Thai maid steals valuables worth 500k THB from American tourist, buys car with the proceeds

rooster59

Thai maid steals valuables worth 500k THB from American tourist, buys car with the proceeds

561000008867001.JPEG

Image: Manager

A Thai woman has confessed to stealing valuables worth almost 500,000 baht from an American tourist in Pattaya.

Pimsiri Boonchu, 26, was working as a maid at the Vogue Hotel in Pattaya Klang when she committed the theft earlier this month.

American Tracy Nguyen, 48, told police how she had put the ‘do not disturb’ sign before leaving her room at the hotel on 4 August.

But when she returned she found that her valuables were missing, including $3,500 in cash, diamond earrings worth $6,000, a gold bracelet worth $2,000, a platinum necklace and bracelet worth $2,100 and a designer handbag worth $700. Also missing was Ms Nguyen’s passport, credit card and driving license.

Police say that in total 464,000 baht worth of valuables were stolen from Ms Nguyen, who has now returned to the United States.

After the theft Pimsiri, who suddenly quit her job as a maid, sold the stolen items and bought a Honda Civic car with the proceeds.

Police finally tracked down Pimsiri to an address in the Nong Prue area of the city on Saturday where she was arrested.

Pattaya police chief Pol Col Apichai Krobpetch said the theft damaged the reputation of Pattaya and urged hotels to be more thorough when vetting staff.

However, the Pol Col added that Ms Nguyen said the incident hadn’t put her off Pattaya and that she said she intended to return to the resort again in the future.

The report from Manager didn’t mention if any of the items were returned to Ms Nguyen.

Source: Manager

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-26
  • Haha 2

So safe to assume car would be sold and money wired to the American ?

By the way, not too sure what the amount must be but I had a thieving staff who was eventually caught she got 12 years sentence.

Her total from a number of places was around 250 000 nothing was recovered and she was jailed for 12 years, true story

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BestB said:

So safe to assume car would be sold and money wired to the American ?

By the way, not too sure what the amount must be but I had a thieving staff who was eventually caught she got 12 years sentence.

Her total from a number of places was around 250 000 nothing was recovered and she was jailed for 12 years, true story

hmmmm wonder what my fish stealer would get, personally  a  good  kicking from me would be satisfaction enough

25 minutes ago, kannot said:

hmmmm wonder what my fish stealer would get, personally  a  good  kicking from me would be satisfaction enough

I was happy she was caught and charged but when I heard the verdict I actually felt sorry for her. People do less for murder 

• Sad 1

Was this the first time Ms. Nguyen traveled outside of the US or possibly the first time she stayed in a hotel?
Who in their right mind leaves cash and jewelry in a hotel room?  Even keeping it in a hotel's safe isn't 'safe' given that here in Thailand the hotel's liability is some fraction of the amount stolen.  You keep your valuables on you. You don't leave them in a room or in a hotel safe unless you have your own insurance that will cover you in case of theft.

8 minutes ago, connda said:

Was this the first time Ms. Nguyen traveled outside of the US or possibly the first time she stayed in a hotel?
Who in their right mind leaves cash and jewelry in a hotel room?  Even keeping it in a hotel's safe isn't 'safe' given that here in Thailand the hotel's liability is some fraction of the amount stolen.  You keep your valuables on you. You don't leave them in a room or in a hotel safe unless you have your own insurance that will cover you in case of theft.

maybe she did . . .

• Like 2

With that kind of cash and valuables, why does she choose to stay in an 800 baht a night hotel in Pattaya Klang?

She could have chosen something far more secure and upscale where they really take care and look after their customers.

1 minute ago, Dararasmi said:

She's American, not Vietnamese. Or can't you read? And, believe it or not, some women can make very successful lives for themselves without the help of a big strong man.

I guess she is American (Tracy) married to a Vietnamese man.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

This tourist is living in la-la land thinking that she can leave such valuable items laying around and that they will be ok if she put the do not disturb sign, is she that dumb of is that the first time she's traveling, and what with all the expensive jewelry and handbag coming to Thailand, wouldn't put it past this woman to be an insurance con job even though the maid has confessed...

Highly speculative and presumptuous. Not everyone thinks like you.

Police say that in total 464,000 baht worth of valuables were stolen from Ms Nguyen, who has now returned to the United States.

How fortunate that she had a second passport available with an entry stamp to enable her to depart legally........

• Like 1
  • Sad 2