A Man Who Attacked A Priest Reportedly Said “This Is For The Little Kids”

ASEAN NOW Content Team

An Indiana priest who was knocked unconscious while praying inside a church Monday morning was likely the victim of a hate crime, authorities said.

Police in Merrillville, where the attack occurred, did not immediately respond to BuzzFeed News’ request for comment. But Police Chief Joseph Petruch told CBS Chicago that the unknown attacker yelled out, “This is for all the little kids” — an apparent reference to the ongoing child sex abuse scandal embroiling the Catholic Church.

“I have enough there to say it’s a hate crime,” Petruch said, adding that his department had notified the FBI of the hate crime investigation.

Petruch also told the station the attacker grabbed the priest, Father Basil John Hutsko, “by the neck, threw him down on the floor, and immediately starts slamming his head against the floor, both sides, front, back.”

The attack, which took place around 9 a.m. at St. Michael Byzantine Catholic Church, left Hutsko with bruises across his head. Other priests in the area were shocked and left considering security within their own churches, the Post-Tribune reported.

“He’s a good priest and like everybody said, he’s not accused of anything,” the Rev. Steven Koplinka of St. Nicholas Byzantine Catholic Parish told the Post-Tribune. “Why attack him?”

Full article

1 hour ago, soistalker said:

The Catholic church is still the best way to worship Christ for believers. But I won't give them money and I won't give them access to my children. 

Then you may as well lock up the children.....child abuse figures are no higher amount the clergy than amoung the general public.

2 hours ago, kjun12 said:

Ks45672 is obviously a mean jerk.

While as a 'born' Catholic, I have no beef with the misguided who cling to the faith...

The church was and is a monstrosity, an abomination unto all that is Holy, and a curse on humanity like Malaria.

Thank the stars we at least can now openly criticize it.

But they should be literally shut down in their present form by the UN, and forced to restructure, and divest their wealth UNCONDITIONALLY into trusts for the global poor.

Vigilante attacks, which I DO NOT support, are inevitable if any organization refuses to reform itself.

Ks45672 would have been burned alive for such a comment a few hundred years ago, yeah he's sooo mean! A little perspective needed?

Lest ye forget.

40 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Then you may as well lock up the children.....child abuse figures are no higher amount the clergy than amoung the general public.

Yes, but the general public go to jail! They don't get a quiet all expenses paid 'inactive posting' to think it over 'prayerfully'.

Its a F*ing disgrace!

Born into the Catholic church, Altar-Choir boy until leaving the church as an adult, was never molested, had friends who were Priests who did good work, counseled prisoners, etc. I would not want to guess what the ratio might be for percentage of Priests who were devout adherents to religion versus those who became perverts.

I went to a Catholic school up thru High School- I was taught by Nuns; Priest and others. In addition, I was an altar boy and assisted priests and nus in many circumstances. I never saw any impropriety nor did I ever know of any impropriety. I had hundreds of Catholic friends and they never experienced any impropriety.  My experience with the church saw priests and nuns who were dedicated to the religion and lived an exemplary life.  

Obviously, in certain parishes throughout the World- there was a breakdown  and perversion was allowed to continue. These people should be prosecuted according to law and anyone who abetted their actions excommunicated from the Church and also prosecuted.  Pope Francis needs to publicly indicate there is a zero tolerance attitude. Covering up a situation like this  only makes everything worse and demeans children who were victimized. It is unconscionable.

Many of us have given up on supporting bricks and mortar institutions that purport to help people due to proven levels of corruption in so many institutions and allowing sexual predators to roam free..  This doesn't mean not helping the poor and downtrodden , I just prefer to do it myself and make sure what I am giving actually goes to help people.

Belief in a God or  Supreme Being is a personal choice that each of us make. It really is up to you!

24 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I went to a Catholic school up thru High School- I was taught by Nuns; Priest and others. In addition, I was an altar boy and assisted priests and nus in many circumstances. I never saw any impropriety nor did I ever know of any impropriety. I had hundreds of Catholic friends and they never experienced any impropriety.  My experience with the church saw priests and nuns who were dedicated to the religion and lived an exemplary life.  

Obviously, in certain parishes throughout the World- there was a breakdown  and perversion was allowed to continue. These people should be prosecuted according to law and anyone who abetted their actions excommunicated from the Church and also prosecuted.  Pope Francis needs to publicly indicate there is a zero tolerance attitude. Covering up a situation like this  only makes everything worse and demeans children who were victimized. It is unconscionable.

Many of us have given up on supporting bricks and mortar institutions that purport to help people due to proven levels of corruption in so many institutions and allowing sexual predators to roam free..  This doesn't mean not helping the poor and downtrodden , I just prefer to do it myself and make sure what I am giving actually goes to help people.

Belief in a God or  Supreme Being is a personal choice that each of us make. It really is up to you!

Great attitude.. i have no problem with religion as long as it does not impact my life. Like religious people telling me euthanasia is bad (its a personal choice). Stuff like that religion should never influence the non religious. 

Anyway if the Church cared about the people they would not have covered up these events of child abuse and guess what in almost all countries all around the world the covered it up. Just look at Australia recently, in my country the Netherlands it happened too (cover ups). 

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I guess you mean "child abuse figures are no higher among the clergy than among the general public". That is a very common argument. It does not seem to be true. And the protection that the clergy is afforded when they have been found out within the church, means that they can go on committing these atrocities for a very long time.

I was raised as a Catholic. Was an alter boy for a few years, attended a catholic boys school then a co-ed but never ever saw any signs of this abuse.  Not to say it didn’t or doesn’t exist. 

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Wrong:You wouldn't believe how many closet homosexuel and heterosexual pedophiles and perverts are hiding in the Catholic church:much higher than in the general public. 

On 8/25/2018 at 8:35 AM, toofarnorth said:

Maybe I should fly to Berlin , get off the plane and go and kick a German  " This is for you bombing my Grandad's house in London in 1942 ".

What tosh.

I don’t think it was right to attack the priest in this case, but a more appropriate comparison would be if you went to Berlin and tracked down a Nazi and kicked him/her as punishment for representing an organisation that was bombing London in 1942. Among many other things. Being a representative for a corrupt and crooked organisation means you partly share that responsibility even if you as an individual haven’t committed any corrupt or crooked acts yourself. Renounce the organisation and distance yourself. Staying means approving. When the organisation is this rotten there’s no saving it.

Archived