It’s the money: Tour operator commissions key factor undermining Phuket marine tourism safety

rooster59

It’s the money: Tour operator commissions key factor undermining Phuket marine tourism safety 

By Chris Husted

1536915399_1-org.jpg

A Tourist reviews one of many boat tour brochures at a tour kiosk in Phuket Town. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot.

PHUKET: Whether tour operator commissions are the real killer in Phuket’s marine tourism industry was the shattering question posed at a high-calibre panel discussion at Phuket Boat Lagoon last Friday (Sept 7).

The discussion, titled ‘The Expectations of the Phuket Hotel and Tourism industries from the Phuket marine industry, and vice versa’ was held at the Boat Point meeting room at Phuket Boat Lagoon and featured leading figures from the island’s boating fraternity.

The panel speakers comprised Lyndon Ellis, General Manager of Anantara Vacation Club Mai Khao Phuket; Zara Tremlett, the former GM of Yacht Haven Marina; retired international insurance broker Ian Lancaster; and Phuket Yacht Club Commodore Scott Duncanson.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/it-the-money-tour-operator-commissions-key-factor-undermining-phuket-marine-tourism-safety-68627.php#w5GDzqq6bCoOiUsU.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-09-15

"......the Thai government was taking the issue ‘very seriously’ and that the concerns had reached all the way up to the Prime Minister’s office".

Well that surely puts the kiss of death on it. The PM's office is like an enormous pipeline where ideas, plans, promises and dreams go into it but nothing ever comes out the other end. 

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

at a high-calibre panel discussion at Phuket Boat Lagoon l

I note that this "discussion" did not include a representative from any tour operators or seemingly any Thai's at all and no report of any dissenting views.........One way to get a consensus I suppose.......

7 hours ago, Cadbury said:

"......the Thai government was taking the issue ‘very seriously’ and that the concerns had reached all the way up to the Prime Minister’s office".

Well that surely puts the kiss of death on it. The PM's office is like an enormous pipeline where ideas, plans, promises and dreams go into it but nothing ever comes out the other end. 

What about the songs, the denials, the threats, the hubs, is this nothing?

17 hours ago, topt said:

I note that this "discussion" did not include a representative from any tour operators or seemingly any Thai's at all and no report of any dissenting views.........One way to get a consensus I suppose.......

I too noticed the total lack of a Thai name or a Thai representative. After reading through the article though at least they are putting the salient points into the public domain, and coming up with ideas on how to leach out the corruption and backhanders. Something that, I am certain will not happen, indeed, has not yet happened, with any amount of committees, seminars, or buffet lunches attended by relevant local authorities.

Archived