our house doesn't have a kitchen

When we build our house my girlfriend wanted to have a separate building for the kitchen, indeed to keep bad smells out of the house. Actually my girlfriend's sister did the same when she build a second home recently. 

There's a small roofed pathway that separates the kitchen from the rest of the house.

IMG_1772.thumb.JPG.589320638443bcb2be56f4a7d549a1cd.JPG

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

A bit off topic but we are talking about kitchens. I have looked everywhere up here for an electric oven with gas cooktop. Anyone know where to buy one.

Try HomePro

Our kitchen is built into the corner of the lounge/living room. The idea is that someone preparing food in the kitchen can still talk with their guests sitting around. It's also possible to use the air conditioner if it's really hot.

You can put in an extractor fan to remove most smells. However, there are some foods I have to leave the room for, and where an outdoor kitchen would be best.

Kitchen.jpg

11 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Our kitchen is built into the corner of the lounge/living room. The idea is that someone preparing food in the kitchen can still talk with their guests sitting around. It's also possible to use the air conditioner if it's really hot.

You can put in an extractor fan to remove most smells. However, there are some foods I have to leave the room for, and where an outdoor kitchen would be best.

Kitchen.jpg

All cool at your place.......?

gasmask_01.jpg.2085dbf0aa783bc0f6032ba8bcb4f85b.jpg

On the plus side, you have a blank slate and you didn't pay for a crap kitchen that you end up tearing out and starting all over.  We bought 2 Lumpini Park Beach condos and they came with small, not good kitchens, which we had to completely remove.  I don't think we saved anything, maybe the faucet.   It would have been less work if the kitchens hadn't even been there.   

Currently building a two level, four bedroom, four bathroom home in Nan province. I hate Thai style internal kitchens and not fond of outside kitchens. We are installing an expensive western style 4m x 4m kitchen. Electric oven and gas burners. Strong extraction fan in a hob over the gas burners. Four windows for ventilation and light. There will of course be a charcoal mobile BBQ outside.

6 hours ago, transam said:

I would suggest most of the civilised planet has a kitchen inside, if you want ants,rats and snakes visiting your grub that's up to you..?

'civilised world' give me a break, you mean the people who live in the west, usually in a temperate climate. The vast majority of human kind live in Asia mate and most of them cook outside. So you want all those creatures you quote in the house instead of outside it? Weird 

48 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

'civilised world' give me a break, you mean the people who live in the west, usually in a temperate climate. The vast majority of human kind live in Asia mate and most of them cook outside. So you want all those creatures you quote in the house instead of outside it? Weird 

We have an indoor kitchen, no rats or cockroaches in our house, plenty outside though.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

My kitchen has a door, oh, plus a mozzy door...Can close either to keep out stuff day or night..

How about you....?

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Indoor kitchen here. No rats or bugs. 

In fact, and here me out here, I can turn on my lights indoors and not have about a billion termite bugs, mosquitos, flys, and everything else inside my home. 

Shocking. 

We have just moved into a new built two storey house.On the ground floor is a european  style kitchen complete with cooker hood and full gas oven and hob . Madamme la Patronne insisted on building a separate "Thai kithen" which is accessed via covered path. In spite of it being fully equipped she has still to use it

3 minutes ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Indoor kitchen here. No rats or bugs. 

In fact, and here me out here, I can turn on my lights indoors and not have about a billion termite bugs, mosquitos, flys, and everything else inside my home. 

Shocking. 

I think some here come from a country where they actually hd an outside bog (WC)...?

Just now, Maybole said:

We have just moved into a new built two storey house.On the ground floor is a european  style kitchen complete with cooker hood and full gas oven and hob . Madamme la Patronne insisted on building a separate "Thai kithen" which is accessed via covered path. In spite of it being fully equipped she has still to use it

.........with a mat to sit/eat on....?

Most Thais definitely do not place the emphasis on a kitchen, like we do in the West. Most kitchens here are very basic, unless you get into the properties that are 5 million baht and up. Just additional proof that Thailand is NOT a foreign country. It is a distant planet. And that is a good thing! 

11 hours ago, Spidey said:

I have recently moved into my house and had a, state of the art, European style kitchen fitted before we moved in.

My wife is still adamant that she want's a second outside kitchen. On this, I have put my foot down.

I took great pains when designing and installing the kitchen that it would be bug proof. I don't want lizard crap, ants, cockroaches and even rats anywhere near my food. Outside kitchens are really unhygienic.

With the internal kitchen door shut and extractor fan on, cooking smells pervading the rest of the house don't present a problem.

Well I must say I dont see a hint of arrogance here.

Without any consultation you have decided what and where the kitchen shall be.

Now you bleat because the onr who will do most of the kitchen related duties doesnt like it much.

I have a 'hybrid house' ie., I got my own western kitchen inside downstairs and the family has their traditional asian kitchen outside on the upstairs shop house rear terrace...it was my wife's idea, bless her heart...and she had the ingenuity and the will to do it...always plenty of whatever I need upstairs and whatever the family needs downstairs, the upstairs fridge is a lot bigger than mine...garlic, onions, chiles, sauces, ice and etc with kids runnin' up and down the stairs...and then there's my dear, sweet little granddaughter: 'tutsi, I wanna ham sandwich...' only in tutsi's kitchen...

and then there's the sleek, long legged 20 y.o. nieces (that I've known since they were small schoolgirls) in tiny shorts that they wouldn't dare wear outside lookin' for ingredients for the evening family meal and uncle tutsi sidles up: 'what you lookin' for, darlin'?' with a handful of pulchritude and then a grin that only them girls can have and: 'hmmmm...'

2 hours ago, ToddinChonburi said:

Why would you build a house without a kitchen.  

Then why buy a house without a kitchen.  I see many new houses with kitchens. Must be the area.

well, it's a small house in a rural area.  couldn't be much more than 100 sq. meters.  we decided the house wasn't large enough for a kitchen inside anyways.  we've got just enough space to put a table and maybe a couch.  ?

7 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Well I must say I dont see a hint of arrogance here.

Without any consultation you have decided what and where the kitchen shall be.

Now you bleat because the onr who will do most of the kitchen related duties doesnt like it much. 

That's a very presuming and sexist remark.

Do you still live in the 1920s?

Archived