fact, I wouldn't have needed to ask any questions.  

8 hours ago, Mickster58 said:

haha go home

I've already left. Read better next time.

On 7/31/2018 at 6:15 AM, BestB said:

Actually there is welfare and rice growing is 1 month work .

then of course no one put a gun to their head to grow rice.

as for Thai you know comment , rather a silly one to make assuming a few you know is how all Thai are.

I would be interested to see the sample size and research that you used to come up with your

comment.

2 hours ago, koimiloi said:

I'm only a visitor so I only know Thailand has an economy heavily dependent on tourism (almost 20 percent), has had a military junta in power for several years preceded by several years of instability, mass protests, and changes of government, and that Thailand has never been colonized though they conveniently ignore that they collaborated with the Japanese during World War II during what might be said to have been an occupation. Plus they have a long history of fighting with their neighbors like the Burmese, Cambodians and Vietnamese.

I mean I'm sure the majority of tourists to Thailand already know so much more about the country, so excuse me for my miniscule knowledge.

Are you OK, buddy?
According to statistics, Thailand's GDP relies heavily on tourism with figures of as much as 20 % quoted. Obviously they have other industries, but tourism is a huge part.

You know, in life, especially when traveling, you learn to pick up cues from how people react to you. From how they look at you to the tone of their voice to gestures, you kind of figure out whether you're welcome in a place or provoking somebody. If you pass somebody and he glares at you, that is a very obvious sign of hostility, unless you want to tell me that is a local Thai sign of hospitality or curiosity. If you pass a few guys and they stop talking to look at you, then start raising their voices, it's also very likely that they aren't saying something good.

It seems that you have looked up Thailand on Wikipedia!

• Haha 1

Many of the workers in the tourist spots are from up country, they go south to work to feed their families. These folk deal with many nationalities on a daily basis and for sure look forward to going back up country for a break from them.

I have lived up country for many years and find wherever I go here there is no ploblem and a lot of help if needed, smiles all round, in fact they are farang friendly.

I have been down south a couple of times and have noticed a difference in the friendly stuff on occasion, which l put down to the "just another tourist" thing..

OP, every country has tourists and am sure some are not liked by the folk dealing with them, but at the end of the day they are providing work for zillions...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

Try to follow along.

Sample size of the subjects used to complete the research the OP’s generalizations are based on.

So why are you quoting me? I am not the OP, or did you get confused with all the trolling and smart arse one liners ?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Sorry, I just trying to answer your questions.

So if you already knew, why’d you ask?

Firstly i did not ask you

Secondly my response was to another troll who quoted me 

1 hour ago, koimiloi said:

I'm only a visitor so I only know Thailand has an economy heavily dependent on tourism (almost 20 percent), has had a military junta in power for several years preceded by several years of instability, mass protests, and changes of government, and that Thailand has never been colonized though they conveniently ignore that they collaborated with the Japanese during World War II during what might be said to have been an occupation. Plus they have a long history of fighting with their neighbors like the Burmese, Cambodians and Vietnamese.

I mean I'm sure the majority of tourists to Thailand already know so much more about the country, so excuse me for my miniscule knowledge.

Are you OK, buddy?
According to statistics, Thailand's GDP relies heavily on tourism with figures of as much as 20 % quoted. Obviously they have other industries, but tourism is a huge part.

You know, in life, especially when traveling, you learn to pick up cues from how people react to you. From how they look at you to the tone of their voice to gestures, you kind of figure out whether you're welcome in a place or provoking somebody. If you pass somebody and he glares at you, that is a very obvious sign of hostility, unless you want to tell me that is a local Thai sign of hospitality or curiosity. If you pass a few guys and they stop talking to look at you, then start raising their voices, it's also very likely that they aren't saying something good.

That 20% is not what foreign tourist bring in, it is a total of everything what has to do with tourism Thai tourist included.

https://www.wttc.org/-/media/files/reports/economic-impact-research/countries-2017/thailand2017.pdf

4 hours ago, koimiloi said:

From how they look at you to the tone of their voice to gestures, you kind of figure out whether you're welcome in a place or provoking somebody. If you pass somebody and he glares at you, that is a very obvious sign of hostility, unless you want to tell me that is a local Thai sign of hospitality or curiosity. If you pass a few guys and they stop talking to look at you, then start raising their voices, it's also very likely that they aren't saying something good.

I don't know to what places you go where they act like that or that you have something special. Never had these issues anywhere.

Firstly i did not ask you
Secondly my response was to another troll who quoted me 

For private conversations try using the PM feature.

I’m guessing that your definition of “troll” includes anyone that asks you something you have no answer for.

Or are you just baiting me?

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:20 AM, koimiloi said:

Are you saying if I move here, I will find Thais are much better in customer service and treating tourists? This is a bit unconventional compared to a lot of what I've read here and elsewhere.

No. I suggest you see the real Thailand, ie away from the tourist traps. The places that don't survive, thrive or need a tourist dollar.

These are the places that have not been spoilt by you, the tourist. And are still, the Real Thailand.

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

For private conversations try using the PM feature.

I’m guessing that your definition of “troll” includes anyone that asks you something you have no answer for.

Or are you just baiting me?

Again since you failing to understand, i did NOT ask you and not interested in having private conversations with you.

My definition of troll, has your name in it.

Is there anything else you need me to explain?

Again since you failing to understand, i did NOT ask you and not interested in having private conversations with you.

My definition of troll, has your name in it.

Is there anything else you need me to explain?

You mean besides everything I asked you that you were unable to answer even after I repeated the questions?

No I think that will do it, thanks.

12 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

I don't know to what places you go where they act like that or that you have something special. Never had these issues anywhere.

Have you been to Pattaya ? There is slot of "staring" and nothing good about it either. In all fairness however about 65 percent of the foreigners (smokers) dislike me also. And in both cases above - that's a two way street. 

Have you been to Pattaya ? There is slot of "staring" and nothing good about it either. In all fairness however about 65 percent of the foreigners (smokers) dislike me also. And in both cases above - that's a two way street. 

There are many slots going up stairs for smoking...

How on earth can you dislike all Smokers.?. Young ones fair enougy, they have been advised. But to wave your arms abour at a Nam War or any other Vet, is pathetic they were free issued Cigs.No i dont smoke, just move up wind a bit.?[emoji481]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, mogandave said:

You mean besides everything I asked you that you were unable to answer even after I repeated the questions?

No I think that will do it, thanks.

You even repeated the questions? Great imagination to match the trolling